Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Looking into the NX350 AWD and NX350H

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 08:50 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
Since I actually spent several months on a RAV4 wait list before deciding to switch to the NX, I did do a lot of comparison, so I'll share my insights on the mechanical side of things. There are going to be some model specific tuning differences, but in general the RAV4 and NX share a lot of mechanical features and similarities.
  • The RAV4 has more cargo space than the NX.
  • The RAV4 hybrid engine is the same as the NX350h hybrid engine (A25A-FXS)
  • The RAV4 gas only engine is the same as the NX250 engine (A25A-FKS)
  • The NX turbo engine is not available in the RAV4 (T24A). This engine is newer than the A25A engine which was first out in 2016. The T24A engine was new in 2022. They are somewhat similar engines, both are D4S engines (both port and direct injection). The A25A engine has proven to be very reliable. Issues primarily with the new coolant control valve in the first years, and has had issues with oil contamination from condensation when only used on short trips. No known issues with the turbo engine so far.
  • There is a difference in AWD system from RAV4 gas to NX350. Most models of the RAV4 uses Toyota's typical AWD which offers 0 to 50% power distribution to rear, in everyday driving disconnects the rear wheels after the driveshaft, so 100% front drive unless needed. The NX350 offers full time AWD, with rear power distribution ranging from 25% to 50%. Both use brakes to provide torque control. Some high end RAV4 models (Limited for example), have a different AWD that offers additional clutches that completely disconnect rear driveshaft, but also has clutches for each rear wheel that can control torque without using brakes. They did have a few issues the first couple years with this, but I think its mostly sorted out. In comparison, the hybrid AWD for both relies only on electric drive at rear, so power distribution to rear ranges from 0% to 20-25%.
  • RAV4 and NX both use the same direct shift 8 speed auto. Had some issues when first released in (I think 2017 for Sienna), and the first year or two of the RAV4 had some software issues with it (2019, 2020), but at this point I think it is now issue free. The RAV4 and NX hybrid both use eCVTs which are pretty much issue free as well.
  • NX is generally going to be a quieter ride regardless of hybrid or gas, simply because it will have more sound insulation.
Great comparison. thanks.
Old 07-02-23, 09:55 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by andys1548
I’ve had the 350h for less than a week now. I’m getting great gas mileage. On 1 certain trip I averaged 3L per 100km. I love everything about it, only things I don’t like is that CarPlay doesn’t pause music when Siri is talking. And the other is the lock button on the trunk is weird. It wants me to walk away before it closes but when I walk away it beeps at me and does nothing. Still gotta figure it out I guess lol
Make sure all your keys --digital, card, etc. are outside the car when you try to lock it.
Old 07-03-23, 06:54 AM
jihui88
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been driving my 2024 NX350h for 3 days, the average fuel consumption in 80F weather and smooth road is 32.5 mpg, Mostly NYC local drive at a speed between 20mph-60mph, never done hard acceleration. The speaker was pretty good without mark levinson, it is much better than my Honda accord.
Old 07-03-23, 07:32 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I must say, I can get as bad as 32 hiway mpg if I just go hard without thinking about saving fuel. BUT, if I consciously think about it, but not hypermiling, and drive lightly, but with traffic, I have seen 37mpg hiway/47mpg 2 lane rd. It responds to a light touch more than an ICE car would. Honestly, it was a novelty, and now I just drive regular with "above ICE average" mpg.
Old 07-03-23, 10:45 AM
Malky
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

NX350H with luxury package here:

i have the ML system and I would rate it as average. The BO system in my Audi SQ5 sounds much better. The sound doesn’t have much depth and doesn’t sound full.

At the moment I’m far exceeding the rated MPG but have a feeling it’s the Washington state weather. We’re averaging 70-75 degree temps here which is probably the battery’s sweet spot. I’m averaging a very respectable 49 mpg in 20% hwy / 80% city driving.

Last edited by Malky; 07-03-23 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 10:52 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Malky
NX350H with luxury package here:

i have the ML system and I would rate it as average. The BO system in my Audi SQ5 sounds much better. The sound doesn’t have much depth and doesn’t sound full.

