Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

System malfunction error on dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-24, 07:32 AM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I too have a monthly simple car wash plan ($20) and use it a couple of times per week. I often spray wax the car myself, afterwards. I'll be extra careful to avoid the sensors. Thanks.
Old 02-07-24, 10:57 AM
GSY
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sensor cleaning

Good luck! I think you should be fine as long as you keep the sensors clean.
The following users liked this post:
Klamalama (02-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 08:16 PM
greatlake30
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Malfunction & Driver Monitor Malfunction Messages!

My 2023 Lexus RX 350 AWD has been getting System Malfunction & Driver Monitor Malfunction Messages. They have happened 3 times and for 2 of these times I've taken my vehicle to the Lexus dealer. The first time I was told there was a short in the electrical system that needed to be replaced.
Most recently when I brought it in this week for this same fault, I was told by the service rep, Lexus is aware of the problem and there is currently no fix for this system issue. He warned me it will continue to happen. I asked if the safety systems are deactivated when these failures occur. He said they are automatically shut off and do not work again until the system has been reset. What a nightmare!
My errors have been on the blind spot monitoring, the cross lane warnings, the driver monitor, etc.
It wasn't bad enough I didn't have a second key for my new car for 8 months, but after 8500 miles I have had these system failures 3 times.
Has anyone tried contacting Lexus to discuss the Lemon Law and try to get a replacement vehicle? I bought the car for its many safety features. If they are not functioning, the car is not operating in the manner in which it was sold to me.
I would appreciate anyone else's feedback regarding if they have contacted Lexus for a replacement of their vehicle or their money back.

Thank you.
Old 04-30-24, 02:04 AM
pakbet
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have RX350 and IS250 (both 2007) for ~17 years now and still going. Not once that I can recall that I took these cars to Lexus for repair, only maintenance and recalls!!

I decided to upgrade and went for the RX350h 2023 and loved it for the past 4 months or so ... well, until yesterday when battery's gone flat, road side assist jump started, then all sorts of malfunctions came up. Car is at Lexus service the whole day with no update. The app is still telling me the alarms are still active. Hope I don't have to wait for too long

Last edited by pakbet; 04-30-24 at 02:08 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-30-24, 03:26 AM
MrTuckers
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pakbet
I have RX350 and IS250 (both 2007) for ~17 years now and still going. Not once that I can recall that I took these cars to Lexus for repair, only maintenance and recalls!!

I decided to upgrade and went for the RX350h 2023 and loved it for the past 4 months or so ... well, until yesterday when battery's gone flat, road side assist jump started, then all sorts of malfunctions came up. Car is at Lexus service the whole day with no update. The app is still telling me the alarms are still active. Hope I don't have to wait for too long

Had no idea that the app actually alerts you if system malfunctions. I’m actually having an issue trying to get myself connected to app as a 2nd driver and after I scan the VIN info there is no code shown on dashboard that app asks me to enter. Although I have a localized account on car I can’t pretty much use any of the features on the app. My daughter has a Toyota RAV4 so not sure if both accounts got confused with each other.

Maybe I just need to pour some bagoong inside the gas tank j/k. When I saw your username I thought you might know what that cooking ingredient is. 🤣
Old 04-30-24, 04:01 AM
pakbet
Rookie

I am based in Australia. I believe Lexus apps are country specific. Pretty much the only feature that is useful in the app are the alerts!.... definitely know that ingredient that you mentioned and will not recommend it .. for this car
Old 05-01-24, 01:09 AM
pakbet
Rookie

Got the car back today, repair details below. No explanation on why the battery went flat.

Old 05-01-24, 02:29 AM
MrTuckers
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Got the car back today, repair details below. No explanation on why the battery went flat.

I was going to suggest if they did a parasitic current drain test on the vehicle and looks like they did and it came out as within-specs.

If something drained the battery then in wonder what.
Old 05-01-24, 04:01 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTuckers
I was going to suggest if they did a parasitic current drain test on the vehicle and looks like they did and it came out as within-specs.

I would have asked "What is the specification for parasitic drain? What is OUR vehicle's current drain?"

I hate these vague "It seems to be OK" statements. Especially with batteries. Did they do a LOAD TEST or just measure battery voltage immediately after charging it? The proper way to evaluate is to see what the voltage is after a night's rest.

Good luck, hopefully you won't have further issues that strands you, and require a battery replacement.

