Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

When did y'all change Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 07:22 PM
ph19
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When did y'all change Coolant?

Hello, just wanted to see what mileage did you all changed your coolant? My 2013 GS 450 is over 85k mile but never had front brakes changed. Is that normal
Old 06-13-23, 10:29 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

My Engine coolant was changed at 50k and 100k

My Hybrid Battery Coolant was changed at least around 100k. That's also when Lexus changed the Trans Fluid too.

Brakes are really dependent on use... there is no "set life" for them.
Old 07-01-23, 10:04 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just had my 13's with 60K on it changed as well as the inverter coolant based on the recommended 10 year interval. Seems like the hybrid battery charge levels stays higher since.
Also got a brake fluid flush that improved braking.
Old 07-02-23, 06:14 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by lockedlex
My Engine coolant was changed at 50k and 100k

My Hybrid Battery Coolant was changed at least around 100k. That's also when Lexus changed the Trans Fluid too.

Brakes are really dependent on use... there is no "set life" for them.
@lockedlex - Wow! Are you sure about that? Lexus actually changed the transmission fluid in your 4GS eCVT transmission? Why?

I didn't realize there was a recommended service schedule to replace the transmission fluid in the 4GSh, or even a Lexus published service procedure for a Lexus technician to follow since replacing the transmission fluid is not required.

I am really surprised a Lexus dealership's service department would even allow it to be done.

"Transmission Fluid - The transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission. Inspect the transmission for signs of leakage. (The electric motor/generators do not require periodic maintenance.) Any service that requires inspecting or replacing transmission fluid should be performed by a qualified technician following procedures in Lexus service and repair publications. Please refer to the important safety precautions found on the inside front cover of this booklet."

Last edited by bclexus; 07-02-23 at 09:51 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-02-23, 05:56 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
@lockedlex - Wow! Are you sure about that? Lexus actually changed the transmission fluid in your 4GS eCVT transmission? Why?

I didn't realize there was a recommended service schedule to replace the transmission fluid in the 4GSh, or even a Lexus published service procedure for a Lexus technician to follow since replacing the transmission fluid is not required.

I am really surprised a Lexus dealership's service department would even allow it to be done.

Yep, they were happy to replace it while doing other services at 125k. It wasn't a flush, just a drain/fill. Car "shifts" soooo much better afterwards in that its engagement of different modes are imperceptible.

Fluid was disgusting... He stated that "lifetime" is only considered to be 10 years internally. Same trans as used in 3GS, tech at the time said it was a mistake on Lexus to try to make it a lifetime. Then said others sometimes will do it but mess it up, which gives flushes a bad reputation, apparently it's a process, but not complicated, just a few additional steps. His wife drives one as well.
​​​​

Old 07-02-23, 06:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Umm, Interesting!

Did they do just one drain and fill? Do you know how much was drained out and put back in? Do you know what percentage of the transmission's full capacity was replaced?

You don't think the placebo effect played a part in you thinking the transmission "shifts" soooo much better afterwards in that its engagement of different modes are imperceptible ?
Old 07-02-23, 07:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, they were happy to replace it while doing other services at 125k. It wasn't a flush, just a drain/fill. Car "shifts" soooo much better afterwards in that its engagement of different modes are imperceptible.

Fluid was disgusting...
It's my understanding that Lexus service centers collectively are to refuse to replace the transmission fluid or do a D&F on the eCVT. But, of course there's always a dissident among any large group. Maybe Crown Lexus saw your car's high mileage as fair reason to do it. Did Crown Lexus recommend doing a D&F or did you request it? Regardless, them just doing it really surprises me...

Typically transmission fluid will turn blackish rather quickly but its color really means very little in terms of its quality to perform its intended purpose. Oftentimes gear clutch facing material in older automatic transmissions will wear-off into the transmission fluid and that helps turn the fluid blackish. However, that's not the case with the 4GSh eCVT because it is my understanding that the GS 450h eCVT only has one clutch in it, and it is operated by an electrically driven oil pump at about 60 mph for the purpose of reducing the rpm of the electric motor generator MG2.
Old 07-02-23, 09:10 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

What's funny is it was changed at 60k... had no pushback or issues at all getting it done then. Just was added to the work order. That was at another dealer too. Same process at Crown.

Didn't ask about how much, but it wouldn't have been 100%, a DF I'd be surprised if it did more than 60%. I was very sure to ask it was NOT a flush at the time however.

