Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

Rx500h owners - how many miles and any issues? Seeing a few recent posts with issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-23 | 02:51 PM
Qeven
1st Gear

I purchased my RX500h a few months ago. I noticed right away that the transmission seemed off. I've driven almost every car from a tesla model s to a Kia Forte, and I could just feel that something about the Lexus wasn't right. I also noticed that the mpg was terrible, I was even driving in eco mode and avoiding any aggressive speedup. 1st time I took it in they said I had a bad batch of gas. 2nd time I pushed a little more and now 2 weeks later I'm hearing that a new transmission is what is recommended per Lexus so waiting on that now. But my issue is, if they are just replacing the transmission with the same one, who is to say it won't have issues again. The dealership told me they are not allowed to disassemble the transmission to dig into what could be wrong with it. Very frustrating. Dealership has been awesome at proving me info and a loaner. Still in communication with corporate Lexus as of now.
Old 11-18-23 | 06:28 PM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Just broke 18000 miles and my 500H has been a rock solid workhorse.

No engine issues, no tranny issues, no leaks, no oil burning, no rattles and fantastic MPG- averaging around 29-30 after 18K miles.

The car has had 1 issue and it has nothing to do with it being a 500H. The panoramic sunroof was faulty and had to be completely replaced. This issue occurred during my first month of ownership. Its been 7+ months now with no problems.

Did 3 oil changes and 1 cabin filter change so far.

This thing just goes and does whatever you ask of it with no fuss. 18000 miles in 8 months is not an easy life on any car and this 500H is taking it like a champ. Ill probably drive this until it loses its 70K powertrain warranty. I would not hold a new powertrain out of warranty, even if its from lexus and even if its been reliable so far.

My only complaint about the car is that its value TANKED. The MSRP on this thing was 72K and 8 months later it is only worth 53K trade in. I discovered this while just window shopping some other cars out of boredom. That's a bit concerning to lose 20K value in less than 8 months. In comparison, a brand new BMW X6 was worth just 7K less after I traded it in 1 year later- I paid 72K for that X6 as well and got 65K for it on trade in. I always thought Lexus RX's held value better than BMW suvs. This is a big disappointment to be honest.

Honestly, if you are looking for a sporty drive, just get a BMW X5/X6 in the same mid 70K price range. They will be way more fun to drive and BMW B58 I6 + 8 speed has been damn bulletproof and the car is way more responsive and faster than the 500H while still getting 28 MPG highway. Thats probably why the 500H value tanked so fast. You can buy a much better performance from BMW for the same price and they give around 8% off MSRP and free service for 3 years.

Last edited by Vanguard; 11-18-23 at 06:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Vanguard:
jinnjia (12-06-23), Julius071 (11-19-23), SEFL (12-11-23)
Old 11-24-23 | 12:08 AM
GlennAudio
10th Gear

I guess i'm one of the unlucky ones. I was washing my 500h on Thanksgiving morning to get ready to take my in laws out for dinner. I finish washing the car and suddenly I can't open any of the doors. (And no, I did not pressure wash the engine.) It looks like a total electrical system failure. I won't know any details until the dealership takes a look at it. I had AAA tow it to the nearest dealership but obviously they were closed on Thanksgiving. I just did a late night drop off and dropped the keys in a night drop box.

When trying to jumpstart it, I got a handful of messages on the screen:

"System Malfunction, Visit Your Dealer"
"Shift System Malfunction, See Owner's Manual"
"12-Volt Battery Charging System Malfunction, Stop in a safe place, see owner's manual"
"Hybrid System Stopped, Steering Power Low"
"Drive-Start Control Malfunction, Visit You Dealer"

Jumpstarting didn't help. As soon as the cables were pulled, all the electrical systems would shut off, including the ability to open any doors. I'm just considering myself lucky all of this happened while I was at home and not out in the middle of nowhere. Current mileage is 2,155. I'll keep my progress with this debacle detailed here.

On a side note, even before purchasing the car, I was told they needed to replace a fuse before I could take the car. Not sure if this is related but at least worth noting.

