Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Looking into the NX350 AWD and NX350H

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 09:39 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
As a retired sound man unfortunately I wear hearing aids now and all sound systems sound like crap. So I can’t really provide a comment on the sound systems anymore.

I did want to remind you the NX model comes with Run Flat tires and NO spare tire. The cargo space is there although small in my opinion. It is even smaller if you decide to purchase your own spare tire and carry it. If you do then since there is no where under the hatch to store it, it will make your cargo area shrink really fast. You will not have much room left for “cargo”. Just drove across state to Daytona Beach for a week. Had the spare tire, electric cooler and 1 medium suitcase and cargo area was FULL. I did not lay the back seat backs down. If I had there would have been more area but not a lot to brag about.

So while you’re thinking about stereo systems at the same time a cargo area, you’ll need to think about the tires as well. I just swapped my Run Flats out for real tires with Pirelli’s. I had 2,800 miles on the car. Decision was made to get the Modern Spare with the tools (no tools provided as well). I can’t believe how much quieter it is driving the car now with the Pirelli’s. The wife even commented on the difference in sound quality driving the car.

Hope this helped in the decision making process.
Thanks for sharing also. I think Run Flat tires can go 100 miles when flat and cost around $300 to replace. Is that true?

Space is an issue. For the similar price I can get a larger Rav4 Hybrid XSE or limited with 360 panoramic view camera though.
Old 07-05-23, 09:45 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Thanks for sharing also. I think Run Flat tires can go 100 miles when flat and cost around $300 to replace. Is that true?

Space is an issue. For the similar price I can get a larger Rav4 Hybrid XSE or limited with 360 panoramic view camera though.
The manual says if you have a flat to drive no faster than 50MPH and no more than 50 miles. Then you HAVE to replace the tire. No repairs allowed on RF’s. The problem is no one stocks them. So you’d have to wait for them to ship one to the shop while you’re on the road. Or buy a regular tire and then replace it with RF when you can. That’s 2 tires you have to buy now.

No Thanks. I put Pirelli’s on it and purchased a spare and the jack and tools.

Last edited by SgtLip; 07-05-23 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Correct Typo's
Old 07-05-23, 09:58 AM
websurfer
Racer

The manual says if you have a flat to drive no faster than 50MPH and no more than 50 miles. Then you HAVE to replace the tire. No repairs allowed on RF’s. The problem is no one stocks them. So you’d have to edit for them to ship one to the shop while you’re on the road. Or buy a regular tire and then replace it with RF when you can. That’s 2 tires you gave to buy now.

No Thanks. I put Pirelli’s on it and purchased a spare and the jack and tools.
Excellent info. Thanks. My friend has RF and has gone thru this pain for 2 times in 1 month since he had 2 flats on his BMW also.
Old 07-05-23, 07:42 PM
DenverRx
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

25mpg and premium gas ($0.60 more per gallon in Colorado); no thanks to the turbo. I'll take the similar performance & 44 mpg I'm getting from my 350h. Wish it came as an F-Sport. My wife just got a 23' Rav4 hybrid limited, Nice car, but no where as good as my 22' (Premium).
The following 3 users liked this post by DenverRx:
blueless (07-22-23), Freds430 (07-06-23), websurfer (07-05-23)
Old 07-22-23, 06:53 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

350h vs 350............ aside from fuel economy would you know the difference. Any other benefits about having an "h" over non h. Reason I'm asking. We just bought a 350Lux and really like it. Thinking about a second NX and considering a 350h. We put on about 300-500 a month. It would not be a bad thing to stay out of the gas stations...also gas stations close periodically (Florida) and it gets nuts for a few days. Question is does it matter other than getting better mileage...would I be missing something not getting a 350h? Thanks, Frank
Old 07-22-23, 09:01 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
other than getting better mileage...would I be missing something not getting a 350h? Thanks, Frank
  • Space ship sounds at low speeds
  • No transmission shifting.
  • Less noticeable start-stop
  • In theory, slightly less capable AWD
  • longer lasting brakes (but shouldn't be confused with not requiring regular brake service)

