Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

System malfunction error on dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 12:18 PM
Flonie18
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default update on 2024 Rx 500H F sport "Hybrid malfunction"

Picked up my loaner this am(2023 RX 350) and actually saw my F sport in the bay there. Its 7 hrs later and just got a call from Lexus service Dept saying they are still diagnosing what exactly is causing this "Hybrid Malfunction "issue. The Rep informed me the check engine light and various other alerts are still active. They are investigating problems with the 12V battery that is causing communication issues with the main system. They also told me they have contacted Lexus Corp concerning this issue. He was very calm and pleasant but sounded down a little and whern i asked he said this is such a rare occurrence that he is baffled to explain it. So.....tomorrow is another day.
Old 12-21-23, 05:45 AM
bableck
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Persistent System Malfunction errors on 2024 RX350

Anyone experienced getting “System Malfunction - Visit Dealer’” and/or “Advanced Park Malfunction - Visit Dealer“ dashboard error messages on their new vehicle?

I took possession of a new 2024 RX350 Luxury car eleven days ago and have received both sets of messages twice in the first two days. The dealer found error logs and reset the dash on the first day of occurrence but messages reappeared the next day with the car going back to the dealer. The car has effectively been at the dealer the entire time. Latest status from service is a possible pin-fit issue on one of the electronic harness connectors going to the clearance sonar ecu (computer). They are trying to straighten and re-connect or may have to replace the harnes supposedly.

Anyone else having this type of failure?

STATUS UPDATE

Got the car back today after nine days at the dealer. Problem appears to have been solved. Supposed issue was:identified a pin-fit issue with one of the connectors that go to the clearance sonar ecu(computer).. at this point may be able to repair by adding more tension to harness or may need to be replaced.

They ended up being able to fix/straighten and reseat the connector rather than replacing the cable bundle. My fingers crossed that it doesn't return.

Last edited by bableck; 12-22-23 at 01:37 PM. Reason: U-dated staris
Old 12-22-23, 01:02 PM
Flonie18
7th Gear

Default Now getting concerned

Well. today is day 5 of the dealership having my 2024 RX 500H F Sport and its a little concerning that yesterday no one even called me to update me and today i left a vm for the service Rep and no call back and now i just spoke to the original Sales person who sold me the car and he said he would go check on it and that was 3 hrs ago with no call back. I had a similar experience a few years back but that was GMC/Dodge....thats one of the reasons i chose to go with Lexus this time. How can a business sell you a $70K+ product and then not give you updates when you have problems within the first month?? Should i be going in there?
Should i speak to higher ups at the dealership or Lexus Corp?/....any advice folks?
Old 12-22-23, 01:35 PM
bableck
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the car back today after nine days at the dealer. Problem appears to have been solved. Supposed issue was:identified a pin-fit issue with one of the connectors that go to the clearance sonar ecu(computer).. at this point may be able to repair by adding more tension to harness or may need to be replaced.

They ended up being able to fix/straighten and reseat the connector rather than replacing the cable bundle. My fingers crossed that it doesn't return.
The following users liked this post:
Flonie18 (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 02:43 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like the same issue I had at the dealership before they shipped car out to me.

At first they couldn’t figure it out and supposedly said they had a Lexus rep come out and verify the issue. Probably the guy went there to log the issue and bring back findings to corporate and have manufacturing look into it before producing more RXs.

I haven’t seen my error messages since I last posted which I think is a good sign and I hope I don’t see them again ever.

Originally Posted by bableck
Anyone experienced getting “System Malfunction - Visit Dealer’” and/or “Advanced Park Malfunction - Visit Dealer“ dashboard error messages on their new vehicle?

I took possession of a new 2024 RX350 Luxury car eleven days ago and have received both sets of messages twice in the first two days. The dealer found error logs and reset the dash on the first day of occurrence but messages reappeared the next day with the car going back to the dealer. The car has effectively been at the dealer the entire time. Latest status from service is a possible pin-fit issue on one of the electronic harness connectors going to the clearance sonar ecu (computer). They are trying to straighten and re-connect or may have to replace the harnes supposedly.

Anyone else having this type of failure?

