Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.
View Poll Results: Sell to Junk Yard?
How to determine price
0%
Recommendation of another party to sell as is
100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

** Junk Yard or Part Out? That is the Question **

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 04:13 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question ** Junk Yard or Part Out? That is the Question **

My car {(139k Miles) Car in decent shape} has been off the road due to bad Inverter and now the Mechanic damaged the Engine Wiring Harness.
I had the mechanic tow it back to my home after 4 months of him trying to find the right Engine Wiring harness at a decent price.
DECISION POINT:
1. Sell to a Junk Yard (not sure if they buy like this and at what price)?
2. Part it out myself and deal with multiple people and packaging/shipping items?

What say you?
Old 06-19-23, 05:17 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,209 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Call a few local junk yards and you will quickly learn the local price to buy your non driveable - must be towed vehicle. Typically it is a couple hundred dollars to a few hundred dollars.

If you have the time, space and tools and the skills to take it apart yourself. Plus a high tolerance for aggravation and dealing with potential crooks, then try to part it out yourself. I would not do it.
The following users liked this post:
yeehawbob (06-20-23)
Old 06-19-23, 09:15 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Parting out will fetch you lot more money, with issues mentioned by Cluthcless.

One thing not mentioned is the carcass ... which you eventually have to dispose along with HOA and neighbors, if you have them.

Have you thought about splicing the harness? Harness can be purchased through Lexus with the vin-number ... will be expensive 2K or more, but your mechanic should be buying it for you.

Salim
Old 06-20-23, 07:48 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I did a part out weekend years ago with my Previa 4wd that bit the dust, engine wise.

No one wanted to buy it whole as a parts car, so I advertised to all my fellow Previa lovers on the online forum, and within 1 weekend,
I had that van stripped right down to a rolling chassis, which the local scrap yard was happy to pick up for free right from my driveway.

Mind you, due to my location in a large Metro area (GTA) , my access to a good number of guys, always looking for parts to this specific van was in my favour.
Had about 20 guys visit me that weekend, and my only rule was they had to leave the tires on, so that it could be easily towed away afterwards.

Since it was only 2 days, my neighbours didn’t complain with me turning my driveway into a u-pick yard for a while.

My suggestion for your dilemma is to try to sell as a whole parts car, someone out there would want to tackle that repair and bring it back to life.

Old 06-21-23, 09:21 AM
yeehawbob
Driver

Thanks for the suggestions:

UPDATE:
Online Junk Yard companies are quoting $3800 +- 500.
Local companies have still to get back to me as Decision makers not available.
I have the tools and know how to Part Out but it will be a major hassle to deal with multiple people coming and/or shipping big items. I live in a HOA and neighbors will not like it.
I can try to fix it myself but I don't trust what the mechanic has already destroyed.
Old 06-22-23, 07:28 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Before making the final decision, also get a ballpark number for working RX (in case you manage to get it fixed and want to sell it).

One thing that I find odd is, why is the mechanic who messed it up not part of the solution? If you do it yourself, you will need to know exactly what was done by the mechanic to possible undo what he did or at lease verify each step/item. Not knowing this, you can 3x the effort. Many shops will refuse to work on your vehicle knowing some one has messed with it before. Some savvy mechanics know of another shop [with better diagnosing skill] and "should" pass on the vehicle to those guys. I know emotions can run high, but see if you can talk to your mechanic and give him some wiggle room to suggest a solution.

If you state/list your observed problems and the diagnosis + work by the shop, there is an outside chance that collective wisdom of the members can get the engine running.

Salim

PS: I do apologize as I am suggesting things that you did not ask for. Please ignore my post if the un-solicited advice does not apply.

Last edited by salimshah; 06-22-23 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-24-23, 12:23 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

@Salim, and all forum members, your suggestions and advise is well warranted and received in gratitude.

As you mentioned, many shops including myself will not trust what the id10t did to the car so fixing it may be a challenge.
I see same model year car (Running) with similar milage being listed at around $9k to $14k.
I guess parting out is no longer the option considering the headache and time involved so I'll have to junk it.
I'll post it online first if someone wants to buy it as is and give me better price than the junk shops and after that take my losses.

Bob