Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

Is It Time to Give Up on My 350 Hybrid Order?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-23, 06:57 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Is It Time to Give Up on My 350 Hybrid Order?

Well kids, almost five and a half months after the $1000 deposit went down, not a peep from the dealer. No order update, no VIN to track, etc. A call to the dealer yields nothing. nada. Zilch. I'd have to pull the papers, but I am pretty sure the deal dies in less than a month (6 months after order). At which point it is null and void. Our $60K deal would be 6-10% higher or more if it is a 2024 that eventually gets delivered.

But wait, there's more! We are off to the lake house for the summer in a couple days with the old car (which needs repairs and aging less than gracefully) and if the car actually comes in, then what? I'd have to fly home, insure the car, store it, etc.

Frankly, I am a bit ticked. I might have to find another brand at this point. Or maybe a NX in stock - it will at least be a 2024.
Old 06-25-23, 08:17 PM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

This is just my personal experience, please take it as such.

After spending many weeks looking for a new vehicle, I settled on a Acura RDX Advance in late March. I was told by the salesman that I would probably have to wait until mid-May for the build, and mid to late June for delivery. I am really NOT a fan of the big, aggressive looking grill on the previous generations of RX's so didn't even consider buying one. It was a deal breaker for me.

Long story short, the Acura salesman didn't know what he was talking about and after 3 months of waiting, with absolutely zero communication from our salesman, I got fed up and fortunately (I hope!) took a look at the 2023 Lexus. For me, the new grill isn't as ugly as the old one so after a long conversation with the Lexus salesman, I cancelled my order with Acura, got my deposit back, and put a deposit down on a 23 RX Premium +. I know that I will have to wait for the closest match to what I want, but at least the salesman is communicating with me and I am willing to wait.

My point is, Lexus is not the only manufacturer having supply issues. And I thoroughly understand the lack of communication from the dealer. If the Acura salesman had at least informed me of any updates, even if there was nothing new to report, I would probably still be waiting for a RDX.

So.... Do you really want to start over with the ordering process? And if you do, what brand do you want to change to? As I see it, these are the two main questions that you need to ask yourself. I wish you luck in your decision.

Pete
Old 06-25-23, 10:03 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

I can get a BMW or Volvo hybrid tomorrow.
Old 06-25-23, 10:42 PM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I like being able to order exactly what I want. I do not mind waiting three months knowing that what is coming is exactly the vehicle I want. I do not like how Toyota/Lexus allocates their cars and it looks to be completely broken. I was lucky to find the car I wanted when someone else backed out. A good business plan should not depend on luck.
Old 06-25-23, 10:46 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Originally Posted by krafty81
I like being able to order exactly what I want. I do not mind waiting three months knowing that what is coming is exactly the vehicle I want. I do not like how Toyota/Lexus allocates their cars and it looks to be completely broken. I was lucky to find the car I wanted when someone else backed out. A good business plan should not depend on luck.
In Canada there are no special orders. Just trim levels with fixed features. Really hard to believe that going on almost 6 months my car is nowhere in sight.
Old 06-26-23, 01:44 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99

You could also be hit with a meteor. Don’t buy a German car!
Old 06-26-23, 01:57 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
You could also be hit with a meteor. Don’t buy a German car!
That’s more the reason to get a german car.
Old 06-26-23, 03:03 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

You got more patience than me as I would have given up long ago. Might be time to face the fact that your list of wants are preventing you from getting the vehicle OR there are so few RX350h units in Canada that it would be like winning the lottery!
Old 06-26-23, 03:08 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 703
That’s more the reason to get a german car.

Deutsche Fahrzeuge sind Mist!
Old 06-26-23, 03:59 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 576 Likes on 407 Posts

If you feel this way, then you should go for it; especially since based on your stement your 2024 will cost thousands more that the 2023 you already have a deal on.
Old 06-26-23, 06:19 AM
BCBrent
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Well kids, almost five and a half months after the $1000 deposit went down, not a peep from the dealer. No order update, no VIN to track, etc. A call to the dealer yields nothing. nada. Zilch. I'd have to pull the papers, but I am pretty sure the deal dies in less than a month (6 months after order). At which point it is null and void. Our $60K deal would be 6-10% higher or more if it is a 2024 that eventually gets delivered.

But wait, there's more! We are off to the lake house for the summer in a couple days with the old car (which needs repairs and aging less than gracefully) and if the car actually comes in, then what? I'd have to fly home, insure the car, store it, etc.

Frankly, I am a bit ticked. I might have to find another brand at this point. Or maybe a NX in stock - it will at least be a 2024.
Tell the dealer what your travel plans are, and that when your new vehicle arrives, that they store it for you, till you come back from your trip.

If they don't agree on those conditions, then you have other options, but if they do agree, then go have a good holiday, and hopefully, come back to a new ride.

I too, placed a deposit, late January, and I was told the 500H may come mid-July.
Old 06-26-23, 06:28 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts

I don't know how things work in Canada. All I know is, I was in a similar state, had a deposit since day 1 on a specific trim and color combo, could not get it. Finally in mid April, I called Lexus USA and opened a case - talked to 3 different agents along the way. I showed them proof that my car was being produced but sent to other dealers. They didn't say they did anything, but two weeks later my dealer had the allocation assigned to them, car was built 5/16 and I took delivery 6/15.

It's not a production problem, obviously your trim level is being produced - but its being sent to other dealers. It's an allocation issue, and the Lexus distribution channel for Canada should be able to assist with that, even though they will tell you they can't.
Old 06-26-23, 07:45 AM
RolfK
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want a self-charging hybrid luxury SUV with good gas mileage then the RX 350h is in a class of its own. Of course Lexus comes with higher reliability, lower depreciation and much lower long term maintenance costs than the Europeans. In our case ( US ) I had to call around and order from a dealer in a neighboring state to avoid having to pay above MSRP. We put in a (refundable) deposit against incoming allotments and had our car in three months. Looks like you should take your business to a different dealership.

Last edited by RolfK; 06-26-23 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-26-23, 11:23 AM
winpakbob
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts

After hours and days visiting dealer websites within 600 miles from me, one after the other when I found that perfect RX350h with the colors and trim I wanted it was already sold before it was even shipped. Frustrated, placed a deposit with my local dealer and was told not to get too excited before December 2023. Then, through one kind of miracle timing, exploring online, I found a dealer in Manhattan NYC who's website showed the exact car I was looking for and when I contacted them, they said, the car is on the manufacturing schedule (not yet built or shipped) sure we will put your name on it, it's yours!
So, not believing in the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus I agreed, they never asked for a deposit, gave me a quote on my 2017 Lincoln MKX trade-in with only photos and the VIN so they could look up CarFAX. Four weeks later, the car is in my driveway, my trade sails away and I now will be Santa's best friend forever more. So, I would say to check to see what your limits are and search other dealers and hope you get lucky. It is of course, pure luck. Through it all, I am more than happy with my RX350h Luxury now about 10 weeks old and at 5,200 miles on the clock. Best of luck, it's worth the wait but wish they could be more forthcoming with timing.
The following users liked this post:
RolfK (06-26-23)
Old 06-27-23, 06:55 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 199 Likes on 142 Posts

It IS luck in today's market.

We were expecting to order a car to our specifications (some things were MUST HAVEs, other things were not) but we lucked into our 3000 - mile RX500 on a dealer's lot. SOLD! (Got a good price too)

Wife liked the color, too...

Quick Reply: Is It Time to Give Up on My 350 Hybrid Order?