Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

System malfunction error on dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 09:54 AM
MrTuckers
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default System malfunction error on dashboard

This past weekend I was driving about 35-45 mph approaching a stop light when I experienced this error message. It showed about 5 sec and then disappeared. I’ve never seen the error ever since. Has anyone seen this error?

Car has about 900 miles on it. RX500h. Thanks!
Old 06-05-23, 10:00 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 661 Likes on 448 Posts

What was the weather like? It could have just been an obscured sensor. Did you catch what system the error was for?
Old 06-05-23, 10:08 AM
MrTuckers
Driver

Originally Posted by Urlik
What was the weather like? It could have just been an obscured sensor. Did you catch what system the error was for?
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could say exactly word for word what the message was but the main words were system malfunction. I was alarmed and thought the car was going to shut down.

The weather was clear day, about 72 deg. Road conditions normal. The car was on Eco mode with AC on I believe. Apple CarPlay running with Spotify playing music. Lights set to auto. I bought myself an OB2 Bluetooth sensor that I’ve used for my other cars in the past. I misplaced it so I ordered another one hoping to see if it can catch anything odd or unusual. Next thing to do is find out where the OB2 sensor interface port is located.
Old 06-05-23, 10:37 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Odds are one of the safety systems saw something in the sensors that temporarily turned that system off. It's probably not indicative of something failing on the car. People up north will have that issue sometimes driving in snow when the sensor gets obscured.
Old 06-05-23, 10:43 AM
MrTuckers
Driver

Odds are one of the safety systems saw something in the sensors that temporarily turned that system off. It's probably not indicative of something failing on the car. People up north will have that issue sometimes driving in snow when the sensor gets obscured.
That’s what I’m suspecting as well. When you say sensor, is it what’s mounted primarily behind the Lexus badge? I’ve already noticed some quirks that this car has such as not being able to properly identify and assign the proper driver profile for me whenever I enter the vehicle and also some freezing on the entertainment system. Other than that, it’s been a fantastic joy to drive. I do think I’m not getting the estimated MPGs as stated for this car and I think I get that impression that it’s a gas guzzler even though I don’t gun it that often.
Old 06-05-23, 11:01 AM
Urlik
Instructor

It could be the radar behind the badge, the front camera, or even the cross traffic sensors. I'm not even messing with doing a driver profile for myself until our second key comes in.
Old 06-05-23, 12:17 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

It could be the radar behind the badge, the front camera, or even the cross traffic sensors. I'm not even messing with doing a driver profile for myself until our second key comes in.
Have you considered the digital key as a 2nd key backup? I think I tried to set that up but the app had some bugs and I wasn’t able to process it through properly. Too many authentications and emails back and fourth. I too would like to have that 2nd key fob but just in case you somehow misplace the fob itself, having the digital key is the last resort until you can get to the dealership and somehow have them provide you a replacement or hopefully two.
Old 06-05-23, 12:17 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrTuckers
Have you considered the digital key as a 2nd key backup? I think I tried to set that up but the app had some bugs and I wasn’t able to process it through properly. Too many authentications and emails back and fourth. I too would like to have that 2nd key fob but just in case you somehow misplace the fob itself, having the digital key is the last resort until you can get to the dealership and somehow have them provide you a replacement or hopefully two.
It's not an option for me since I don't own a cell phone. I know it's crazy but I wear that as a badge of honor these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Urlik:
ggebhardt (06-23-23), MrTuckers (06-05-23)
Old 06-05-23, 12:22 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

It's not an option for me since I don't own a cell phone. I know it's crazy but I wear that as a badge of honor these days.
Yesterday at the dinner table, my bro in law and I were sharing with the kiddos those simplistic days when we didn’t have cell phones or other gadgets that “distract” us in so many ways and told them what we used to do when we were their age and was able to get by 80s-90s). I think they somehow appreciated what we had to share with them. We have so many conveniences these days that we forget how simplistic it used to be without being wired too much into the information highway.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (06-05-23)
Old 06-23-23, 06:05 AM
anna23
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System malfunction

Several warning lights and a warning message about system malfunction. Spent 3 hours at the dealership but problem wasn't resolved. Left with a loaner car while they try to fix the problem. Anyone experienced this? Model RX350 with 4400 miles on it.

Originally Posted by MrTuckers
This past weekend I was driving about 35-45 mph approaching a stop light when I experienced this error message. It showed about 5 sec and then disappeared. I’ve never seen the error ever since. Has anyone seen this error?

Car has about 900 miles on it. RX500h. Thanks!
Old 06-24-23, 07:20 PM
bert213
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, experienced this myself yesterday on my FSport. Drove fine, but received the Check Engine; Drive-Start Control Malfunction; and System Malfunction messages on the dash.
Drove to dealership and received a base 2023 loaner.

Old 06-25-23, 06:51 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Anecdotally it seems the 500h drive train is having more issues than the 350 or 350h.
Old 07-10-23, 12:33 PM
doraemon777
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just happened to me on saturday at 8:30pm local time at a parking lot. I turned on the ignition and I was not able to shift because the hybrid system malfunction. After waiting for two hours for a tow and leaving it at lexus...I get a call this morning telling me that my car is working just fine and that their logs show nothing. Good thing I have pictures and videos to prove that this did indeed happen. Suffice to say, I am not pleased. I have a 500h with 2900 miles.

Old 07-10-23, 12:55 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 168 Posts

Next time this happens and it will take pictures again and then try and disconnect the 12 volt battery for 5 minutes and plug back in to see if corrects problem. If it does that will save you having to wait for the tow and proof there is a problem.
Old 07-10-23, 01:55 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

Crazy stuff here, something is amiss with the 500h for sure. So many messages like that, on other cars it usually indicates a low voltage condition on the 12V battery. I even had that on an older (2009) Mercedes I had, the battery needed replacing but still started the car fine. But you would start up and every warning system in the car would bark a false alert - ABS, traction control, etc - and it was all because the battery was weak. New battery, all problems gone.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
Julius071 (07-10-23), Urlik (07-10-23)

Quick Reply: System malfunction error on dashboard