Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Looking into the NX350 AWD and NX350H

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 06:09 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Looking into the NX350 AWD and NX350H

Hi All,

We are looking into the NX350 AWD and NX 350H. I hope some can help with some questions about these 2 vehicles.

Probably the Premium package. How's the radio like, is there enough base? Any static or distortion?

For the NX350 and NX 350H, Do you'll get the MPG as advertised? I'm reading that some reports that drivers are getting less MPG? Any problems besides the one I read about Carplay and Android Auto wireless problems?

NX350 AWD, anyone have any issues with the turbo engine in particular?

NX350H wait times appears to be super long. Any problems with the hybrid also?

How's the cargo capacity, is it too small or just right?

We are trying to compare to the Toyota Rav4 XSE. I know the Rav4 has different engine but cargo capacity appears to be a tab better but the engine is weaker but it's not turbo.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by websurfer; 07-02-23 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-02-23, 07:20 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

We bought our 2023 Lexus NX 350h December 14th of 2022. So over 6 months. Mostly my wife's car she loves it. Getting 40 miles per gallon. No connectivity issues. We love the 14-in infotainment system screen. We did have a problem at first with her phone connecting about 50% of the time to Android Auto. She had an old Samsung S9. We got her an S22 and haven't had one problem since. Friend has exact same car 4 months old she uses Apple CarPlay and it's never had one problem with connecting. She also is getting 40 miles per gallon and not one problem with it.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (07-02-23)
Old 07-02-23, 07:35 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

My first venture into Hybrid world was a 2020 Toyota Avalon. I haven't looked back yet. I refuse to own a non-hybrid vehicle again. I recently sold my 2021 ES300H. I started out getting 33MPG average. My buddy had exact same car and said to use Ethanol Free gas. I changed over and MPG jumped to 40 after 3-4 fill-ups. I was getting average 45MPG when I sold it after two years. It had the same engine set-up as the NX350H.

I waited 2 years to get a 350H and never got a call from any of 5 dealers. Then one day I received a call from one of the dealers offering me their only 23 NX450H+ (each Florida dealer gets ONE 450H+ each year). So I can't really provide accurate MPG to compare it to the 350H. This is my first shot at EV (although it's only partial EV) but I think I like it a lot. But not enough to go complete EV yet.

Old 07-02-23, 08:51 AM
romer
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I have about 2000 miles on my 350h. 70% is highway miles. Lexus says you get 41 mpg in town and 37 mpg highway. I calculate after each fill and so far averaging 41.12 mpg which matches the Lexus dash gauge average exactly. 41.1 BUT ymmv. How you drive is the biggest factor in what MPG you'll get on any car.
Old 07-02-23, 09:42 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by romer
I have about 2000 miles on my 350h. 70% is highway miles. Lexus says you get 41 mpg in town and 37 mpg highway. I calculate after each fill and so far averaging 41.12 mpg which matches the Lexus dash gauge average exactly. 41.1 BUT ymmv. How you drive is the biggest factor in what MPG you'll get on any car.
I will probably used it as a commute vehicle. Driving to work is 1:15hr and driving back ranges from 1:15 to around 1:45 due the traffic congestions. I don't think I'm ready for the NX 450H+.

I had another hybrid (Accord Hybrid) and it was decent but the mileage really went down a lot during the winter.
Old 07-02-23, 09:49 AM
andys1548
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I’ve had the 350h for less than a week now. I’m getting great gas mileage. On 1 certain trip I averaged 3L per 100km. I love everything about it, only things I don’t like is that CarPlay doesn’t pause music when Siri is talking. And the other is the lock button on the trunk is weird. It wants me to walk away before it closes but when I walk away it beeps at me and does nothing. Still gotta figure it out I guess lol
LAGS (07-24-23)
Old 07-02-23, 10:29 AM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a '22 NX350 AWD, with the premium package plus the 14" display. I've had it for 13 months now and have put just under 14K miles on it, probably 70% city/suburban driving with the rest being highway miles.

