Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

Brand new RX500h went kaput

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 05:38 PM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

8/5/23 Update

We went to the dealership yesterday (Friday) to do a loaner car exchange. Checked on the status of the shipment of the transmission and TCM. When they looked it up, they saw the order, but there was no ship date nor was there any ETA. Based on another thread, I told the service advisor that I have seen it take near 90 days to get the parts. He said that is true. I then replied that would be past the 30 day Lemon Law period and he said that is true and the sales side would be the group handling that should it exceed the 30 days.

SO......I am expecting to have to do the buyback thing soon.
Old 08-06-23, 06:33 AM
Steveg67
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the lemon law group handle my case. Dont do it on your own
The following users liked this post:
StockVictim (08-06-23)
Old 08-06-23, 12:07 PM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by StockVictim
8/5/23 Update

We went to the dealership yesterday (Friday) to do a loaner car exchange. Checked on the status of the shipment of the transmission and TCM. When they looked it up, they saw the order, but there was no ship date nor was there any ETA. Based on another thread, I told the service advisor that I have seen it take near 90 days to get the parts. He said that is true. I then replied that would be past the 30 day Lemon Law period and he said that is true and the sales side would be the group handling that should it exceed the 30 days.

SO......I am expecting to have to do the buyback thing soon.
My car was in the shop for 20 days for a sunroof part and Lexus paid me out for 2 months of my loan. You can probably get a big 5+ month check if you stick with the car. The dealership sales manager should be able to take care of it without you doing anything. Took about 6 weeks for them to get the money from lexus and to mail me the check.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vanguard:
Julius071 (08-06-23), StockVictim (08-06-23)
Old 08-25-23, 10:15 AM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

8/25/2023 Update

Today is the 31st day that the car is at the dealership. Have not heard a peep from the dealer or Lexus since my last update. My wife and I are going today to start the buyback discussions.
Old 08-26-23, 02:55 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by StockVictim
8/25/2023 Update

Today is the 31st day that the car is at the dealership. Have not heard a peep from the dealer or Lexus since my last update. My wife and I are going today to start the buyback discussions.
‘There should be a small pamphlet in your paperwork package that describes the Lemon Laws and how they work. Good Luck.
StockVictim (08-26-23)
Old 08-26-23, 04:38 PM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

8/26/2023 Update

We couldn't make it yesterday, but went today. Unfortunately, both the service director and the sales director were not there. We spoke to the used car sales manager who wanted to speak to us and ensure that he would have those guys contact us on Monday. Our sales guy happened to be walking by and sat in with us for the conversation. After the sales manager left, we were talking with our salesman. Very nice guy, was a former service manager at a Lexus in a different city. He said he was personally going to keep on top of this as well and said Lexus is very good at taking this kind of thing extremely seriously.
Old 08-27-23, 08:36 PM
Abdel
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I start.

I only have my Rx500h for 5 months and I have went to the dealer around 15 times already. There is loud noise coming from the roof. The gas petal makes a noise. The sound system goes out at least once a week and I can’t hear my music, navigation, radio, my warning alerts and even the ASC. I even took a video of nothing working and they didn’t have a fix for me. The car lost power 3 times while driving for a few seconds, but that few seconds could have cost me my life. The best part is Lexus said it doesn’t show anything wrong on their end so if I do get into an accident became of that reason, it’s all on me.I also added in a Lexus integrated camera and when the car loses the power, the camera doesn’t save the last 2 times of video. I could even show them that is happening. Also the car came with a few cosmetic defects, the cosmetic defect was the only things they have fixed so far. I would advise anyone that is looking at new models Lexus. Don’t do it. The older ones were build good. Now they just trying to get money. Ohh and the hybrid system when it switches from electric to gas on some days, it’s not a smooth change. You feel a jerk in the change. The headlight washers was stuck when I only had 400 miles on the car. The design of the car is very poor, if you like to drive with the front windows down, the car makes such a loud noise that you can’t. That is all that I can think of right now.
Old 08-28-23, 02:12 AM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

keep in mind just because you are having these issues doesn’t mean thousands of others do , or they have no or very few issues .

all cars today are so complex then when something goes wrong it can effect lots of other goings on .

that is true in every brand.

very few just post that they have no issues or are even on forums , it’s usually those who do have problems and so it seems it is far more wide spread ..

Measured (08-29-23)
Old 09-02-23, 09:48 AM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

9/2/23 Update

Ok, here goes. We were notified by a Lexus Corporate Dispute Resolution Analyst that the dealership (unbeknownst to us) submitted the vehicle for buyback under California Lemon Law. Apparently, the parts are so delayed on back order that there is no ETA, could be months. Lexus is going forward with a buyback of the vehicle, which could take up to 4 weeks to complete, but may be sooner.

In case anyone has to go through this process, we had to provide the lender payoff amount, transaction history (payments), copy of the registration, copy of the sales contract, and 5 pictures of the vehicle (front, back, both sides, and the interior).

Dealer installed options like window tint are not covered in the reimbursement from Lexus and has to be handled directly with the dealership.