The following 2 users liked this post by Droid13:
SgtLip (07-23-23), Sounds (07-23-23)
Old 07-23-23, 04:51 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

That is about the truth. Every one of the points @Droid13 mentioned is what I was thinking as well. But to point out the obvious and what you already acknowledged, the main point will be the fuel economy. You can own a Hybrid and still get the exact same fuel mileage as an ICE!!!! It all depends on how you drive it. The power is there in a Hybrid if you need it. Every Hybrid I've owned has the get up and go when you step on it. But changing to a Hybrid has to be a mindset. If you're going to drive a Hybrid and/or an EV you have to modify the way you drive. YOU have to decide if you own it for the fuel mileage and if so drive accordingly or drive it like a race car. Before owning my first Hybrid, I knew nothing about them and drove like a race car driver. Once I made the decision to own one, I pretty much drive the speed limit and I no longer worry about getting to the toll plaza first or anywhere in less than 2 minutes. I've owned 2 Lexus ES Hybrids as well as a Toyota Avalon Hybrid and was getting average 55 MPG out of them when I sold them. I only kept them for average 1-2 years as I wanted the newer model. The last ES300H was a beautiful car. But with my knee problems (Thank You USNavy) I had to get the NX or an elevated vehicle. I wanted a Subaru but they don't make a Hybrid except for the Crosstrek. It's a beautiful car (I owned one) but it's too small. I tried to get the NX for almost 2 years and couldn't buy one anywhere. Now I own the 450H+. But you have to remember why you are buying the Hybrid. The comfort will be there in either model as will all the things you want. But it is that first step into the future of driving an EV without it being dependent on electricity. Someone can STILL bring you a gallon of gas if you run out. They haven't figured out how to bring you a gallon of electricity yet. And with the price of fuel going up and up, fuel economy matters, unless you have more money then sense. But that's my take. I switched to Hybrid and haven't looked back.

Oh yeah, my CURRENT mileage is below.
Old 07-23-23, 05:42 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Thanks for both replies. Will give the h a lot of thought. The thing would motivate me to choose a hybrid would be a certain WaWa gas station at 441/Atlantic Ave in S. Florida... the music coming out of the pump is loud and obnoxious. Someone covered it with duct tape.
Changing subjects.... why is the danged fuel door on the drivers side. That gets annoying when the stations are crowded.
Old 07-23-23, 07:24 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Thanks for both replies. Will give the h a lot of thought. The thing would motivate me to choose a hybrid would be a certain WaWa gas station at 441/Atlantic Ave in S. Florida... the music coming out of the pump is loud and obnoxious. Someone covered it with duct tape.
Changing subjects.... why is the danged fuel door on the drivers side. That gets annoying when the stations are crowded.
Heck I just wish the industry could all put them on one side and be done. Watch a lot of Motortrend and it seems like most of the mods include a gas hole delete. They’re all putting the refill point in the bed of trucks or inside the trunk. As for location, the 450H+ has 2 fill points. One on each side. Driverside has fuel and Passenger side has EV.

I was using WaWa Ethanol Free in all of my ES’s and Avalon. The older WaWa stations don’t have the Ethanol Free though so you have to look around if that’s what you use. I’m using a higher grade Ethanol Free in the NX. So I’m going to Sunoco nowadays. I haven’t had to fill up that often in the 450H+.

Where are you in S Florida? I was born and raised in Miami. Joined the Air Force in 1971 and have been back 3-4 times since. But I still love that city, but for different reasons.

Old 07-23-23, 07:53 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Heck I just wish the industry could all put them on one side and be done. Watch a lot of Motortrend and it seems like most of the mods include a gas hole delete. They’re all putting the refill point in the bed of trucks or inside the trunk. As for location, the 450H+ has 2 fill points. One on each side. Driverside has fuel and Passenger side has EV.