Originally Posted by websurfer
Hi All,

We are looking into the NX350 AWD and NX 350H. I hope some can help with some questions about these 2 vehicles.

Probably the Premium package. How's the radio like, is there enough base? Any static or distortion?
I'm no audiophile, but I think the radio is fine - I mostly listen to SiriusXM radio. The bass is adequate, although I did up it a notch or two in the settings. No static or distortion at the normal volumes I listen at.

For the NX350 and NX 350H, Do you'll get the MPG as advertised? I'm reading that some reports that drivers are getting less MPG? Any problems besides the one I read about Carplay and Android Auto wireless problems?
I get pretty close to what the EPA ratings are. I have the turbo, which is rated 22/29 - the best I've gotten on the highway is about 28, but I also drive a lot faster than the EPA prefers. 22 in the city sounds about right in my experience. My only fuel-related complaint is that the gas tank is too small - 14.5 gallons.

My iPhone 12 occasionally fails to connect via wireless CarPlay, that's the only problem there that I have. A quick reboot of the system usually solves it.

NX350 AWD, anyone have any issues with the turbo engine in particular?
No mechanical problems whatsoever. The engine sounds a little coarse accelerating from a stop, but that may be more a function of it being a turbo 4 than a failure by Lexus.

How's the cargo capacity, is it too small or just right?
I have no problem with the cargo volume...it's slightly smaller than the '04 RX I came from, but it meets my needs. My wife and I went down to the airport this past Wednesday to pick our son up from his week-long hiking trip in New Mexico, and when we got there we discovered that the ride home for two other participants had cancelled at the last moment. The car was full with the five of us, three large duffels, plus a few carry-on bags and a laptop bag, but everything fit and nobody had anything in their laps.

We are trying to compare to the Toyota Rav4 XSE. I know the Rav4 has different engine but cargo capacity appears to be a tab better but the engine is weaker but it's not turbo.

Thanks for sharing.
Happy to help. You can't go wrong with either of those vehicles.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dorsai:
Kodiak412 (08-10-23), SgtLip (07-02-23), websurfer (07-02-23)
Old 07-02-23, 11:59 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

On 350h, you can easily get rated MPG, if you drive reasonably you should do better. However, if you are a lead foot driver and brake hard, your just will not optimized the hybrid system, so expect lesss.

I get in Colorado winter 37=39 MPG, summer 40-44+. 20in tires/35PSI. I drive like I know it is a thyroid. LOL
Old 07-02-23, 12:33 PM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

I have put 27000 miles on my 2022 NX 350 hybrid and get 40 mpg. I do a lot of highway driving and when driving in eco mode get better than the advertised mpg. Use 87 top tier gas and have had no mechanical or electrical issues. Has occasional connectivity issues with apple car play, but I just restart car to connect. I would recommend the hybrid if you can wait
websurfer (07-02-23)
Old 07-02-23, 04:20 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus22563
I have put 27000 miles on my 2022 NX 350 hybrid and get 40 mpg. I do a lot of highway driving and when driving in eco mode get better than the advertised mpg. Use 87 top tier gas and have had no mechanical or electrical issues. Has occasional connectivity issues with apple car play, but I just restart car to connect. I would recommend the hybrid if you can wait
Try instead of cutting off engine press in and hold two seconds the volume button which restarts the infotainment system.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
Lexus22563 (07-02-23), romer (07-02-23)
Old 07-02-23, 05:21 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus22563
I would try to unpair the iphone and re-pairing the iphone to see if it's better. I read stories that helped.

I test drove a demo NX350h, NX350 AWD and Rav4 XLE but I have to say, the NX350h appears a bit slower but more smoother than the NX350 AWD but so little difference. The NX were especially better than the Rav4 XLE gas only models. The NX was a bit small for the 2nd row and cargo area appeared a bit smaller than the Rav4 though.

