Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

NX350h 12V battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-23, 09:23 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarnshoe
My apologies. I was replying to the part where they said to not us the NX to jumpstart cars. Is that a NX issue or a hybrid issue?
I think this is an hybrid issue. Standard NX350 can be use to jump start other cars. The hybrid is different. That’s why I carry portable jumper in all our cars in our household to help family, friends and strangers out (did that a few times just to make sure the portable jumper works after sitting in the car for a year).
The following 2 users liked this post by lexsc4:
Doug007 (05-10-23), Tarnshoe (05-08-23)
Old 05-08-23, 10:07 PM
Tarnshoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc4
I think this is an hybrid issue. Standard NX350 can be use to jump start other cars. The hybrid is different. That’s why I carry portable jumper in all our cars in our household to help family, friends and strangers out (did that a few times just to make sure the portable jumper works after sitting in the car for a year).
is there a specific portable jumper you recommend?
Old 05-08-23, 10:59 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tarnshoe
is there a specific portable jumper you recommend?
cheap and effective, don’t have to cost $200 like a NOCO. have 1 in my ES350 and 1 in my son’s older RX350. In fact just ordered another today for my wife’s 2 weeks new NX350h.

It sat in a my ES’s trunk for a year and lost 1% charge, help jumped a stranger’s Honda pilot a few weeks ago. The Honda started right up with this jumper.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TOPVISION...rter/515697472
The following users liked this post:
Tarnshoe (05-09-23)
Old 05-09-23, 09:25 AM
Smooth2o
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CdO
Unless the car is charging or discharging (READY) the high voltage battery is internally disconnected. You can only get juice in/out of the HV battery if 12V is applied to the the two internal 'switches'. This is why there is a 12V battery, even in EVs... safety... no 12V, no danger of high voltage. No worries disconnecting the 12V.

Related from the manual:
Observing the following can help suppress battery capacity decline...
Leave a low level of charge in the hybrid battery (traction battery) when leaving the vehicle undriven for a long period of time.
I don’t get it. The question revolved around leaving the vehicle for a long time. So, assume you have a low level of charge in the HV battery by using up all of the EV miles. Somewhere I saw that that used about 70% of the HV battery. So why would leaving the low level of charge result in less depletion of the 12V battery? I assume you meant that if the 12V was disconnected that then the HV battery was then disconnected.

Unless you mean that the engine doesn’t start unless the HV battery is low, but how would that help if you were remote?

Last edited by Smooth2o; 05-09-23 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-10-23, 01:48 AM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Smooth2o
I don’t get it. The question revolved around leaving the vehicle for a long time.
Yes, the HV battery SoC is related to leaving it for vacation, not the 12V battery.
Does that help?
Old 05-10-23, 04:49 AM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

I have had my 22 NC350h for 23000 miles now and have not had a battery issue. That said my digital key won’t download to my phone. It might be a blessing. I prefer to use my key fob anyways
Old 09-28-23, 01:59 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by gcskoor
Yeah, I twice not so quickly learned "the best practice" of the 12v battery in the hybrid the hard way. LOL

I also got the NOCO GBX45 jump starter just for the worst case, my other car and to help others, since the NX should not be use to jump start another car. I also added NOCO Genius 2 charger o maintain the battery.
NOTE:
I just spoke to NOCO Rep today about which charger to use for my 23 NX 450H+Base. They recommend the Genius 5 Charger. All of the GEN#X models are made for boats.

Old 09-28-23, 02:11 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by SgtLip
NOTE:
I just spoke to NOCO Rep today about which charger to use for my 23 NX 450H+Base. They recommend the Genius 5 Charger. All of the GEN#X models are made for boats.
yep. We have a portable jumper in each of our 3 cars in our household. 08 RX350, 17 ES350 and a 24 NX350h. I have used mine a couple of time on my ES350 and help a few others. Works likes a charm every time.
Old 09-28-23, 02:32 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Okay, I have the NOCO GBX45 Booster X. I've had my 12V battery on my PHEV drain down twice now. Was going to use the Booster to jump start but figured that would get me going but may not actually fully charge the 12V which is why it's draining. So that is why I' looking at a charging device.

I'have been using NOCO and there is another thread on the forum where everyone is suggesting CTEK. Can't tell what the difference is. AND I'm not sure I need or want a charger. But I ave to be able to depend on the 12V to get in the car and start it. If not then I'll be using the Booster Box a lot more than necessary in my opinion.

Would you suggest having both and use Booster for emergencies but Charge it maybe once a moth at least to make sure it is always topped off? Appreciate your thoughts.