I was using WaWa Ethanol Free in all of my ES’s and Avalon. The older WaWa stations don’t have the Ethanol Free though so you have to look around if that’s what you use. I’m using a higher grade Ethanol Free in the NX. So I’m going to Sunoco nowadays. I haven’t had to fill up that often in the 450H+.

Where are you in S Florida? I was born and raised in Miami. Joined the Air Force in 1971 and have been back 3-4 times since. But I still love that city, but for different reasons.
Boynton.. moved from Lake Worth.
Difference>>450h 350h
Old 07-23-23, 08:17 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Boynton.. moved from Lake Worth.
Difference>>450h 350h
Was that a question or a statement?
Old 07-23-23, 10:44 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Was that a question or a statement?
Statement:Sorry… sometimes people tell me to be more vague.
Where I live, When in Florida we’re in Boynton. We moved there from Lake Worth a few years ago.

350-450 was a question but have found the answer.

Last edited by Sounds; 08-09-23 at 09:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (07-23-23)
Old 08-09-23, 07:47 PM
Misterjim
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
Since I actually spent several months on a RAV4 wait list before deciding to switch to the NX, I did do a lot of comparison, so I'll share my insights on the mechanical side of things. There are going to be some model specific tuning differences, but in general the RAV4 and NX share a lot of mechanical features and similarities.
  • The RAV4 has more cargo space than the NX.
  • The RAV4 hybrid engine is the same as the NX350h hybrid engine (A25A-FXS)
  • The RAV4 gas only engine is the same as the NX250 engine (A25A-FKS)
  • The NX turbo engine is not available in the RAV4 (T24A). This engine is newer than the A25A engine which was first out in 2016. The T24A engine was new in 2022. They are somewhat similar engines, both are D4S engines (both port and direct injection). The A25A engine has proven to be very reliable. Issues primarily with the new coolant control valve in the first years, and has had issues with oil contamination from condensation when only used on short trips. No known issues with the turbo engine so far.
  • There is a difference in AWD system from RAV4 gas to NX350. Most models of the RAV4 uses Toyota's typical AWD which offers 0 to 50% power distribution to rear, in everyday driving disconnects the rear wheels after the driveshaft, so 100% front drive unless needed. The NX350 offers full time AWD, with rear power distribution ranging from 25% to 50%. Both use brakes to provide torque control. Some high end RAV4 models (Limited for example), have a different AWD that offers additional clutches that completely disconnect rear driveshaft, but also has clutches for each rear wheel that can control torque without using brakes. They did have a few issues the first couple years with this, but I think its mostly sorted out. In comparison, the hybrid AWD for both relies only on electric drive at rear, so power distribution to rear ranges from 0% to 20-25%.
  • RAV4 and NX both use the same direct shift 8 speed auto. Had some issues when first released in (I think 2017 for Sienna), and the first year or two of the RAV4 had some software issues with it (2019, 2020), but at this point I think it is now issue free. The RAV4 and NX hybrid both use eCVTs which are pretty much issue free as well.
  • NX is generally going to be a quieter ride regardless of hybrid or gas, simply because it will have more sound insulation.
Just how much less space is there in the NX compared to the RAV4? If I look at the published numbers of volume there is a huge difference! Almost hard to believe since these are built on the same platform. I am cross shopping the Acura RDX since it is supposed to be much roomier.
Old 08-09-23, 09:01 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Misterjim
Just how much less space is there in the NX compared to the RAV4? If I look at the published numbers of volume there is a huge difference! Almost hard to believe since these are built on the same platform. I am cross shopping the Acura RDX since it is supposed to be much roomier.
Yes, it's way smaller when we looked in person. Lexus failed to clone the Rav4 sizing also.
Old 08-10-23, 06:17 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

They share a lot of the same suspension and powertrain components, but the bodies are designed separately. The RAV4 is an sUv, the NX is an Suv, your choice if S is for sport or that other 4 letter S word

Just looking from the back gets a sense of potential differences in cargo space volume. Also, the NX is designed for larger wheels, so I imagine that might also has some possible impact on cargo volume.

Quick Reply: Looking into the NX350 AWD and NX350H