At the moment I’m far exceeding the rated MPG but have a feeling it’s the Washington state weather. We’re averaging 70-75 degree temps here which is probably the battery’s sweet spot. I’m averaging a very respectable 49 mpg in 20% hwy / 80% city driving.
ML is really better than the system in the Premium also or about the same.
Old 07-03-23, 11:16 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

I have a 350h, top of the line Executive package here in Canada. The ML system and HUD as well as the rest of the options were must have for me coming from an RX FSport 3 that had everything as well. The ML sound is awesome even at mid volume and IMHO improved over the previous generation. The hybrid mileage is excellent on regular fuel and the performance is also great. Wife and I both really like the car. I would recommend the hybrid over the turbo, but to each their own.
websurfer (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 04:32 PM
andys1548
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by romer
Make sure all your keys --digital, card, etc. are outside the car when you try to lock it.
Well yeah they are. It’s the sensor thinking I’m in its way so it won’t close. We have no issues with our 2020 RX tailgate lock button. I called my sales guy and he said it’s a bit different on these new gen cars. The lock button allows you to gather your stuff and then as you walk away it’ll do its thing.
Old 07-03-23, 04:59 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
Since I actually spent several months on a RAV4 wait list before deciding to switch to the NX, I did do a lot of comparison, so I'll share my insights on the mechanical side of things. There are going to be some model specific tuning differences, but in general the RAV4 and NX share a lot of mechanical features and similarities.
  • The RAV4 has more cargo space than the NX.
  • The RAV4 hybrid engine is the same as the NX350h hybrid engine (A25A-FXS)
  • The RAV4 gas only engine is the same as the NX250 engine (A25A-FKS)
  • The NX turbo engine is not available in the RAV4 (T24A). This engine is newer than the A25A engine which was first out in 2016. The T24A engine was new in 2022. They are somewhat similar engines, both are D4S engines (both port and direct injection). The A25A engine has proven to be very reliable. Issues primarily with the new coolant control valve in the first years, and has had issues with oil contamination from condensation when only used on short trips. No known issues with the turbo engine so far.
  • There is a difference in AWD system from RAV4 gas to NX350. Most models of the RAV4 uses Toyota's typical AWD which offers 0 to 50% power distribution to rear, in everyday driving disconnects the rear wheels after the driveshaft, so 100% front drive unless needed. The NX350 offers full time AWD, with rear power distribution ranging from 25% to 50%. Both use brakes to provide torque control. Some high end RAV4 models (Limited for example), have a different AWD that offers additional clutches that completely disconnect rear driveshaft, but also has clutches for each rear wheel that can control torque without using brakes. They did have a few issues the first couple years with this, but I think its mostly sorted out. In comparison, the hybrid AWD for both relies only on electric drive at rear, so power distribution to rear ranges from 0% to 20-25%.
  • RAV4 and NX both use the same direct shift 8 speed auto. Had some issues when first released in (I think 2017 for Sienna), and the first year or two of the RAV4 had some software issues with it (2019, 2020), but at this point I think it is now issue free. The RAV4 and NX hybrid both use eCVTs which are pretty much issue free as well.
  • NX is generally going to be a quieter ride regardless of hybrid or gas, simply because it will have more sound insulation.
A couple of things I forgot about until reading this post:
  • My top of the line 2020 Avalon Hybrid did not have Automatic Windshield Wipers. Most Lexus models do.
  • The Avalon Hybrid does not have acoustic windshield glass or acoustic front seat side glass. The Lexus does.
I found out if the Avalon doesn’t have it, the RAV4 doesn’t either.

Old 07-03-23, 05:04 PM
andys1548
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
A couple of things I forgot about until reading this post:
  • My top of the line 2020 Avalon Hybrid did not have Automatic Windshield Wipers. Most Lexus models do.
  • The Avalon Hybrid does not have acoustic windshield glass or acoustic front seat side glass. The Lexus does.
I found out if the Avalon doesn’t have it, the RAV4 doesn’t either.
My NX350h only has lamisafe for the windshield. I don’t think that’s acoustic right?
Old 07-03-23, 05:38 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by andys1548
My NX350h only has lamisafe for the windshield. I don’t think that’s acoustic right?
I'm not for certain. There is a thread that someone posted the info. I thought it was but you may be right. Sorry, I can't remember the thread. But I know its on here.

