Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

Rx500h owners - how many miles and any issues? Seeing a few recent posts with issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 11:05 AM
snclublexus
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rx500h owners - how many miles and any issues? Seeing a few recent posts with issues

Wife and I are looking in to the RX500h and have come across a few very recent threads with owners posting about issues, all within the last three months. There was the production hold from a few months ago for undisclosed reasons, a redditor just had one get lemon'd, and a user on here had bad to back CEL's that still hadn't been diagnosed at time of last update. I was under the impression that the motor and transmission were previously used in other models/lines, but some folks are saying it's completely new for the RX500h. Can anyone confirm this? Also curious to hear from existing rx500h owners on how many miles you've logged thus far and any issues?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lexus/comme...500_h_f_sport/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...tion-hold.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-the-shop.html
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (06-23-23)
Old 06-20-23, 01:15 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

As you can see in past threads in February I had reserved an RX500H, it was built early March and exactly at that point came stop sell for anything not at dealers lot. I was told it was normal QC hold, which didn’t make sense as every 500H if searched on auto trader was not in transit even though had real vin#. I gave it week did some digging heard there was two main issues sensors and transmission failures. My dealership due to what they were seeing confirmed it but their was no fix other to reset the sensor and they though transmission ones were one offs. They would issue buy back for transmission and reset sensor if you CEL if that was your issue.

Spending that amount money I couldn’t risk it saw a nice 350f sport basically same options and honestly felt more confident as it was proven drive train so much it still has drive shaft to rear wheels. Still got all Fsport items minus extra power and rear steer which I am fine with it. Maybe when my lease it up it be different story. My dealer also told me if I wanted hybrid stick with 350. That’s when you know it’s bad when their pushing you off Model. Their exact words it’s not looking good for 500h and referred this to 2006 gs300 release.

If I were you and really want sport version go with gas ur save 8k for same options or about 225 off lease a month and ur know for sure you won’t have these gremlins. Which are major issues a falling dash piece or rattle one thing but these two issues are major.

Further to this which is why I wanted to share this, is at dealership now when I went for reprogram of settings were 3 500hs all set for buy back I would assume transmission as sensor I think they just reset. I asked but they didn’t know just that they were going back to LFS.

Last edited by John89; 06-20-23 at 02:09 PM.
Qeven (11-18-23)
Old 08-13-23, 01:36 PM
enmotors
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So we have 4000 miles on or 500H. Had it two months and went on two long road trips. It is going back to the dealership for multiple issues this week. The transmission has had upshift issues since purchasing. There is also an rough idle issue when in park and at idle. Lastly the A/C has not been kicking on.

We traded in a GX460 for this and still own an FJ100. Long time Toyota Landcruiser Assc member. I can not express how much we hate this car. Fortunately we leased it. Payment three is coming up and counting down until we can turn it in after three years. The truck looks great, driver well at high speeds and the interior is comfortable.

Ergonomically Toyota really messed up this design. The center vents are low and can not cool down the cabin. The notification system is very complex and used for every function. Just resetting the trip odometer takes going into a few screens. It is cumbersome going through each and every screen for even something small. The safety system is ridiculous. At any given time there is something flashing or beeping. We just go in and turn everything off, before driving it.

With the ongoing quality issues and the poor design I would not buy one. It is the first car I have ever purchased that I regret buying. We park it and take one of our other cars when we can.
Qeven (11-18-23)
Old 08-13-23, 04:55 PM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

500 miles no issues and ac cools just fine
WellsB (11-18-23)
Old 08-14-23, 06:03 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

5100 miles, no issues.

How many 2023 RX500s are on the road as I type this? You need to look at the % of cars with issues....most folks that are happy/problem-free are not going to post.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carbuff2:
asj2024 (04-10-24), Measured (12-04-23), WellsB (11-18-23)
Old 08-14-23, 02:25 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Based on the feedback from my dealer master tech from whom I have spoken to for many years, the 500H is true transmission issue in which the conversion of that high level of power the transmission can't handle and is failing. Their is no design flaw in transmission it simply just can't handle the conversion of torque being placed on it especially in reverse gear which I find extremely odd. Something about it spinning one way and then when it goes into reverse it snaps back stripping the gears and then you have full failure. The replacement going back in them is the same transmission, so not sure how this will result in fixing anything. The long term fix will be software update to lower limits torque to shifts to help prevent this stress, it supposedly the same programing already on the Grand Highlander which may be the reason we don't see it occurring on them as they have same transmission / set up.

To make things more confusing, there is also an issue with regular 350 and 350H in which they are running extremely rich, this is causing CEL notices as well on dash. The fix is to drain the oil to remove the richness from the oil that is triggering the sensors and reset everything. All this is doing is buying time until their software update as well. This isn't regular occurrence but is mainly based on your driving patterns, as if you drive long distances and at temp a lot richness really burns off and you don't have issue. Short trip users and in frequent drivers are the ones this issues occurs and can occur multiple of times as the oil doesn't burn off excessive fuel in the oil.

Julius071 (08-14-23)
Old 08-15-23, 03:04 AM
BCBrent
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by John89
Based on the feedback from my dealer master tech from whom I have spoken to for many years, the 500H is true transmission issue in which the conversion of that high level of power the transmission can't handle and is failing. Their is no design flaw in transmission it simply just can't handle the conversion of torque being placed on it especially in reverse gear which I find extremely odd. Something about it spinning one way and then when it goes into reverse it snaps back stripping the gears and then you have full failure. The replacement going back in them is the same transmission, so not sure how this will result in fixing anything. The long term fix will be software update to lower limits torque to shifts to help prevent this stress, it supposedly the same programing already on the Grand Highlander which may be the reason we don't see it occurring on them as they have same transmission / set up.

