Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

2014 GS 450h hybrid battery life?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-24, 07:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
I think it's very rare for the traction battery to die completely.. the individual cells typically degrade, but it's not like one day you're fine and the next day you wouldn't be able to start your car because your entire battery pack died. I'd imagine there would be signs to watch out (i.e. decreased efficiency) and/or dash lights that would appear before then.

Btw - check your friend requests on here; I try to add everyone that owns a 4GSh.

~ im2bz2p345
I agree, it would be very rare for a traction battery to die completely without any previous indication of a problem.

Starting in 2020 Toyota increased their hybrid battery warranty to 10 years from date of first use, or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This enhancement really serves to add confidence that Toyota's hybrid batteries are built to last with excellent reliability.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-01-24 at 06:49 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 08-02-24, 04:24 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Just one update, as in nothing to update. The few times driven around (10 mile round trips), no issues. I did put the Battery tender on after about three days of sitting, though it didn’t stay on for longer than two hours. So until and if the Check Hybrid system message comes back, does it hurt anything to top off the 12V battery on a regular basis? I have read some posts that people have left a battery charger/tender on all the time when not in use. I do not plan on going to that extreme, but maybe after two or three days of not driving, top it off. Just looking for opinions. Thanks all.
The following users liked this post:
spineman (08-13-24)
Old 08-02-24, 04:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hues10
Just one update, as in nothing to update. The few times driven around (10 mile round trips), no issues. I did put the Battery tender on after about three days of sitting, though it didn’t stay on for longer than two hours. So until and if the Check Hybrid system message comes back, does it hurt anything to top off the 12V battery on a regular basis? I have read some posts that people have left a battery charger/tender on all the time when not in use. I do not plan on going to that extreme, but maybe after two or three days of not driving, top it off. Just looking for opinions. Thanks all.
@Hues10 - You may want to post this in your Check Hybrid System Message thread where I think it best belongs, and where I think you meant to post it...

Last edited by bclexus; 08-02-24 at 05:39 AM. Reason: orthography
Hues10 (08-02-24)
Old 08-02-24, 05:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Just one update, as in nothing to update. The few times driven around (10 mile round trips), no issues. I did put the Battery tender on after about three days of sitting, though it didn’t stay on for longer than two hours. So until and if the Check Hybrid system message comes back, does it hurt anything to top off the 12V battery on a regular basis? I have read some posts that people have left a battery charger/tender on all the time when not in use. I do not plan on going to that extreme, but maybe after two or three days of not driving, top it off. Just looking for opinions. Thanks all

It shouldn't hurt anything to leave it On (or top-it-off on a regular basis). It would be similar to driving while the battery is charging but likely on a lesser amperage output charge level. Some battery maintainers (tenders) are designed to automatically reduce the charging level to a 'float mode' or actually stop charging at a specific 'charged up' level.
spineman (08-13-24)
Old 08-26-24, 07:06 AM
LEOW
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not an expert, but once the hybrid battery dies, the car is dead, as in it becomes a Nova, or no go. The technical reason is beyond my knowledge, but something akin to the battery, transmission, ICE, and electric motor are all tied in together. One goes, the car shuts down. At least I have read somewhere that if your car doesn't start (not from 12v battery problem), have the car towed to the dealership as it is DOA. So I will turn it around, let's say the engine "blows" while your are driving, does the Hybrid battery allow you to drive it for the last mile or two, or does the car shut down as well? Not that I ever want to find out, just hypothetical.
The eCVT transmission requires the use of the smaller of the motor-generators (MG1) that is connected to the sun gear of the planetary gear set. The rotational speed and direction of the sun gear determines the speed ratio of the planet carrier to which the ICE is connected to and the outer gear, which is connected to the drive shaft. The MG1 can only be powered by current from the high-voltage battery. So, with the traction battery dead, the car will be DOA.
Im2bz2p345 (08-26-24)
Old 09-01-24, 05:03 AM
LEOW
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bclexus
In my opinion there is no need at all being concerned with the age of the traction battery. The hybrid-related components, which includes the traction battery, has a 8 year - 100,000 mile warranty. I think the age is probably less of a factor than the mileage. I foresee the traction battery lasting at least 200k miles which translates the age to be at least 16 years. Will you still have your GS 450h when it is 16 years old in 2031? Will you still want a 16 year-old car in 2031 with its outdated technology and features?

I suspect there will be cost-saving options to refresh the traction battery for people with old hybrid and EV vehicles that want to keep then running. I'd be far more concerned about keeping the car out of being an accident victim and hoping all the electronics continue to work over the coming 8-10 years. You and I both know it is highly unlikely either one of us will still have our GS 450h at 200k miles or when our car is 16 years old. People need to get over the idea or view that they'll keep a car forever. It never happens quite like people envision it will.
I'd love to keep my car for as long as possible unless shop time and the cost of maintenance and repairs begin to accumulate and reach intolerable levels. My wife's 19-year-old Mitsubishi Colt has some dings on the rear bumper and the infotainment system no longer works but everything else works perfectly. It still drives like new. 130,000 miles on the clock. No reason not to keep this reliable daily driver almost exclusively used in the city.

As for my Lexus GS 450h model year 2012, I'd love to keep it for a decade or so. I know I may have to buy a new or a used traction battery or refurbish the existing one some years down the road depending on the miles driven and the condition of the rest of the car. I've never given a **** about the latest and the greatest gizmos. I care about comfort and reliability and the GS is top notch in both respects. There's nothing greater than an old car that still runs fine. I hate the consumerist throwaway culture, which is why Lexus is the only premium car brand that I tend to trust.
Old 09-02-24, 01:22 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

In Sydney the OE traction battery I was quoted $3900 fitted. Aftermarket batteries about $2700 fitted so not that expensive if you can get another 12-15 years from it.
LEOW (09-02-24)
Old 09-02-24, 06:44 AM
LEOW
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yeah, I wish the GS 450h was capable of traveling a decent number of miles at a reasonable speed in EV Mode. That is the one and only drawback I have. It's too bad there's not a modification to make that wish come true. Seems likely it could be done if only the traction battery had more oomph to it...

I appreciate the way the GS 450h traction battery adds power in combination with the ICE and also how it helps save fuel, but for it to really stand out in current-day EV technology offerings, it definitely falls short. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoy it.

I too am interested to see where the EV market takes us in the near future.
The GS 450h is self-charging. The traction battery is there only to improve the average gas mileage by allowing the ICE to run at an optimal rev a greater percentage of the time. It already does a pretty good job slashing the fuel consumption. A larger battery would only cost more without a substantial benefit unless you turned the car into a PHEV.

I've never used the EV mode and most likely never will. I want to keep the number of charge/discharge cycles to a minimum to extend the battery life as much as possible. The EV mode isn't particularly useful anyway as the traction battery capacity is smallish. I believe it's only there to impress buyers and journalists and not much else.