Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

350h downshifts (almost 4k RPM) when taking foot off Accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-23, 06:59 PM
winpakbob
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts

Seems like totally normal behavior and nothing to worry about. Happens to my car too, not often and not predictable but also does not seem to be a problem. Surprised the techs are not better informed at the dealerships. I would guess that the control systems gurus at the dealerships know how this works and are not asked all the time by the mechanical techs when a customer "complaint" is registered with the service writer. I was never concerned but probably would have never found this excerpt from the manual. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
WellsB (12-20-23)
Old 12-21-23, 02:38 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by winpakbob
Seems like totally normal behavior and nothing to worry about. Happens to my car too, not often and not predictable but also does not seem to be a problem. Surprised the techs are not better informed at the dealerships. I would guess that the control systems gurus at the dealerships know how this works and are not asked all the time by the mechanical techs when a customer "complaint" is registered with the service writer. I was never concerned but probably would have never found this excerpt from the manual. Thanks.

The days where you run into an experienced Lexus tech are far and few between. Lexus dealerships, like everyone else, is struggling to find people to fulfill their service needs. Turnover is high and pay is low. Asking them questions I a crap shoot!
Old 12-21-23, 11:12 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 519 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by krashman3
I have not noticed it going much over, say going down the Vantage hill on I-90 in Washington State. It is about a 7% grade, I believe. Posted speed limit is 70. I don't think I have ever noticed that the car uses engine compression to slow down, unless there is cars in the adaptive cruise screen.
Just went over Tejon Pass in Southern California in our RX450h+. It was using engine braking on the 6% grade, but it was barely noticeable.
Old 12-21-23, 12:37 PM
CAS2265
10th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsB
Just went over Tejon Pass in Southern California in our RX450h+. It was using engine braking on the 6% grade, but it was barely noticeable.
Unfortunately, what I’m experiencing is not engine braking, and it is very noticeable.
Where I live, the roads are as very flat
I can be going 25 MPH on a smooth level surface with no one around and it will do it. It’s very scary when the engine continues to rev extremely high when you were coasting down to 5 mph. Love my car, but not the issue that I am experiencing. 😔
CCGS (12-21-23)
Old 12-24-23, 04:32 AM
NextLexus
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Predictive SOC control

Originally Posted by WellsB
It's not overcharging. It is preventing overcharging, and also preventing excess discharge. It's a relatively small battery in a relatively heavy vehicle. That means it will both discharge and charge fairly quickly. I imagine that driving style would play a part in it as well. Of course, something might actually be wrong with some vehicles, but unless we know what the vehicle is supposed to do under different conditions, it's a guess as to whether it's normal or not. I do wish there was a guide on what to expect in the manual.

I did find mention, in the manual, of predictive functions that could be causing perceived issues.
Thanks for finding out the relevant pages in the manual! In my case, when the high rev happened (long down hill slope) the Lexus navigation app was never in use. The predictive SOC control was probably not doing anything. In fact, I wondered driving with Lexus Nav on/active may help with the high rev issue. This is at least what the manual says (see highlighted section below). I will give it a try and report back later.

Old 12-24-23, 06:31 AM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 113 Likes on 65 Posts

It uses the Lexus navigation system to work this function? I've never subscribed to the Lexus navigation system. This could be why I've never experienced this phenomenon. Or, because there simply aren't any long downhills in my part of Texas?

Being used to a lifetime of manual transmission use, I frequently downshift (I know, it's an ECVT) the pretend gears to brake and charge. I never drop down more than 2 gears because a 3 gear drop just sounds too severe and stressful on the power train.

Last edited by Klamalama; 12-24-23 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-26-23, 05:15 PM
krashman3
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One big difference, is the Venza does not have a tachometer. Sorry folks. My bad. In the Cruise control , it does not use engine breaking. It actually uses the breaking system to slow down. Low speed, high speed, it doesn't matter. I couldn't get the car to use the engine for compression braking, unless I physically down shifted. I did not try down shifting at highway speed.
Old 12-27-23, 09:32 AM
Lexus-SSA
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the information from the manual. I have experienced all of the above but my navigation system has not been engaged.
I guess it comes down to two things. Slope and current battery level when the high rev behavior starts.
CCGS (12-27-23)
Old 06-24-24, 12:37 PM
asadani
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Engine Downshift Noise

Hi All, I have the 2024 Lexus RX350h. At times which is very often, the car feels like it is gone into the second gear and makes a loud downshift noise. I'm not sure why does that happen. I also have the ES350 2023 and that is so much more refined and no problems + smooth power when needed.
How can lexus make such a car which sounds so backwards.

If they would have the 6 cyl engine, then the car would be perfect.
Old 06-24-24, 05:22 PM
Rsnook
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue on 2024 rx350h. It seems to only do it when there is a vehicle in front of you or it sees some other object when foot is off accelerator
WellsB (06-24-24)
Old 07-03-24, 04:48 PM
kocator
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine RPM

I purchased a brand new RX350h 2023.

1. There was no problem for about a month or two after I picked up the car, but after that, the RPM suddenly increased, and a loud noise occurred. The engine RPM increases excessively acceleration. This is a phenomenon commonly observed in cheaper cars or very old vehicles. When I press the accelerator, the RPM easily exceeds 3000, and the engine produces a strained sound. This is quite different from the Audi I currently own. It is similar to the 10-year-old Hyundai SantaFe that I once had. However, after the scheduled visit and diagnosis, the tech manager said it's normal. How is this normal? But I am continuing to drive it because I don't have any choice. I still don't believe it's normal based on my last 40 years of driving experience with many different brands of cars. It's common sense. To notice this, no special skill or knowledge is needed. How about yours ?
Sure, here's the translation:

2. I was shocked when the foreman I was testing with said that Lexus is not a luxury line but just an entry line. Is it true that the Lexus brand is just the border between an ordinary car and a luxury line?
Old 07-03-24, 04:58 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 661 Likes on 448 Posts

Is this the first E-CVT hybrid you’ve ever owned?
WellsB (07-03-24)
Old 07-03-24, 05:01 PM
eyi526
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think this thread is related: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...lerator-3.html