To make things more confusing, there is also an issue with regular 350 and 350H in which they are running extremely rich, this is causing CEL notices as well on dash. The fix is to drain the oil to remove the richness from the oil that is triggering the sensors and reset everything. All this is doing is buying time until their software update as well. This isn't regular occurrence but is mainly based on your driving patterns, as if you drive long distances and at temp a lot richness really burns off and you don't have issue. Short trip users and in frequent drivers are the ones this issues occurs and can occur multiple of times as the oil doesn't burn off excessive fuel in the oil.
Chase down "FORM". This term I have read applied to PHEVs, where the engine doesn't reach proper engine temp to burn off any fuelin the engine oil.\

I don't know why this is now an issue for ICEs and hybrids that are not plug-in.

until now has
Old 08-15-23, 03:30 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by enmotors
So we have 4000 miles on or 500H. Had it two months and went on two long road trips. It is going back to the dealership for multiple issues this week. The transmission has had upshift issues since purchasing. There is also an rough idle issue when in park and at idle. Lastly the A/C has not been kicking on.

We traded in a GX460 for this and still own an FJ100. Long time Toyota Landcruiser Assc member. I can not express how much we hate this car. Fortunately we leased it. Payment three is coming up and counting down until we can turn it in after three years. The truck looks great, driver well at high speeds and the interior is comfortable.

Ergonomically Toyota really messed up this design. The center vents are low and can not cool down the cabin. The notification system is very complex and used for every function. Just resetting the trip odometer takes going into a few screens. It is cumbersome going through each and every screen for even something small. The safety system is ridiculous. At any given time there is something flashing or beeping. We just go in and turn everything off, before driving it.

With the ongoing quality issues and the poor design I would not buy one. It is the first car I have ever purchased that I regret buying. We park it and take one of our other cars when we can.
With the vents low are you able to direct air to the upper parts of the cabin? I noticed when I tested a Lyriq the vents were also low and could not adjust upward, which made the cabin feeling hot as you would have the sun beating down on you and not be able to adjust the air upwards. For a hot climate this was not a good design. I haven't been able to test an RX as I am waiting to check out a hybrid but all are spoken for here at this time.
Old 08-15-23, 03:02 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jer
With the vents low are you able to direct air to the upper parts of the cabin? I noticed when I tested a Lyriq the vents were also low and could not adjust upward, which made the cabin feeling hot as you would have the sun beating down on you and not be able to adjust the air upwards. For a hot climate this was not a good design. I haven't been able to test an RX as I am waiting to check out a hybrid but all are spoken for here at this time.
Issue here may be new freon the government is pushing manufactures to use in AC units. As I believe it is R-454b so may be reason behind why it doesn't seem strong as well.
Notice how that AC light always shuts down after restart, in prior models you could leave it on and recall setting when you started it again.
Old 08-15-23, 03:35 PM
Lectrified
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have 1500+ miles on our RX500H and have not noticed any issues so far. I live in Florida and have no problem cooling the cabin, although I do have the windows and the moonroof tinted. I like the Lexus way more than the Audi I had previously. Now if I could just get my second key fob, I would be extremely happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lectrified:
Qeven (11-18-23), WellsB (11-18-23)
Old 08-16-23, 06:03 AM
Ryebrid
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

9000 miles. Initial turbo issue, but that was diagnosed and repaired quickly. No problems since.
Old 08-16-23, 07:21 AM
aeubank
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
The vents even though they are low can angle upward to reach my face nicely. I guess there was a design that had to be overcome with the navi screen so big and tall in the cabin that left a limited amount of room for the vents, but they work nice and have a good angle.
My RX-500 has been flawless from day 1 with no issues from the transmission, and this sucker scoots!!
The following 2 users liked this post by aeubank:
Carbuff2 (08-17-23), WellsB (11-18-23)
Old 09-05-23, 02:20 PM
Benton2016
10th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased my RX500h July 22, 2023 from a dealership in San Antonio. I believe I have 1,068 miles on it. I just recently had a couple incidents with it not recognizing the key fob in the vehicle. I changed the oil at 1,000 miles. I have really pampered this vehicle. I've never floored or punched it, whatever term people use today, to pass someone or enter the freeway. The vehicle has enough power where just a 1/4 push on the accelerator will get you to cruising speed or better. The transmission has seemed to shift smoothly with no issues. After reading some of the threads on this website, I am hoping my $72K investment will last me a while without any mechanical or electrical issues. I purchased an 8-year warranty. Honestly, I think if you take it easy the first month of ownership, you many not experience any of these issues. I wish you the best of luck!!

Last edited by Benton2016; 09-07-23 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Rephrase a sentence
SEFL (12-11-23)
Old 09-24-23, 08:40 PM
GlennAudio
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Purchased my first lexus on 9/12/23... RX500h in Copper Crest. I've been going easy on the car since I got it. For reference, I've been averaging 30+ mpg. It had 60 miles on the odometer when i drove it off the lot and I currently have 458. I'll continue to baby it for the first 1k miles and first mo. Keeping my fingers crossed that we don't encounter any of the issues people have reported with the transmission. I've been driving exclusively Toyotas since 2005.

Edit: I should also note that the Factory Window Sticker has 6/13/23 stamped on it. Hopefully that's an indication that the car was checked for potential issues after the earlier transmissions were found to have issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by GlennAudio:
Qeven (11-18-23), SEFL (12-11-23)
Old 10-01-23, 04:02 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

1500 miles and no issues. We are really enjoying the car.
WellsB (11-18-23)

Quick Reply: Rx500h owners - how many miles and any issues? Seeing a few recent posts with issues