Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

Brand new RX500h went kaput

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-23, 05:55 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

Check out the car nut on you tube, he does review of Toyota Crown plt which is the same as rx500H. He speaks about the vibration that is torque plate.

The following users liked this post:
StockVictim (09-30-23)
Old 09-26-23, 04:01 AM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

from all i have seen and read that slight shutter at low speed or reverse is just a by product for the way the system operates in most of what we experience in later builds
Old 09-30-23, 12:54 PM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

9/30/23 Update

We picked up our new 2023 RX500h this past Wednesday. Fresh off the truck and after they added the tint to the windows (offered to me at dealer cost). It feels different in a good way. There is no vibration in reverse, acceleration is tight, (knock on wood) seems better all around. I accepted the buyback offer from Lexus where they gave back my two payments including interest, our down, and the amount financed (check being sent to credit union). Like I said earlier, Lexus also submitted our sales contract to Lexus Financial for our Lexus Platinum Warranty at no cost to us. The dealership held the car for us with no deposit required and offered about 5% off msrp. I am ok with it not being a 2024 since they raised the prices over $1k for exactly the same car, including grey now being a premium paint color in 24.

Lexus Corp has now handed the process to Sedgwick, which is the third party that handles all of the actual return process. When they contact us, we will meet them at the dealership and do the actual surrender of the previous car.

My wife and I have been really pleased with how both the dealership and Lexus have handled to whole situation. Very professional, very courteous, very accommodating. We even had the loaner car from the dealership the whole time this has been in progress. I held off naming the dealership until we received the new vehicle, but now I will. Lexus of Pleasanton. They have earned our business.

In terms of the software update, I am hoping that the new RX has had the torque limits lowered to what they are in the Grand Highlander so we don't deal with this again. I will post my last update when the actual surrender happens. I am detailing all of this so people can understand the process, whether it be for the 2023 RX500h or any other Lexus vehicle on this forum. Forums like these are very important to the community, allowing us to discuss, debate, offer advice, and share experiences so that we are all better at handling adverse (and hopefully very rare) situations like these. I hope people consider this information useful.
The following 6 users liked this post by StockVictim:
Crow1 (03-04-24), FastFord (09-30-23), GlennAudio (10-03-23), Julius071 (09-30-23), maverick9 (10-13-23), winpakbob (10-01-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-20-23, 09:59 PM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

10/20/23 Final Update

It's done. The original RX was transferred back to Lexus via an agent that met us at the dealership. She inspected the car, we signed paperwork, the dealership handed her the key (remember, it's still been in the possession of the dealership this whole time), she handed me a check for the money I paid out of pocket, and I verified today that the original loan has been paid off. Interesting note: I asked what is going to happen to the original. The agent said its going to auction. What????!!!! That thing better be labeled lemon on the sticker for the next buyer.

So far, the new 500h feels completely different than our original. It feels "right". No funny sounds, no vibrations, no quirks, nothing out of the ordinary. If I had this 500h as the reference, then I would have definitely known something was off with the first one. But you hear so many people being told by techs that this is the way hybrids behave or that is normal or other nonsense.

Anyway, I have been happy with the way Lexus handled things, the way the dealership handled things, and how we were able to work things out without attorneys involved. Lexus of Pleasanton even gave my wife a pink thermoflask bottle to signify their support for her through her breast cancer battle.

Till next time, thanks for reading this journey and I hope this helps someone in the future.
The following 6 users liked this post by StockVictim:
BCBrent (10-21-23), Carbuff2 (10-22-23), Derek305T (04-22-24), gnegnf (11-29-23), Julius071 (10-20-23), LatinLS430 (10-21-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-23, 07:56 AM
Steveg67
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Did they guve back all the payments you made towards the car too?
Old 10-21-23, 09:01 AM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Steveg67
Did they guve back all the payments you made towards the car too?
Yes, they did. It was in the check they gave me.
Old 10-21-23, 09:41 AM
Steveg67
Driver

Hmm i got less than my down payment back maybe because my issue was less severe idk
Old 10-21-23, 10:09 AM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Steveg67
Hmm i got less than my down payment back maybe because my issue was less severe idk
How many miles did you have on it? They do a calculation to determine a proration.

miles/120,000 = $ deducted from buyback

We only had 400 miles put on the car, so they waived the proration.
Old 10-21-23, 10:31 AM
Steveg67
Driver

I have 8000. Ive been carpooling as much as i can before i turn it in
Old 11-29-23, 11:14 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

7k miles on my 23 Rx500h today, and mine is in the shop again for the sixth time. Most visits a Rx has ever had that I've owned, and I've owned dozens (personally and professionally...former owner of a dealership). I too have the reverse shudder, had the sunroof noise (fixed now), and they have officially diagnosed that mine needs a new transmission due to the clunky shifting and hard shifting at low speeds, including a huge delay engaging while trying to enter onto traffic on a busy street/ramp from stop. 19mpg is the best I've gotten, except for one week when I put it in ECO mode all the time, turned off A/C and drove it VERY gingerly all over. With the stupid 12 gallon tank the terrible MPG is ridiculous. Not as advertised. I'm thinking about aborting the entire process and either pursuing a buyback or just ditching it for something else. The power, mpg and problems are not worth it for me, IMO. Even if a brand new Rx500h off the truck is offered, I'm not sure I want it again. I love the looks, tech and options this has and of course the value. Clearly they've had a lot of issues. In general I think the AWD, turbos, 4cyl and Hybrid systems have a lot going on, perhaps fighting with each other to engage at different times, making it quite a conundrum as an end user to enjoy. These posts have been very helpful. I am not sure what I'm going to do. Replacement tranny on backorder and doesn't come in (they say) till late January. I am just getting my second key due to the backorder as well. Deeply concerned about owning a vehicle with a transmission replacement in its service history. Thoughts on that? Never experienced this with ANY Lexus I've ever owned personally or professionally. They just are bulletproof IMO the best vehicles ever made. Period. This experience has really baffled me.
Old 11-29-23, 11:47 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Thoughts on that?
Do you think you'll ever be a satisfied owner? If it was me I'd get rid of the car life is too short to try and like something you don't.
Old 11-29-23, 12:11 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Perhaps. Like with any relationship you have to look at it as a marathon not a sprint. If this could fix it permanently and perhaps has something to do with my terrible mpg and fix two of my three biggest complaints (can't fix the gas tank size) then maybe so. I'm thinking torque converter or transmission ECU is affecting mpg perhaps. IDK.
Old 11-29-23, 12:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

New transmission plus software updates is what you're hoping for?
Old 11-29-23, 12:48 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

They ordered the transmission not sure what all comes with that package, and would assume the software updates would be included in it, so yes. If I decide to move forward with it. I have a message into the sales manager today. We'll see. Very nervous about even owning it on the other side of this due to having it on the permanent records that it had a faulty transmission.