Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

2023 RX350h Oil Change - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24 | 06:27 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pakbet
RX350h is my 3rd lexus. The first 2 (RX350 2007 and IS250 2008) have 190,000 Kms and 325,000 kms respectively and both are still in great condition. I believe that the regular oil change every 7,500kms (rather than 15,000 kms Lexus recommendation) had contributed to such longevity and reliability.

I went to Lexus/Toyota service centre this morning to buy oil for the RX350h. To my surprise they only sell 0w20 though the manual says 0w16 is the preference. I am also told that if I have them service my car, that hey will be using 0w20.

I have also read somewhere that "The owner’s manual states that you can use 0W-20 for one service interval but 0W-16 must be used for the next oil change." Having said, I cannot see that statement in the RX350h manual. It was probably from a previous model. The manual only says preference is 0w16.

From what I have read 0w16 is for fuel economy. Does anyone know if 0w20 will have any detrimental effect to the engine?
Not sure anyone really knows:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4club/co...0next%20change..
Old 03-07-24 | 06:48 AM
WellsB
Advanced

I would expect 0W16 to flow more quickly upon startup. That's important with a hybrid that is constantly starting and stopping it's engine. Keep in mind that people were fearful of the 20 weight oils when they first came out and they have turned out to be great.
The following users liked this post:
StefanoS (03-08-24)
Old 03-07-24 | 06:52 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by WellsB
I would expect 0W16 to flow more quickly upon startup. That's important with a hybrid that is constantly starting and stopping it's engine. Keep in mind that people were fearful of the 20 weight oils when they first came out and they have turned out to be great.
Engine oil pumps have changed as well with electronically controlled flow and pressure.
nowlen (04-22-24)
Old 03-08-24 | 09:01 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WellsB
Lower viscosity oils, such as 0W-16 and 0W-20 are now predominantly in use, as they have been driven by US government imposed CAFE standards. That is what it is all about.
Old 03-11-24 | 05:46 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Default For diy'ers that change their own oil

I just bought this threaded funnel from Amazon, as I thought that it would be useful at oil change time. In the past, I have always used a plastic funnel when pouring oil into the valve cover oil port after doing a drain and filter change. The funnels are always a bit sloppy when adding the oil, especially when using a four or five quart/liter jug. These are threaded at the bottom and screw right into the valve cover, using a seal ring at the bottom of the neck. No more floppy funnel with a narrow opening at the bottom. This should make things a little less messy in the future. This fits both of my Lexi and my Toyota Sequoia so, I am good to go. About $16. Here's a link....
Amazon Amazon
The following 2 users liked this post by StefanoS:
Carbuff2 (03-12-24), winpakbob (04-23-24)
Old 04-15-24 | 04:25 PM
CAPTBob
Rookie

All, a while ago I bought the funnel linked above that screws into the oil fill opening. Today I changed the oil myself for the first time on my wife's RX350. Her RX is the turbo gas version. When it got time to add the new oil, I discovered that the funnel won't screw into the oil fill opening. The plastic cover over the top of the engine that directs air to the rear of the engine and over the turbo prevents the funnel from screwing in. It still kind of works.and didn't leak but I couldn't screw it in. The rest of the oil change was uneventful. I do find that the thin oil (0W-20 for the turbo RX engine) makes it hard to see the oil level on the dipstick, especially when the oil is new. FWIW, I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 (purchased @ Walmart in a 5 qt. jug) and the OEM Toyota/Lexus oil filter (Part #90915-YZZN1).

Brighton, MI
CAPT, USN (Ret.)

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider Veloce (Owned since new)
2023 Lexus RX 350
2024 Audi A6

Last edited by CAPTBob; 04-15-24 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Add new signature
Old 04-15-24 | 04:59 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Why not pull the engine cover off? It pops right off with a tug.
Old 04-15-24 | 07:28 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Interesting, I use one of those screw in types and fortunately the 350h engine doesn't have that air flow director.
Old 04-22-24 | 06:27 AM
nowlen
Rookie

No turbo, no need for a deflector to cool it.
​​​​​​
pedser (04-23-24)
Old 08-22-24 | 02:18 PM
mattyc200
9th Gear

Fantastic write-up. I just did my first change on Lexus today. Dealership did number 1 and cranked down the filter WAY too tight. I skipped jacking it up, was able to shimmy underneath which saved some time.
Old 08-22-24 | 02:54 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattyc200
Fantastic write-up. I just did my first change on Lexus today. Dealership did number 1 and cranked down the filter WAY too tight. I skipped jacking it up, was able to shimmy underneath which saved some time.
This is great to know. I actually have a couple of double thick 2X6s that are nailed together with an angled cut on one end. Sounds like they'll work great as a ramp to do an oil change. The extra 4" should de fine.
Carbuff2 (08-23-24)
Old 08-23-24 | 06:14 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

My experience with Hondas is that the factory uses Sumo wrestlers to tighten the filters. Make sure you have a cap wrench that fits the tiny filter properly, before you start in earnest.

After finding that the dealer SAID they changed the cabin filter, but didn't, I now have the urge to mark the oil filter to assure replacement when they do the next oil change....
Trust, but verify.
Old 08-23-24 | 09:33 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
After finding that the dealer SAID they changed the cabin filter, but didn't, I now have the urge to mark the oil filter to assure replacement when they do the next oil change....
Trust, but verify.
I have essentially decided to avoid Lexus dealers for cabin and engine/air filter changes as I cannot trust them and don't want to pay their overcharging. Do the air filter changes not seem like DYI to you, as others seem to have noted and do, in the forum (primarily in the NX forum) ?

Or are the air filter changes sufficiently complex to have dealer/shop do it, for the RX ?
Old 08-23-24 | 10:24 AM
tammap
Pit Crew

I'm almost 70, and I'm a retired automotive repair and information services professional. I'm still DIY on almost everything on my vehicles.

For those who DIY oil change on your car, don't just give it a oil change, give it the best oil change.

Prefill your oil filter to the brim after the last bubble escapes from the oil filter hole, tighten your oil drain plug, attach the oil funnel to the oil fill hole, tilt your oil filter at 90 degrees on top of the funnel and let the oil drain out into your engine. Once the oil almost stops dripping, install your oil filter.

Your chains and valve tappets will sing a very happy tune when you do that.

Cheers
Old 08-23-24 | 10:26 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wrinkle
I have essentially decided to avoid Lexus dealers for cabin and engine/air filter changes as I cannot trust them and don't want to pay their overcharging. Do the air filter changes not seem like DYI to you, as others seem to have noted and do, in the forum (primarily in the NX forum) ?

Or are the air filter changes sufficiently complex to have dealer/shop do it, for the RX ?
I have always done 90% of the service on all of the cars that I have owned. Yes, I have accepted their one or two "free" oil changes and "inspections" but, the rest of the service has been my doing. Neither the cabin filter nor the engine air filter swap-out is any big deal at all and can be done in your garage or driveway. Oil and filter changes are also a breeze on these cars, as well. I was surprised to find that the spin-on oil filter in both of my 450h+ models is adjacent to the oil drain plug. You simply remove that little fiber access panel under the engine and voila, there they are. There are most likely You Tube clips available online for those who may be a little gun shy. In most cases, a franchise dealer will nick you for a couple of hours labor to change the cabin and air filters when, in reality it can be done in a fraction of that time.
The following 2 users liked this post by StefanoS:
Carbuff2 (08-26-24), wrinkle (08-23-24)

Quick Reply: 2023 RX350h Oil Change - DIY