Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Set the car to start in Auto HV/EV Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-23, 06:55 AM
drox
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Set the car to start in Auto HV/EV Mode?

The car (edit: NX450h+) always starts in EV mode but I prefer "Auto HV/EV" Mode.

The two modes are basically the same except in Auto the engine will kick in when I put my foot down. In EV mode it tries to stay in EV mode, which is fine most of the time... But I like the boost from the engine sometimes.

I couldn't find anything in the settings but maybe there is a way to change it through the OBD port or something?

Last edited by drox; 11-01-23 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Billst (09-25-23)
Old 09-20-23, 04:37 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 575 Likes on 406 Posts

The car is automatically set to auto and the computer will decide when to turn the engine on.

When you press the EV button it will try to drive in EV mode, if battery permits, but I have not been able to do that often.

The EV light on dash only indicates that the car is being moved using electric motors and not gas, but not your set mode.

IF you have it in Sport and HVAC is on, it might start in Gas
Old 09-20-23, 07:01 PM
drox
Driver

Do we have the same car? The car always starts in "EV Mode" as indicated by the light in the top right of the dash. There is a second light in the bottom left, it's a car with the letters "EV", which indicates that the car is currently driving in EV and the engine is off.

No matter how hard I press the accelerator pedal in EV Mode, the car will not turn the engine on. The EV Indicator stays on. The only times the engine has come on in EV mode is when I have gone over 135kmh, it's really cold, or the windshield defogger is turned on.

When I press "Auto EV/HV" near my shifter, it generally stays in EV but will kick the engine on when I demand power.
The following 3 users liked this post by drox:
Billst (09-25-23), lsft (09-26-23), neilsarkar (03-20-24)
Old 09-26-23, 03:39 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
The car is automatically set to auto and the computer will decide when to turn the engine on.

When you press the EV button it will try to drive in EV mode, if battery permits, but I have not been able to do that often.

The EV light on dash only indicates that the car is being moved using electric motors and not gas, but not your set mode.

IF you have it in Sport and HVAC is on, it might start in Gas
What you are talking about is the NX350h which does not have the Auto HV/EV setting and not the NX450h+ behaviour
neilsarkar (03-20-24)
Old 09-26-23, 03:41 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by drox
Do we have the same car? The car always starts in "EV Mode" as indicated by the light in the top right of the dash. There is a second light in the bottom left, it's a car with the letters "EV", which indicates that the car is currently driving in EV and the engine is off.

No matter how hard I press the accelerator pedal in EV Mode, the car will not turn the engine on. The EV Indicator stays on. The only times the engine has come on in EV mode is when I have gone over 135kmh, it's really cold, or the windshield defogger is turned on.

When I press "Auto EV/HV" near my shifter, it generally stays in EV but will kick the engine on when I demand power.
I have done 136 and the HV did not turn on... I think it's just an approx km when the gas engine turns on. I have seen cases where the engine will turn on even under 135km/hr when I go uphill and demand power.. it will turn on the engine.

Recently I have notice the engine turned on for short time. Possible it's cycling through the gasoline and engine oil.
Old 09-27-23, 05:18 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 575 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
What you are talking about is the NX350h which does not have the Auto HV/EV setting and not the NX450h+ behaviour
Correct. I did not realize the question was for a NX 450h+
Old 11-01-23, 11:42 AM
Yandawg
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drox
The car always starts in EV mode but I prefer "Auto HV/EV" Mode.

The two modes are basically the same except in Auto the engine will kick in when I put my foot down. In EV mode it tries to stay in EV mode, which is fine most of the time... But I like the boost from the engine sometimes.

I couldn't find anything in the settings but maybe there is a way to change it through the OBD port or something?

Did you ever find out how to start in Auto HV/EV mode?
Thanks!

Last edited by Yandawg; 11-01-23 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-01-23, 06:28 PM
drox
Driver

Nope... Just got in the habit of pressing the button.
Yandawg (11-01-23)