Old 11-25-23 | 06:00 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GlennAudio
I guess i'm one of the unlucky ones. I was washing my 500h on Thanksgiving morning to get ready to take my in laws out for dinner. I finish washing the car and suddenly I can't open any of the doors. (And no, I did not pressure wash the engine.) It looks like a total electrical system failure. I won't know any details until the dealership takes a look at it. I had AAA tow it to the nearest dealership but obviously they were closed on Thanksgiving. I just did a late night drop off and dropped the keys in a night drop box.

When trying to jumpstart it, I got a handful of messages on the screen:

"System Malfunction, Visit Your Dealer"
"Shift System Malfunction, See Owner's Manual"
"12-Volt Battery Charging System Malfunction, Stop in a safe place, see owner's manual"
"Hybrid System Stopped, Steering Power Low"
"Drive-Start Control Malfunction, Visit You Dealer"

Jumpstarting didn't help. As soon as the cables were pulled, all the electrical systems would shut off, including the ability to open any doors. I'm just considering myself lucky all of this happened while I was at home and not out in the middle of nowhere. Current mileage is 2,155. I'll keep my progress with this debacle detailed here.

On a side note, even before purchasing the car, I was told they needed to replace a fuse before I could take the car. Not sure if this is related but at least worth noting.
There is a TSB for short pin failure after it is installed during the PDI. When they ship it to save the battery the short pin (fuse) is removed and when they install it during the PDI it sometimes blows causes errors. Maybe when they replaced it at delivery it as has failed again, and then all they would do is hopefully replace it.

Below is the official TSB:Bulletin Number: LTT-0322-23

Replacement Service Bulletin Number: N/A

NHTSA Item Number: 10240046

Date Posted: 06-01-2023

Component Name: 110000 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Make: LEXUS

Model: RX

Year: 2023

Date Added: 07-31-2023

Summary: TT: Vehicle may exhibit one or all in combination of the following DTC U115687 or U11B900 or U11B987 or U11BF87 shortly after short pin installed during PDS/PDI.

The following 3 users liked this post by John89:
Carbuff2 (11-26-23), GlennAudio (11-30-23), Julius071 (11-26-23)
Old 11-30-23 | 10:59 PM
GlennAudio
10th Gear

Originally Posted by John89
There is a TSB for short pin failure after it is installed during the PDI. When they ship it to save the battery the short pin (fuse) is removed and when they install it during the PDI it sometimes blows causes errors. Maybe when they replaced it at delivery it as has failed again, and then all they would do is hopefully replace it.

Below is the official TSB:Bulletin Number: LTT-0322-23

Replacement Service Bulletin Number: N/A

NHTSA Item Number: 10240046

Date Posted: 06-01-2023

Component Name: 110000 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Make: LEXUS

Model: RX

Year: 2023

Date Added: 07-31-2023

Summary: TT: Vehicle may exhibit one or all in combination of the following DTC U115687 or U11B900 or U11B987 or U11BF87 shortly after short pin installed during PDS/PDI.
That's reassuring. Thank you. Only problem is they can't get the fuse in until the end of the year. I guess I'll enjoy the better mileage on the 350h they gave me as a loaner for a month. i already miss the 500h performance but i'll live. (haha, first world problems, right?)
Old 12-01-23 | 07:52 AM
John89
Pit Crew

You should tell them pull out another new car...
Old 12-01-23 | 05:01 PM
GlennAudio
10th Gear

Believe me, I considered it. If this happens again, I'm gonna have to seriously re-visit that idea.

Last edited by kitlz; 12-01-23 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-02-23 | 02:18 AM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

took the rx500h in yesterday for the second key , 3500 miles and actually had nothing else needing fixin
Old 12-09-23 | 03:42 AM
tkb13
Driver School Candidate

12300 miles, RX500h

- A few days ago, car was not responsive for a split second when accelerating from a stop
- Today, it jolted hard during an acceleration from stop (I didn’t even push hard on the pedal)
Old 12-09-23 | 06:02 PM
Ryebrid
Driver