No Rav4 hybrid available to test though. If I didn't needed the space, it would have been an easy NX350h. The wait time is around 3 months as the Lexus dealer told me and I'm not able to add features given they have a standard built already.
Lexus22563 (07-02-23)
Old 07-02-23, 07:03 PM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Freds430
Try instead of cutting off engine press in and hold two seconds the volume button which restarts the infotainment system.
Thank you I will try that next time.
Old 07-02-23, 07:13 PM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Web surfer, the RaV4 hybrid does have more cargo space. But if you want a better infotainment system and more luxury amenities and a bit more powerful electric motor then the 350h is the better choice. Little things like the side mirrors tilting down when in reverse are nice to have and that is just one of many nice things that the Rav4 does not have
the NX350H has extra options added to their premium as well as luxury models all the time. You can ask the dealer what they typically come with assuming you are in the US.

Last edited by Lexus22563; 07-02-23 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 07:29 PM
hoopeht
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 2024 NX350.

I don't have mark levinson. The radio is fine but there's nothing to brag about either. I'd say no static or distortion. Base is ok if I tune it up. It didn't quite give me that 'wow' feeling. If you're looking for some background music to pass time while driving, it's perfectly fine. But if you're looking for a truly immersive, surround-sound experience, this falls short.

I get a little over 32 MPG with high-way driving, which is higher than the 29MPG advertised. However, with constant stop-and-go traffic when driving in places like NYC, I only get 15MPG, which is lower than the 20MPG advertised.

No Carplay problem ever. I'm the only driver so there's only one driver profile, one keyfob and one phone though. I heard that a lot of issues results from switching drivers. Don't know if that's true though.

No issues with the turbo engine.

Cargo capacity is good for my needs. On road trips, I usually fold down the rear seats and the cargo space is more than enough for luggages and a dog.
Old 07-02-23, 08:16 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

Since I actually spent several months on a RAV4 wait list before deciding to switch to the NX, I did do a lot of comparison, so I'll share my insights on the mechanical side of things. There are going to be some model specific tuning differences, but in general the RAV4 and NX share a lot of mechanical features and similarities.
  • The RAV4 has more cargo space than the NX.
  • The RAV4 hybrid engine is the same as the NX350h hybrid engine (A25A-FXS)
  • The RAV4 gas only engine is the same as the NX250 engine (A25A-FKS)
  • The NX turbo engine is not available in the RAV4 (T24A). This engine is newer than the A25A engine which was first out in 2016. The T24A engine was new in 2022. They are somewhat similar engines, both are D4S engines (both port and direct injection). The A25A engine has proven to be very reliable. Issues primarily with the new coolant control valve in the first years, and has had issues with oil contamination from condensation when only used on short trips. No known issues with the turbo engine so far.
  • There is a difference in AWD system from RAV4 gas to NX350. Most models of the RAV4 uses Toyota's typical AWD which offers 0 to 50% power distribution to rear, in everyday driving disconnects the rear wheels after the driveshaft, so 100% front drive unless needed. The NX350 offers full time AWD, with rear power distribution ranging from 25% to 50%. Both use brakes to provide torque control. Some high end RAV4 models (Limited for example), have a different AWD that offers additional clutches that completely disconnect rear driveshaft, but also has clutches for each rear wheel that can control torque without using brakes. They did have a few issues the first couple years with this, but I think its mostly sorted out. In comparison, the hybrid AWD for both relies only on electric drive at rear, so power distribution to rear ranges from 0% to 20-25%.
  • RAV4 and NX both use the same direct shift 8 speed auto. Had some issues when first released in (I think 2017 for Sienna), and the first year or two of the RAV4 had some software issues with it (2019, 2020), but at this point I think it is now issue free. The RAV4 and NX hybrid both use eCVTs which are pretty much issue free as well.
  • NX is generally going to be a quieter ride regardless of hybrid or gas, simply because it will have more sound insulation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Droid13:
Kodiak412 (08-10-23), websurfer (07-02-23)

Quick Reply: Looking into the NX350 AWD and NX350H