Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Help - Weird sound coming from the front - GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 09:11 PM
Jxzx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help - Weird sound coming from the front - GS450h

Hi,

Nice to meet you all!

I’m new here but I’ve been a Lexus owner for more than three years now and I completely love them.

But recently I’ve noticed a kind of strange sound coming from the front of my GS450h. I can only hear it from inside the car when I park it in my garage with driver side window winded down. Since it’s a hybrid model, so putting it into P gear mode would turn the engine off. So basically the strange sound is the only thing I can hear in that situation.

The sound is a bit difficult to describe (it goes like “da da da da” in a very high frequency, like the sound of cooktop induction or power regenerator running), so I’ve uploaded a video clip on YouTube for your reference - https://youtube.com/shorts/jFy9JlrHpso?feature=share

I’m a bit worried that something is faulty here. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1679.MOV (16.57 MB, 14 views)

Last edited by Jxzx; 05-06-23 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Put in video link
Old 05-06-23, 09:23 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 419 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Jxzx
H (it goes like “da da da da” in a very high frequency, like the sound of cooktop induction), so I’ve attached a video clip here for your reference.

I’m a bit worried that something is faulty here. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
You forgot to attach the video, but this post reminded me of this....

Old 05-06-23, 09:55 PM
Jxzx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PGA71
You forgot to attach the video, but this post reminded me of this....

Da da da
Thanks for replying, it's a nice song btw .
I can see the attachment from my side, no sure why you can't see it. But if it doesn't apprear, here is a YouTube video that I uploaded - https://youtube.com/shorts/jFy9JlrHpso?feature=share

Last edited by Jxzx; 05-06-23 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-07-23, 11:03 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,638 Posts

@Jxzx - You should have posted about this in the Hybrid Technology forum since it pertains to a GS 450h. (Maybe a mod will move it for you.)

I don't hear anything in your video...
Old 05-07-23, 02:23 PM
Jxzx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
@Jxzx - You should have posted about this in the Hybrid Technology forum since it pertains to a GS 450h. (Maybe a mod will move it for you.)

I don't hear anything in your video...
Hi ​​​@bclexus, thanks for the correction. The sound can be heard If you volume up a bit.
Old 05-07-23, 04:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Hi ​​​@bclexus, thanks for the correction. The sound can be heard If you volume up a bit.
I ran the audio gain up really high and all I hear is a rather soft sound of something spinning or rotating, possibly with it barely scraping another surface or object. It may be something like the HVAC blower bearing because the blower runs for a while after being shut down. The GS, and in particular the 450h, has a lot of systems (e.g. pumps) that will operate after shut down and at various time points after the car's engine and traction battery are no longer being used.

I would not be concerned about that 'da-da-da-da' sound (or whatever it is) you hear one iota.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (05-11-23)
Old 05-07-23, 04:34 PM
Jxzx
Driver School Candidate

I ran the audio gain up really high and all I hear is a rather soft sound of something spinning or rotating, possibly with it barely scraping another surface or object. It may be something like the HVAC blower bearing because the blower runs for a while after being shut down. The GS, and in particular the 450h, has a lot of systems (e.g. pumps) that will operate after shut down and at various time points after the car's engine and traction battery are no longer being used.

I would not be concerned about that 'da-da-da-da' sound (or whatever it is) you hear one iota.
Thanks @bclexus
That sound of something spinning is the one that concerned me as I didn’t hear it before. And I just had a maintainer job done with the dealer.
Old 05-08-23, 11:20 PM
Jxzx
Driver School Candidate

Ok, to everyone who might face the same thing in the future, I’ve checked the sound with my dealer and they said it’s the sound of ABS actuator which is normal. So nothing to worry about.

Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (05-11-23)
Old 05-09-23, 05:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, to everyone who might face the same thing in the future, I’ve checked the sound with my dealer and they said it’s the sound of ABS actuator which is normal. So nothing to worry about.

Cheers.
@Jxzx - Is this the sound (in the video) you're questioning, which is from the ABS actuator pump? It's more of a rapid ratcheting sound, not the da-da-da-da sound you originally described.

Old 05-09-23, 02:07 PM
Jxzx
Driver School Candidate

@Jxzx - Is this the sound (in the video) you're questioning, which is from the ABS actuator pump? It's more of a rapid ratcheting sound, not the da-da-da-da sound you originally described.

https://youtu.be/jkRWzFCX0PQ
Yeah it’s different. Not sure if ABS actuator would produce a different sound?