Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

2023 RX350h Oil Change - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 11:22 PM
2023Rex350
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Greetings all. I looked but didn't see any post on the RX350h oil change process so being I was due for an oil change, here are some photos.

Tools needed :

10mm and 14mm sockets with wrench
oil filter removal cap tool or similar wrench
oil filter and drain plug gasket
4.8 quarts 0W-16 full synthetic oil
drain pan, clean funnel and rags

Park the RX on a level surface. For best access, jack the RX up on the front passenger side and use safety stands to secure in place. ( Engine is OFF and parking brake is ON. )
Open the hood and pull the dip stick. Wipe the dip stick with a clean rag. Loosen the oil fill cap.
Go under the RX and locate the oil change access panel. It is held in place by four 10mm screws. Photo below :

Remove the four screws and drop the panel. You now have access to the filter and drain plug. The photo below shows the location of the drain plug and filter mount ( filter removed and surfaces cleaned and checked for NO gasket left behind).

Position the drain pan below the filter and loosen the oil filter & allow it to drain. Then remove the filter. Next is a picture of the factory oil filter. Check to ensure the oil filter gasket is still on the filter.

This is the current replacement filter from Toyota/Lexus.

Use the 14mm socket and wrench to remove the drain plug. While this is draining install the new oil filter as per SOP ( 3/4 turn after contact ). The oil filter gasket comes pre-lubed on Toyota filters.
If you use an aftermarket filter, lube the filter gasket with clean oil. Clean the oil drain plug and install new gasket.
Beware : The factory drain plug gasket was firmly stuck on the oil pan and did not come off with drain plug. I had to pop it off with a knife blade.

Oil drain plug with new gasket. ( Oil drain plug does not contain a magnet.)

Once the oil is finished draining, clean the oil pan drain plug area and install drain plug with new gasket. Lexus has an official torque setting for the drain plug but I'm not positive of the exact value. I just go
by feel when the drain plug crush washer starts to compress.

Fully insert the dip stick, add 4.8 quarts of oil, reinstall the oil cap and start the engine. Allow the engine to run for 30 seconds and turn it off. Check under the RX for any leaks by the drain plug and
oil filter. If everything is good, re-install the access panel with the four 10mm screws. Remove the jack stands and lower the vehicle. Allow about 15 minutes and check the dip stick oil level. It should
be very close to full. Adjust as necessary. Properly dispose of the used oil and filter.

Hmm, should you replace the oil drain plug gasket each time you do your oil change? I just bought the filter and oil from a local Lexus dealership and I'm surprised they didn't offer me a new gasket? Thanks!
Old 06-13-23, 08:53 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 2023Rex350
Hmm, should you replace the oil drain plug gasket each time you do your oil change? I just bought the filter and oil from a local Lexus dealership and I'm surprised they didn't offer me a new gasket? Thanks!
I get the oil filters online in a case of ten. I buy them from a place that includes a 10 pack of gaskets. Officially, Toyota sells them as an induvial item for a mere $1.16 each. Below is a photo of the gasket package with part number :

That being said, I typically use each gasket twice before replacing it. The factory and most quick oil change places over torque the drain plug and really compress/flatten the gasket, so I replaced it this time.
As far as the drain plug official torque spec, I found 29 and 30 FtLbs on a couple of different sites.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 06-14-23 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-02-24, 08:33 PM
pakbet
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

RX350h is my 3rd lexus. The first 2 (RX350 2007 and IS250 2008) have 190,000 Kms and 325,000 kms respectively and both are still in great condition. I believe that the regular oil change every 7,500kms (rather than 15,000 kms Lexus recommendation) had contributed to such longevity and reliability.

I went to Lexus/Toyota service centre this morning to buy oil for the RX350h. To my surprise they only sell 0w20 though the manual says 0w16 is the preference. I am also told that if I have them service my car, that hey will be using 0w20.

I have also read somewhere that "The owner’s manual states that you can use 0W-20 for one service interval but 0W-16 must be used for the next oil change." Having said, I cannot see that statement in the RX350h manual. It was probably from a previous model. The manual only says preference is 0w16.

From what I have read 0w16 is for fuel economy. Does anyone know if 0w20 will have any detrimental effect to the engine?

Old 01-02-24, 09:41 PM
fgina
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pakbet
RX350h is my 3rd lexus. The first 2 (RX350 2007 and IS250 2008) have 190,000 Kms and 325,000 kms respectively and both are still in great condition. I believe that the regular oil change every 7,500kms (rather than 15,000 kms Lexus recommendation) had contributed to such longevity and reliability.

I went to Lexus/Toyota service centre this morning to buy oil for the RX350h. To my surprise they only sell 0w20 though the manual says 0w16 is the preference. I am also told that if I have them service my car, that hey will be using 0w20.

I have also read somewhere that "The owner’s manual states that you can use 0W-20 for one service interval but 0W-16 must be used for the next oil change." Having said, I cannot see that statement in the RX350h manual. It was probably from a previous model. The manual only says preference is 0w16.