Old 07-04-23, 07:44 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

AGC Automotive (agc-automotive.com)

Noise reduction is claimed, among other benefits.
Old 07-04-23, 01:54 PM
OldManToad
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had our 2022 NX 350h since Oct. 22. We just completed our first long trip from Lexington KY. to Myrtle Beach SC. I drove mainly on interstate which consisted of traveling through the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina. Most of the trip I used Adaptive Cruise Control set at 2 or 3 mph over the speed limit. According to the car, I averaged 39.5 mpg for the entire vacation. In city driving around town I typically get somewhere around 42 mpg, and sometimes into the upper 40s. I would say the EPA estimates are spot on.

This was probably the easiest long trip I have made in a long time. Love this car.

2022 Lexus NX 350h Eminent White Pearl with Rioja Red
romer (07-04-23)
Old 07-04-23, 09:43 PM
websurfer
Racer

I had test drove the NX350h, NX350 AWD and Rav4 XLE (gas) AWD at a Lexus dealer this July 2nd. NX350h was the best for ride, comfort, power followed by NX350 (gas) AWD. The RAV4 XLE Premium AWD (gas) only seems wait for the downshift.

I had test drove the Rav4 Hybrid Limited at another dealer and the power is more than adequate, smooth and seats were good with enough adjustments also. The material is ok but nothing great about hard plastic.

Not sure the NX 350h premium had more adjustments for the driver seat, maybe someone can fill me in.

The Rav4 JBL system was really bad, I adjusted the volume and sound and everything around the same audio level. I adjusted the Treble, Bass and mid still nothing appeared to have changed. Speaker count 9 or 11 (depending on the how you count it) on the Rav4 didn't seem to matter.

Is the NX 350h Premium audio any better?

I have the ML system on my GS and it's hard to beat so far but I'm considering a SUV with some cargo with the newer tech.
Old 07-05-23, 03:55 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by websurfer
I had test drove the NX350h, NX350 AWD and Rav4 XLE (gas) AWD at a Lexus dealer this July 2nd. NX350h was the best for ride, comfort, power followed by NX350 (gas) AWD. The RAV4 XLE Premium AWD (gas) only seems wait for the downshift.

I had test drove the Rav4 Hybrid Limited at another dealer and the power is more than adequate, smooth and seats were good with enough adjustments also. The material is ok but nothing great about hard plastic.

Not sure the NX 350h premium had more adjustments for the driver seat, maybe someone can fill me in.

The Rav4 JBL system was really bad, I adjusted the volume and sound and everything around the same audio level. I adjusted the Treble, Bass and mid still nothing appeared to have changed. Speaker count 9 or 11 (depending on the how you count it) on the Rav4 didn't seem to matter.

Is the NX 350h Premium audio any better?

I have the ML system on my GS and it's hard to beat so far but I'm considering a SUV with some cargo with the newer tech.
As a retired sound man unfortunately I wear hearing aids now and all sound systems sound like crap. So I can’t really provide a comment on the sound systems anymore.

I did want to remind you the NX model comes with Run Flat tires and NO spare tire. The cargo space is there although small in my opinion. It is even smaller if you decide to purchase your own spare tire and carry it. If you do then since there is no where under the hatch to store it, it will make your cargo area shrink really fast. You will not have much room left for “cargo”. Just drove across state to Daytona Beach for a week. Had the spare tire, electric cooler and 1 medium suitcase and cargo area was FULL. I did not lay the back seat backs down. If I had there would have been more area but not a lot to brag about.

So while you’re thinking about stereo systems at the same time a cargo area, you’ll need to think about the tires as well. I just swapped my Run Flats out for real tires with Pirelli’s. I had 2,800 miles on the car. Decision was made to get the Modern Spare with the tools (no tools provided as well). I can’t believe how much quieter it is driving the car now with the Pirelli’s. The wife even commented on the difference in sound quality driving the car.

Hope this helped in the decision making process.
websurfer (07-05-23)

Quick Reply: Looking into the NX350 AWD and NX350H