Originally Posted by tkb13
12300 miles, RX500h

- A few days ago, car was not responsive for a split second when accelerating from a stop
- Today, it jolted hard during an acceleration from stop (I didn’t even push hard on the pedal)
Take it to the dealer to see if it threw a code. I had similar issues with momentary no power from a stop. My issue was the turbo wastegate valve acting up. In any event, the dealer diagnosed it and fixed it successfully.
Old 01-03-24 | 02:59 AM
GlennAudio
10th Gear

quick update, still waiting on the fuse...apparently the part is back ordered. Now they're telling me it'll be another month before the part arrives (est. end of January, originally quoted end of Dec 2023). At that point the dealer will have had the car more than half the time I've owned it.

side note: they did say they would also put a new battery in. (I'm just noting this here as a log of my conversations with them.)

really starting to miss my car. I'm paying the car payment and the insurance for the 500h. The mpg on the 350h (loaner) is nice but the car is nowhere near as fun to drive as the 500h.
Old 01-03-24 | 03:37 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Originally Posted by GlennAudio
quick update, still waiting on the fuse...apparently the part is back ordered. Now they're telling me it'll be another month before the part arrives (est. end of January, originally quoted end of Dec 2023). At that point the dealer will have had the car more than half the time I've owned it.

side note: they did say they would also put a new battery in. (I'm just noting this here as a log of my conversations with them.)

really starting to miss my car. I'm paying the car payment and the insurance for the 500h. The mpg on the 350h (loaner) is nice but the car is nowhere near as fun to drive as the 500h.
if wou have not filed a case with Lexus customer relations I would. We had a similar issue where they had our Lx for 2 months. I literally called the relations group daily. In the end they wrote me a check for all the monthly payments I made without the car. It was nearly 2k.

Last edited by kitlz; 01-03-24 at 03:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (01-03-24)
Old 01-04-24 | 09:54 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by jsch222
if wou have not filed a case with Lexus customer relations I would. We had a similar issue where they had our Lx for 2 months. I literally called the relations group daily. In the end they wrote me a check for all the monthly payments I made without the car. It was nearly 2k.
I wish Lexus Canada had a useful customer service.
Old 01-26-24 | 02:37 AM
GlennAudio
10th Gear

I finally got my car back yesterday (1/25/24). New fuse installed, new battery installed, new key fob. I also asked them to change the oil which took a little more persuasion but they ended up doing that as well. I asked that they do it to help avoid any potential major engine issues like some of the cases I'm reading about on these forums. It took a total of 9 full weeks (of the 19 weeks since purchasing the car) for them to get this done. I'm already in contact with customer relations and will be hearing back from them on Tuesday. I'll keep you all posted.

Also, I asked if I could order another one of these fuses to keep on hand in case something like this happens again but said they couldn't due to "supply shortage"...ugh. let's hope this doesn't happen again.
Old 04-09-24 | 01:24 PM
grenouille
1st Gear

Default 10,000 km and needs a new transmission

Originally Posted by John89
As you can see in past threads in February I had reserved an RX500H, it was built early March and exactly at that point came stop sell for anything not at dealers lot. I was told it was normal QC hold, which didn’t make sense as every 500H if searched on auto trader was not in transit even though had real vin#. I gave it week did some digging heard there was two main issues sensors and transmission failures. My dealership due to what they were seeing confirmed it but their was no fix other to reset the sensor and they though transmission ones were one offs. They would issue buy back for transmission and reset sensor if you CEL if that was your issue.

Spending that amount money I couldn’t risk it saw a nice 350f sport basically same options and honestly felt more confident as it was proven drive train so much it still has drive shaft to rear wheels. Still got all Fsport items minus extra power and rear steer which I am fine with it. Maybe when my lease it up it be different story. My dealer also told me if I wanted hybrid stick with 350. That’s when you know it’s bad when their pushing you off Model. Their exact words it’s not looking good for 500h and referred this to 2006 gs300 release.

If I were you and really want sport version go with gas ur save 8k for same options or about 225 off lease a month and ur know for sure you won’t have these gremlins. Which are major issues a falling dash piece or rattle one thing but these two issues are major.

Further to this which is why I wanted to share this, is at dealership now when I went for reprogram of settings were 3 500hs all set for buy back I would assume transmission as sensor I think they just reset. I asked but they didn’t know just that they were going back to LFS.
same experience here, started shifting strangely at low speed last week, and advised today that it needs a new transmission. No eta yet.

Quick Reply: Rx500h owners - how many miles and any issues? Seeing a few recent posts with issues