From what I have read 0w16 is for fuel economy. Does anyone know if 0w20 will have any detrimental effect to the engine?
use mobile 1 0w16 from amazon/walmart.
The following 2 users liked this post by fgina:
Freds430 (01-03-24), ggebhardt (01-03-24)
Old 01-02-24, 09:54 PM
pakbet
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I have considered Mobil 1 as an option. I am located in Australia. For some reasons, 0w16 seems to be limited here and Mobil 1 is almost twice the price if I include shipping cost! The cost is not the issue though. I have 3 years free servicing (0r 3 x every 15000 km) included in my package and if Lexus we will be using 0w20 it sort of defeats the purpose? I would like to do change oil in between myself.
Old 01-03-24, 04:53 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by fgina
use mobile 1 0w16 from amazon/walmart.
I buy by Mobil 1 from Walmart five quart jug for $23 on sale and take it to my Lexus dealer who charges me just for labor.

Last edited by Freds430; 01-03-24 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-04-24, 10:17 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Nice write-up and very thorough. One thing I might add, and it is purely a suggestion. If you do your own oil changes on a fairly routine basis, you may want to add
a Fumoto drain valve to your oil pan at your next change out. I have installed these on every vehicle that I have had since they were first released in the marketplace many years ago. There are now several different options/versions to choose from and you can easily find them on both Amazon and eBay. It saves a little time, a bit less messy and does not require removing the drain plug and replacing the seal washer each time.

Old 01-04-24, 10:23 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

It is true that 0w16 is not yet very commonplace, as only Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura are currently using it but, I suppose with CAFE requirement pressure there will be other automobile manufacturers that may follow. I found it at my local Wal-Mart and have seen it on Amazon for about the same cost. Interesting that a local Lexus dealer would use 0w20, even though it is not really the correct specification for the engine. It most likely will not cause any harm but, why would they take the chance?
Old 01-04-24, 12:45 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

If your going to try a Fumoto drain valve I would recommend not purchasing it until a few days before you are going to change your oil. From the reviews I read, lots of people got valves that wouldn't fit. Some were obstructed by covers, exhaust, etc. Others were the wrong size. Some claimed they leaked. Amazon only gives you 30 days to return so your out of luck returning if you order too far ahead.

also 1 person wrote "Be aware it will not allow all the oil to drain out. I opened the valve to drain my oil and waited till it was coming out in drops, then I removed the device by unscrewing it from the drain hole and to my surprise more oil flowed out steadily, approx 0.5 Ltrs. So you need to weigh up the pros and cons of this."

I think it's a neat idea but not sure I'm sold yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by jahnjva:
autotech13 (01-05-24), nowlen (04-22-24)
Old 01-04-24, 01:14 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Yes, there will be a small amount of oil remaining in the oil pan but, nowhere close to .5 liter. A couple of ounces would be more like it. In any event, I have never had any issues with these on any of my vehicles. A few ounces of oil is not significant, as it will mix with the new oil. A fiber seal washer is included with the drain valve and this will seal just as well as an aluminum or copper seal washer. You do need to make certain that you are ordering the correct size and thread pitch for whatever vehicle you have. Most Toyota/Lexus models use the same one.
The following 2 users liked this post by StefanoS:
fordvferrari (01-04-24), WellsB (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 02:39 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

I use an extractor for my VW but it makes more sense for the EA888 engine since the filter is on top no need to lift the car up to do an oil change.
Old 01-18-24, 08:06 PM
winpakbob
Driver

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
Default DIY Parts Tip

Hopefully, this post is allowed as it is provided only to help fellow DIYers out there and not to promote any website or online personality.

So, I now have a 2023 Lexus RX 350h and I declined the two free oil changes for my free 5,000 and 10,000 services because I was afraid they would be using oil from a bulk tank and I wanted to be sure what I was getting. I still do them myself, use OEM parts and Mobil 1 synthetic oil. By the way this car gives me the cleanest, easiest and quickest oil changes I ever did in the many years I have done my own service.

So, for my 3,000 mile change and 7,000 mile change I bought the filter and gasket from my local dealer. Well, the first time, I was charged a little over msrp with the oil filter price at $5.97 in May. The second time in November, they charged me double the msrp at $8.50. Thanks to The Car Care Nut on YouTube, I just bought 5 of them for $4.21 each through parts.lexus.com. The kicker is they are being shipped free to me from the SAME local dealership. Crazy when you think that I would be happy to pick them up if they would honor these MSRP prices available online direct from Lexus. Lots of great Toyota/Lexus info from this guy.
Old 01-19-24, 05:44 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

CCN is great! He's been my mechanic since he opened his shop and I drive 150 miles to it. In my 45 years of driving, no one has ever changed my oil but me. Ya just never know what can happen when someone else changes it.
My luck is that the oil change jockey was flipping burgers the day before he started and screw something up.
The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
autotech13 (01-19-24), winpakbob (01-19-24)
Old 01-19-24, 08:23 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

My local dealer did a similar thing, they charged me $ 8 and change at the dealership. Then with the EOM Lexus parts place they marked up the online price 12% over what all the other dealers were charging online. For those who have not used the national OEM online parts dept, you have to pick a dealer and they are the ones that actually send you the parts. Lexus has suggested retail prices and most dealers use that but some like my dealer get greedy and mark them up further so it's always good to check at least 1 other dealer. At Christmas time they had a special for 10 days and offered free shipping for orders over $100.00 I stocked up on wiper blades, air and cabin filters.
Old 01-19-24, 09:35 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

If you have the part number, check prices at a Toyota dealer too.

While our Lexus dealer doesn't price-gouge, a nearby Toyo dealer DOES undercut him by ~5%.

Quick Reply: 2023 RX350h Oil Change - DIY