STATUS UPDATE

Old 12-22-23, 03:28 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

I had this happen once. Will keep watching it.
Old 12-22-23, 06:57 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Flonie18
Well. today is day 5 of the dealership having my 2024 RX 500H F Sport and its a little concerning that yesterday no one even called me to update me and today i left a vm for the service Rep and no call back and now i just spoke to the original Sales person who sold me the car and he said he would go check on it and that was 3 hrs ago with no call back. I had a similar experience a few years back but that was GMC/Dodge....thats one of the reasons i chose to go with Lexus this time. How can a business sell you a $70K+ product and then not give you updates when you have problems within the first month?? Should i be going in there?
Should i speak to higher ups at the dealership or Lexus Corp?/....any advice folks?
I would suggest, document every communcation you have with dealership, meaning if you call also send an email documenting it in writing as well. This will help in case it escalates further, showing the attempts and loss of service.
I wouldn't be shy either going to dealership, but speak with service manager directly instead of sales or service advisor.
Old 12-23-23, 05:13 PM
Flonie18
7th Gear

Default got my car back today! Error code P279762

After i edited some reviews on Yelp and Google adding the problems i was having with communication with dealership I got a call bright and early this morning from the Service manager apologizing for whats been happening and telling me they kept the car a few extra days to try to recreate the issue but could not. They told em it was a "Transmission Pump stuck OFF" and after the Lexus Rep walked them thru re-starting it..... it has been fine after 30 miles of test driving. Its a wait and see now situation as to how this goes with either never happening again or turning into a crap show....just worrysome but im hoping for the best. I am atta

ching the work order they gave me.
Old 01-07-24, 12:16 AM
GlennAudio
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be watching this thread closely as my 500h has been at the dealership for a "system malfunction" since 11/25/23. =(
Julius071 (01-08-24)
Old 01-25-24, 06:15 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

I got this error earlier, not sure what's going on, only error when shifted to R, no error when D. Drove home and try to put it to R again and no more error.

Old 01-26-24, 04:52 AM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

That may be dirt/mud over the rear camera lens. We've had a lot of rain recently and that message happened a couple of times. A wipe of the camera lens (by the unlock button) has fixed it.
Longevite1 (01-26-24)
Old 01-26-24, 09:39 AM
Rokman68
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Malfunction

Had the same message (System malfunction. Visit your dealer) recently and the dealership indicated it could be as simple as a sensor is covered when I took the vehicle in for 5K service. They also advised that a car wash should remedy the problem. Happened again and washing my vehicle resolved the issue. We had a snow and there was a film on the vehicle from the magnesium chloride put on icy roads.

Originally Posted by MrTuckers
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could say exactly word for word what the message was but the main words were system malfunction. I was alarmed and thought the car was going to shut down.

The weather was clear day, about 72 deg. Road conditions normal. The car was on Eco mode with AC on I believe. Apple CarPlay running with Spotify playing music. Lights set to auto. I bought myself an OB2 Bluetooth sensor that I’ve used for my other cars in the past. I misplaced it so I ordered another one hoping to see if it can catch anything odd or unusual. Next thing to do is find out where the OB2 sensor interface port is located.
Old 01-26-24, 04:09 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Klamalama
That may be dirt/mud over the rear camera lens. We've had a lot of rain recently and that message happened a couple of times. A wipe of the camera lens (by the unlock button) has fixed it.
I hope so.
I cleaned the lens even though the warning gone.
Old 01-29-24, 02:23 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Was driving just now at 25mph approaching a school zone and this amber light flashed on for about 1 sec and disappeared. I caught a glimpse of the System malfunction error message and it quickly disappeared but for sure it was an amber icon in the lower left corner. 2900 miles and only 1 year old. I hope this car doesn’t crap out soon.

Originally Posted by bert213
Yes, experienced this myself yesterday on my FSport. Drove fine, but received the Check Engine; Drive-Start Control Malfunction; and System Malfunction messages on the dash.
Drove to dealership and received a base 2023 loaner.

Old 02-06-24, 11:43 AM
GSY
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another follow up to the sensors, road dirt and car washes. It is somewhat obvious that road dirt and grime can block the sensors and cause malfunctions however I also had the same warning issues on both my Gen. 4 and Gen 5 RX's. I belong to an automatic car wash club with unlimited washes. As such I tend to have the car washed multiple times per week with the highest level club plan - which includes coatings, waxes etc. It takes 10 - 15 min. I am still not entirely sure however it seems that frequent applications of spray wax from the car wash may eventually coat the sensors making the computer think that they are dirty and thus causing the malfunction lights to come on. I have now taken practice to wipe down all exterior sensors and cameras after the car has come out of the tunnel and it seems fine. Still not entirely sure if this was the root cause of the issue but has been working for me.

PS - I know hand car washing is better but my time is very limited and in the Northeast with bad weather this is not always practical.
Klamalama (02-07-24)

Quick Reply: System malfunction error on dashboard