Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

Brand new RX500h went kaput

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 08:27 PM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brand new RX500h went kaput

My wife and I just got a RX500h about 4 weeks ago, have about 475 miles on it. Today, she went to back it out and the dash went nuts with a BUNCH of errors

AWD System Malfunction, 2WD Mode Engaged, Visit Your Dealer
Hybrid System Malfunction, Visit Your Dealer
Output Power Decreased, Visit Your Dealer
Check Engine, Visit Your Dealer
System Malfunction, Visit Your Dealer (Safety Icons Showing)
Drive-Start Control Malfunction, Visit Your Dealer
Rear Collision Mitigation System Malfunction, Visit Your Dealer

When backing the car out, the car started shaking/vibrating.

Called the dealer (which was closing in 15 min), they sent a tow truck to drop off for the night, dealer will look at it in the morning. Extremely disappointing experience here. My parents have owned Lexus vehicles since 1992 and this is the first time I have seen any Lexus behave like this, especially with less than 500 miles.

Any one have any ideas what it could be or what would cause such a complete failure or multiple systems?
Old 07-25-23, 08:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Someone forgot to put oil in the engine? It's rare but happens or could be many other things. If I was in your shoes I would demand a new vehicle not one that has blown up and been repaired.
Old 07-25-23, 09:17 PM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

We checked the oil a few days ago, nice and clean and full
Old 07-26-23, 06:01 AM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i see quite a few issues reported on the 500h on various forums

o2 sensor and tranny valve body issues seem to keep popping up early on .

i get mine monday and have my fingers crossed.

these two seem to surface in the first few hundred miles.

it seems like with most cars all the lights go off when there are issues .

my subaru had every light on for every system …it was a butterfly valve on a manifold froze.

i am getting my 500h on monday and hope i don’t end up getting towed back

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-26-23 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-26-23, 06:57 PM
Hrtbrkr00
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm, that's worrisome. I am also having vibration issue with my RX 500h, but so far no CEL.

Please keep us updated @StockVictim, and I hope all will be well on your 500h!
The following users liked this post:
StockVictim (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23, 12:18 AM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

Update (7/26/23)

Dealership got their most experienced tech (the supervisor) to look at the car. They have never seen this type of failure in the hybrid system before and have called corporate to send someone out. I am livid. We have a NX as a loaner, but who knows how long they will have the car. I am going to the dealership tomorrow afternoon to drop in and discuss a exchange/buyback path forward because this is unacceptable.

Any suggestions on how to initiate this? Would appreciate some guidance. I know some will say I should let them attempt a repair, but to me, the car has been compromised.
The following 2 users liked this post by StockVictim:
Hrtbrkr00 (07-27-23), Surfwinky (12-06-23)
Old 07-27-23, 05:27 AM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

that sucks ..

mine is coming monday and i have my fingers crossed
StockVictim (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23, 06:34 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

Crazy. At first glance, it appears like your battery is bad. There is no way all these systems could actually have gone bad at the same moment, usually when something like this happens, the battery is weak/bad. But since the tech already looked at it, I imagine they ruled that out right away.

These AGM battery systems, all stink in my opinion. All this software controlled conditional charging to add maybe 0.1 mpg. Just the other day in my 350, I forgot to turn the auto start/stop button off. At the first light, a message pops up saying the engine couldn't be shutoff because the battery was charging. I had just driven the car 12 hours ago, the battery already needed to be topped up? Normally I drive with auto start/stop disabled.
joedaddy1 (08-05-23)
Old 07-27-23, 07:43 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 661 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Crazy. At first glance, it appears like your battery is bad. There is no way all these systems could actually have gone bad at the same moment, usually when something like this happens, the battery is weak/bad. But since the tech already looked at it, I imagine they ruled that out right away.

These AGM battery systems, all stink in my opinion. All this software controlled conditional charging to add maybe 0.1 mpg. Just the other day in my 350, I forgot to turn the auto start/stop button off. At the first light, a message pops up saying the engine couldn't be shutoff because the battery was charging. I had just driven the car 12 hours ago, the battery already needed to be topped up? Normally I drive with auto start/stop disabled.
I agree with you for most vehicles but transmission issues have done this on the 500h from what some have posted and it wasn't on the last one you suggested that as well, odd IMHO. Low battery voltage can do lots of crazy stuff on modern cars electronics.

Many manufacturers also use battery management systems for lead acid batteries as well as AGM. My Golf R has one and it came with a lead acid. When I replaced that with a AGM I reprogrammed the car so it knows it now it has an AGM battery since they like a higher voltage for optimum longevity.

Last edited by Urlik; 07-27-23 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-27-23, 01:07 PM
GoBlue97
10th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

We had a failure like this on a brand new Honda Pilot, on the second day we owned it. It seemed like every system shut down and we were driving on the highway when it happened. It turned out to be the alternator. It was replaced and the pilot was problem free for years. Not a good feeling at the time but it worked out fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoBlue97:
lexusnyca (07-27-23), StockVictim (07-27-23)
Old 07-28-23, 11:42 AM
RolfK
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBlue97
We had a failure like this on a brand new Honda Pilot, on the second day we owned it. It seemed like every system shut down and we were driving on the highway when it happened. It turned out to be the alternator. It was replaced and the pilot was problem free for years. Not a good feeling at the time but it worked out fine.
Our Honda pilot ( 2009 model, 170k miles ) over time has needed two alternators, a transmission rebuild ( followed by another rebuild ..) , flex plate replacement, power steering replacement and three tows. We hope and expect our 350h to be a lot more reliable and to cost us far less in maintenance. Will let you know in 10 years time how that panned out. In the meantime, we love our 350h and it has been flawless so far.
Old 07-28-23, 04:23 PM
StockVictim
Driver School Candidate

Update (7/28/23)

The dealership heard back from Lexus Corporate.They were directed to replace the transmission and the Transmission Control Module (TCM). The dealership has put in the order for all the parts and will notify us when they have shipped.

I dropped by the dealership yesterday and spoke to one of the sales managers. I planted the seed of buyback/exchange and that we may need to explore the process once Lexus has made an attempt to repair (required by California law). The SM said that they have the contacts at corporate to initiate the process should it get to that point.
Hrtbrkr00 (07-28-23)
Old 07-29-23, 02:06 PM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

9000 miles on my 500H and no mechanical/battery problems yet.

I had a sunroof issue that kept the car in the shop for a month tho.
StockVictim (07-30-23)
Old 07-29-23, 04:34 PM
Hrtbrkr00
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StockVictim
Update (7/28/23)

The dealership heard back from Lexus Corporate.They were directed to replace the transmission and the Transmission Control Module (TCM). The dealership has put in the order for all the parts and will notify us when they have shipped.

I dropped by the dealership yesterday and spoke to one of the sales managers. I planted the seed of buyback/exchange and that we may need to explore the process once Lexus has made an attempt to repair (required by California law). The SM said that they have the contacts at corporate to initiate the process should it get to that point.
Thanks for this update @StockVictim.

Edit: Never mind, misread the part that the transmission also needs to be replaced.

Last edited by Hrtbrkr00; 07-30-23 at 12:34 AM.
StockVictim (07-30-23)
Old 07-29-23, 06:19 PM
GoBlue97
10th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry this happened. This may fix it and you may never have further problems. We should be taking delivery of our rx350h premium+ tomorrow. We’ll see what happens.

Last edited by GoBlue97; 07-30-23 at 12:19 AM.
StockVictim (07-30-23)

Quick Reply: Brand new RX500h went kaput