Definitely engages between EV and regular modes at fwy speeds w/o any noticeable difference now and the "gear change" that occurs around 60ish is no longer felt. There was a slight pause as it did that before, now the transition is seamless. Also it's super quiet driving in EV mode, before you could hear the trans humming (very little) and now it just feels like the EV motor is connected directly to the wheels, if that makes sense.

Ironically, I didn't plan to keep the car this long, but I haven't come across another one I'd like, so I'll probably keep it a bit longer.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (07-03-23)
Old 07-06-23, 12:18 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

bc, you finally ready to do a fluid swap? and stop the lifetime fluid fake news, that has been proven to be wrong by quite a few lexus techs over the years?

If you still paranoid, i'll put a deposit on a replacement trans for you, used ones on ebay are 1k or less.
I'll even send you a few quarts of amsoil.

You really asked him was it a plecebo effect, and everyone who's ever done a fluid swap on this forum came back with "yea its definitely smoother" lol.
You would never notice the performance degradation of the fluid because it happens too slow to notice. All of us notice it after the fluid swap however.

its not 1 or 0 ie:is the transmission working or not, its about how well it's really working.
Old 07-06-23, 01:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gravesg
bc, you finally ready to do a fluid swap? and stop the lifetime fluid fake news, that has been proven to be wrong by quite a few lexus techs over the years?

If you still paranoid, i'll put a deposit on a replacement trans for you, used ones on ebay are 1k or less.
I'll even send you a few quarts of amsoil.

You really asked him was it a plecebo effect, and everyone who's ever done a fluid swap on this forum came back with "yea its definitely smoother" lol.
You would never notice the performance degradation of the fluid because it happens too slow to notice. All of us notice it after the fluid swap however.

its not 1 or 0 ie:is the transmission working or not, its about how well it's really working.
Remember, one half of people posting are statistically below the median in IQ. You can figure out which half that is to suit your agenda. I'll go with the half that includes the Lexus/Toyota engineers that actually designed, built and tested the transmission and what they recommend.

You are most welcome to go with that other half.
Old 07-06-23, 03:01 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Remember, one half of people posting are statistically below the median in IQ. You can figure out which half that is to suit your agenda. I'll go with the half that includes the Lexus/Toyota engineers that actually designed, built and tested the transmission and what they recommend.

You are most welcome to go with that other half.

lol bc, you know whats strange I actually look forward to your responses lol... funny enough this fluid thing is the only thing I dont see your way...
just about every other thread you pretty top shelf.

P.s. I am serious on the oil thing .. I got a few quarts leftover from the case if you want em i'll pack em.
bclexus (07-07-23)
Old 07-06-23, 03:09 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Whoa, this got personal quick. Not sure what the history is between BC and Grave, but to each their own. It's your car, do as you want.

Personally, I was just adding a data point, nothing more. I will say though, FWIW, Toy/Lex has had many missteps along the way and while they lead the industry in reliablity, they aren't infallible:
  1. 3.0 Engine Sludge
  2. 4.6 Valley Plate Leak
  3. 2.5 Carbon Build up
  4. Melting dashboards
  5. ABS Actuators
And that's just a short list, I could come up with 10 more common issues across all the Toy/Lex lines which are inherent engineering issues.

And that's just design defects, not even considering manufacturing defects that have resulted in entire vehicle recalls (however, still statistically a great and reliable company. Try driving a german one where everything fails and everyone considers it normal wear/tear, haha!).

Speaking of, here's an example. ZF is known as probably one of the best transmission firms on the planet (and their 8speed is considered probably the best transmission). Their trans are used by many companies, including BMW. ZF has a published interval which contradicts BMW's, even to this day. One reason is that ZF recognizes (and keep in mind, they are probably the BEST in the business) there is no such thing as "lifetime fluid," so unless Lexus managed to create an unobtanium based World Standard Transmission Fluid, I'm changing it. It doesn't hurt the transmission at all and doesn't cost that much, just as long as it's done right.

Last edited by lockedlex; 07-06-23 at 09:03 PM.
fourgs (08-15-23)
Old 07-06-23, 06:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Whoa, this got personal quick. Not sure what the history is between BC and Grave, but to each their own.
Whoa now, don't be making something out to be more than it is. gravesg is a member friend. He realizes when someone is just taking a stand and poking the other.
gravesg (07-06-23)
Old 07-06-23, 09:02 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Figured (hence the smiley face)
bclexus (07-07-23)
Old 08-23-23, 11:04 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

In the service manual coolant change is at 150k miles. I'm at 132k miles on original coolant and zero issues.
bclexus (08-24-23)