Old 05-01-24, 05:39 AM
pakbet
Rookie

When I picked up the car, Lexus asked me if I used the car in ACC mode (listening to radio). I said yes, I did that while setting up apple CarPlay and setting up settings. Having said, the car automatically turned off after a while (10 mins or something, screen showed - "Shutting down to conserve battery") and was still able to start the car again after. Lexus advised me not to use ACC mode, just start the car even when using the radio only. Coming from a 17 year old car, I did not believe what they have said. I just find it hard to believe that using radio in ACC mode will completely drain the battery (in less than 20 mins?).

After reading the below threads ... OMG I bought the wrong car for me. This is my first hybrid car. I did not realise at least couple of important features of a hybrid!!
A) there is no alternator therefore the car had to be used regularly to charge the hybrid battery, which then charges the 12v battery - I mostly only use the car every other weekend - about 185 miles drive),
B) don't use ACC mode - well this does not work for me when the wife decides to go shopping and have to wait in the car for extended period - oh I'll just keep driving around carpark to ensure the batteries are charged !!

12v Battery Incident - Do not use Accessory Mode - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Dead Battery - Page 10 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

So much for efficiency. To me these are all bad designs really. Can't use ACC mode? System Malfunctions when the battery is drained? Surely, it can't be that too difficult to implement measures to prevent these, especially for the price of the car!

Future plan, I will give this car to my wife and will buy myself a V8 Unfortunately, they don't sell the RC-F in Australia anymore so will have to look for other brands !! Or perhaps an older model without all the convoluted components.
Old 05-01-24, 05:51 AM
Lexus-SSA
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

This is not entirely true. I have the exact car with no battery drainage problem and use the radio all the time. What you need to do is turn the car off. Nothing to show in the dash screen. Then press the radio button and enjoy your music.
or use the setting to not turn off the radio till you open the door. Even if you open the doors and the radio was turned off just press the radio button again to turn it on. No need to turn the car on.
I also have noticed if I leave the doors open the ceiling lights turn off after 10 minutes to save battery.
Old 05-01-24, 08:29 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

When I picked up the car, Lexus asked me if I used the car in ACC mode (listening to radio). I said yes, I did that while setting up apple CarPlay and setting up settings. Having said, the car automatically turned off after a while (10 mins or something, screen showed - "Shutting down to conserve battery") and was still able to start the car again after. Lexus advised me not to use ACC mode, just start the car even when using the radio only. Coming from a 17 year old car, I did not believe what they have said. I just find it hard to believe that using radio in ACC mode will completely drain the battery (in less than 20 mins?).

After reading the below threads ... OMG I bought the wrong car for me. This is my first hybrid car. I did not realise at least couple of important features of a hybrid!!
A) there is no alternator therefore the car had to be used regularly to charge the hybrid battery, which then charges the 12v battery - I mostly only use the car every other weekend - about 185 miles drive),
B) don't use ACC mode - well this does not work for me when the wife decides to go shopping and have to wait in the car for extended period - oh I'll just keep driving around carpark to ensure the batteries are charged !!

12v Battery Incident - Do not use Accessory Mode - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Dead Battery - Page 10 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

So much for efficiency. To me these are all bad designs really. Can't use ACC mode? System Malfunctions when the battery is drained? Surely, it can't be that too difficult to implement measures to prevent these, especially for the price of the car!

Future plan, I will give this car to my wife and will buy myself a V8 Unfortunately, they don't sell the RC-F in Australia anymore so will have to look for other brands !! Or perhaps an older model without all the convoluted components.
I believe you can disable the ACC feature in the center screen. This might prevents this. Not to say that Lexus does not have a problem, but this is a band aid to reduce potential for battery dying. The car should be smart enough to disconnect any current draw when the battery starts to run low on reserve. At the moment it seems that Toyota has not figured out how to do that.

Also, if you leave the car ON while listening to radio and leave the HVAC off the engine will stay off for a good period of time until the battery gets low.

Old 05-01-24, 03:35 PM
pakbet
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexus-SSA
This is not entirely true. I have the exact car with no battery drainage problem and use the radio all the time. What you need to do is turn the car off. Nothing to show in the dash screen. Then press the radio button and enjoy your music.
or use the setting to not turn off the radio till you open the door. Even if you open the doors and the radio was turned off just press the radio button again to turn it on. No need to turn the car on.
I also have noticed if I leave the doors open the ceiling lights turn off after 10 minutes to save battery.
Just tried that, did not work for me. Also searched for the setting that you mentioned but can't find it. Perhaps depends on the version of the software?? Australia is always behind!