Old 01-06-24, 01:58 PM
Rodent77
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX 350h 12v battery issues

I have a late 22' 350h Takumi, if I leave it for 10 to 14 days the battery goes flat, it would be nice if the app would warn me it is getting low so I could hop in an give it a run, I've got a booster but had the great idea of keeping it in the boot (trunk), which meant accessing by climbing through from the drivers seat last week. The previous time it happaned we were all packed and ready to go away for the weekend, arrival at the destination was time critical so we ended up taking my wife's car instead, not the sort of thing you expect from a new Toyota product. May be worth investigating a more beefy battery.
Old 01-07-24, 07:00 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 578 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
Okay, I have the NOCO GBX45 Booster X. I've had my 12V battery on my PHEV drain down twice now. Was going to use the Booster to jump start but figured that would get me going but may not actually fully charge the 12V which is why it's draining. So that is why I' looking at a charging device.

I'have been using NOCO and there is another thread on the forum where everyone is suggesting CTEK. Can't tell what the difference is. AND I'm not sure I need or want a charger. But I ave to be able to depend on the 12V to get in the car and start it. If not then I'll be using the Booster Box a lot more than necessary in my opinion.

Would you suggest having both and use Booster for emergencies but Charge it maybe once a moth at least to make sure it is always topped off? Appreciate your thoughts.
I've used both the Genius 5 on my PHEV and have it wired in so I don't to deal with the clips every time. I also have a NOCO Boost Plus GB40 which is enough to boost the car. You have a trickle charger that can help prevent it from losing enough juice and it's actually better to keep the battery maintained than letting it drain all the way. The more times it drain's the more worst the battery gets. You rather prevent it from happening than letting it happen.

This is how I got it installed:

BTW, do you use remote start?
The following 2 users liked this post by lsft:
JPNX (01-29-24), Sallywelsh (03-31-24)
Old 01-07-24, 07:42 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by lsft
I've used both the Genius 5 on my PHEV and have it wired in so I don't to deal with the clips every time. I also have a NOCO Boost Plus GB40 which is enough to boost the car. You have a trickle charger that can help prevent it from losing enough juice and it's actually better to keep the battery maintained than letting it drain all the way. The more times it drain's the more worst the battery gets. You rather prevent it from happening than letting it happen.

This is how I got it installed:
https://youtu.be/ZeeoeTHPZMs

BTW, do you use remote start?
In the amount of time I owned the car, 9 months, I used it twice. I always forgot about it until I was walking to the car.

lsft (01-07-24)
Old 06-29-24, 09:00 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Went to dealer yesterday to drop off the vehicle and today to pickup my NX.

Summary:
1st they complained I had an aftermarket dashcam (it shouldn't be the problem since it's not ON when vehicle is OFF)
2nd they indicated they tested and charged the battery fine with the DCA-8000. The tech indicated that the parasitic draw was between 20-30 milliamps which is between specs still.
3rd the report indicated if the smart key is nearby it will cause amps to climb about 5 amps. If the smart key is over 9 FT or more, it shouldn't be a problem per test.

lsft (06-30-24)
Old 06-29-24, 09:31 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
3rd the report indicated if the smart key is nearby it will cause amps to climb about 5 amps. If the smart key is over 9 FT or more, it shouldn't be a problem per test.
The 9 foot specification is great, actionable information to have, assuming its correct/verified by Lexus and the tech was trained to parrot it. In my home, I was worried what the distance was (it now seems the distance from my garage to where I keep the key every night is greater than 9 feet) - so I had bought a
Faraday cage-pouch Faraday cage-pouch
to stash the key in, every night.

The 2nd key fob (now that I finally have it), I have turned off and stash in different room that is also more than 9 feet away from the garage.

Last edited by wrinkle; 06-29-24 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-30-24, 08:12 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkle
The 9 foot specification is great, actionable information to have, assuming its correct/verified by Lexus and the tech was trained to parrot it. In my home, I was worried what the distance was (it now seems the distance from my garage to where I keep the key every night is greater than 9 feet) - so I had bought a Faraday cage-pouch to stash the key in, every night.

The 2nd key fob (now that I finally have it), I have turned off and stash in different room that is also more than 9 feet away from the garage.
I tested that theory on 9ft away yesterday by placing the key 9 feet away from garage. Surprisingly the tech was spot on. I measured the change in voltage and it's a very small drop have the key far away from vehicle.

I was searching for a faraday box on amazon yesterday but didn't buy it yet. Thanks for suggestion on the pouch, I have to check it out.
wrinkle (06-30-24)

Quick Reply: NX350h 12V battery