Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

NX350h 12V battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-24, 08:20 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkle
The 9 foot specification is great, actionable information to have, assuming its correct/verified by Lexus and the tech was trained to parrot it. In my home, I was worried what the distance was (it now seems the distance from my garage to where I keep the key every night is greater than 9 feet) - so I had bought a Faraday cage-pouch to stash the key in, every night.

The 2nd key fob (now that I finally have it), I have turned off and stash in different room that is also more than 9 feet away from the garage.
Realistically, I don't think that there will be much to be gained from this. On my two 450h+ models, the fobs are religiously, either turned off or kept in a Faraday box which is over thirty feet from the cars. Still, the SOC declines dramatically overnight, typically going from 99 to 100% down to 68 to 70% within 24 hours. Every three to five days, depending upon usage of both vehicles, I just put them in READY mode for 45 to 60 minutes to keep the SOC to a decent level.
The app that I have on my iPhone, from my Quicklynks battery monitors ($29), gives me a heads-up when they drop to a low level. While I would be the first to admit that this is a bit of a PITA but, it is better than the alternative.....that being a croaked battery. I've only had that occur one time, which prompted the battery monitors. So far, this is a good workaround until Lexus moves this &%#*@! issue to the top of their fix-it agenda. With battery failures occurring, I have to assume that they are looking into it. You are, aren't you Lexus?

Last edited by StefanoS; 06-30-24 at 08:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
weaver483 (06-30-24)
Old 06-30-24, 08:25 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

The dealer tech wrote a book on why the key fob communication with the vehicle if it's 9 ft or less while measuring the amp draw. It's up to those to believe or test themself. Just sharing my experience from what was shared from the dealer experience.
Old 06-30-24, 09:27 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
The app that I have on my iPhone, from my Quicklynks battery monitors ($29), gives me a heads-up when they drop to a low level. While I would be the first to admit that this is a bit of a PITA but, it is better than the alternative.....that being a croaked battery. I've only had that occur one time, which prompted the battery monitors.
I'm thinking that the stock battery (Panasonic, not dealer provided) is designed to be different in that its resting voltage and SoC are designed to be "normally" lower than run-of-the-mill 12 V flooded lead-acid batteries - given that everyone finds the voltage lower than normal, and CCA is about 335 A despite it is 60 A-h (in my RX450H+). Panasonic may have designed it for this kind of high-drain but no-starter-motor CCA kind of cars. If that is the case, the SoC shown by the battery monitor may be overly pessimistic in its warnings, because it assumes a run-of-the-mill 12 V battery, not the Panasonic one. Just mentioning this theory, in case you want to try lessen your PITA by ignoring until the SoC drops further than what triggers alarms from the monitor.

I specifically did not get the battery replaced at the dealer at 5 K mile service, because I wanted to retain the Panasonic battery now, rather than have it replaced with a run-of-the-mill lead acid by the dealer. I have not been charging the 12 V proactively more frequently than 1 month+ intervals, and have not experienced a dead car other than on two days in winter.
The following users liked this post:
StefanoS (06-30-24)