We really do like the RX500 and are going to go ahead with a replacement. We spoke to our salesman and had taken a copy of the factory sticker for one of the ones in build/transit. I requested that he talk to his management about the best deal possible considering what we went through. He was amazed and very appreciative that we would consider a replacement RX from their dealership. They provided us with a quote last night with a reasonable discount. The car is still at the factory and is slated to arrive in about 3 weeks. The dealership is reserving the RX for us and is waiving the usual $1000 deposit for a hold.

My wife is happy with the resolution so far, and although we could maybe moan and complain and gripe for more in return, I just don't have the time and bandwidth for this anymore and she is ok with it. Plus, she is going to be starting chemo treatments next week for 3 months and I just need this crap over with.

More updates to come.
The following 2 users liked this post by StockVictim:
Derek305T (04-22-24), Tacoshawn (09-28-23)
Old 09-02-23, 10:42 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdel
I only have my Rx500h for 5 months and I have went to the dealer around 15 times already. There is loud noise coming from the roof. The gas petal makes a noise. The sound system goes out at least once a week and I can’t hear my music, navigation, radio, my warning alerts and even the ASC. I even took a video of nothing working and they didn’t have a fix for me. The car lost power 3 times while driving for a few seconds, but that few seconds could have cost me my life. The best part is Lexus said it doesn’t show anything wrong on their end so if I do get into an accident became of that reason, it’s all on me.I also added in a Lexus integrated camera and when the car loses the power, the camera doesn’t save the last 2 times of video. I could even show them that is happening. Also the car came with a few cosmetic defects, the cosmetic defect was the only things they have fixed so far. I would advise anyone that is looking at new models Lexus. Don’t do it. The older ones were build good. Now they just trying to get money. Ohh and the hybrid system when it switches from electric to gas on some days, it’s not a smooth change. You feel a jerk in the change. The headlight washers was stuck when I only had 400 miles on the car. The design of the car is very poor, if you like to drive with the front windows down, the car makes such a loud noise that you can’t. That is all that I can think of right now.
Sorry to hear about all the issues that you are having. In regards to the reverberation with the front windows down, this will happen with any SUV unless you also open an opposite rear window.
winpakbob (09-03-23)
Old 09-05-23, 08:59 AM
Benton2016
10th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish your wife best of luck with her chemo treatments. I am really sorry you have had issues with your RX500. I have had mine since July 22, 2023. I have 1,068 miles on it to-date. I have been slightly worried about the transmission but I have been pretty easy on the vehicle thus this far. However, I have encountered an issue with the vehicle not recognizing the keyfob is inside the vehicle. When I was at the dealership on Saturday, waiting for the garage door to open at 7:00 a.m., I was sitting with the car off. 7:00 a.m. the garage opened, Before I pressed the power button, I stepped on the brake which was rock hard, it displayed cannot sense the keyfob. I finally had to dig the keyfob out of my backpack, which was sitting in the front seat and place it right next to the power button. The gauges lit up and the vehicle was ready. Should I experience what you have experienced down the road, I hope Lexus will be as good to me as they have been to you. Good luck with your next one!!!
StockVictim (09-08-23)
Old 09-08-23, 01:44 PM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

9/8/2023 Update

Received a call from the Lexus Rep today. She outlined the entire return process, loan payoff requirements, etc. She also offered us, at no charge, the Lexus VIP Warranty that extends a Lexus warranty to 8 years/100,000 miles should we choose another Lexus. I told her that we already have and are awaiting its arrival. She was ecstatic and said we just send her the new sales contract after the purchase is actually made and she sends it to Lexus Corp for our coverage. Surrender and buyback of the vehicle is done by a third-party (Sedgewick), so we will await instructions from them.

The rep also said that a mechanical failure of this magnitude this early in the life of the vehicle is extremely rare and this process is very rarely needed.

So far, this process has been extremely straight forward and, although something no one wants to go through, hasn’t been as painful as it could have been with other car manufacturers.
Old 09-25-23, 11:27 AM
seattleike
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RX500 H 2500 miles. I have same sun roof issues. Multiple dealer visits. Also tranny vibration issues. Was repeatedly told by service advisors it was normal vibration for hybrids. I insisted on having it looked at by tech ($250 to me if they found nothing). Needs a new transmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by seattleike:
E46CT (09-25-23), Julius071 (09-25-23)
Old 09-25-23, 01:34 PM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by seattleike
RX500 H 2500 miles. I have same sun roof issues. Multiple dealer visits. Also tranny vibration issues. Was repeatedly told by service advisors it was normal vibration for hybrids. I insisted on having it looked at by tech ($250 to me if they found nothing). Needs a new transmission.
@seattleike what was their conclusion to a new transmission? Was it vibration in a rolling reverse?
Old 09-25-23, 01:39 PM
seattleike
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Julius071
@seattleike what was their conclusion to a new transmission? Was it vibration in a rolling reverse?
Coming off the break going very slow in reverse, but also going forward there was a weird vibration. Did it since day one. 3 times I was told it was normal. It wasn't until I had a RX500 H loaner (for headliner issue 2nd visit) that I really became convinced it was not normal. They told me it needs a new transmission which is backordered.

Quick Reply: Brand new RX500h went kaput