Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 03:39 PM
mtmd
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Brake Noises. Is this the new normal for Lexus?

I have a 2020 RX450H F-Sport. The brake makes a weird noise (please listen to the attached video) when I press the pedal. I took the car to the Lexus dealership, and I was told this was normal. Do you guys have the same experience with your brakes? Is this the new normal for Lexus?

Link to the video capturing the noise:

Last edited by mtmd; 09-22-23 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-02-23, 02:33 AM
msnow
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mtmd
I have a 2020 RX450H F-Sport. The brake makes a weird noise (please listen to the attached video) when I press the pedal. I took the car to the Lexus dealership in Sacramento, and I was told this was normal. Do you guys have the same experience with your brakes? Is this the new normal for Lexus?

Link to the video capturing the noise: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HU2d_n8kcaw
I don't have that noise with my 2022 RX450hL (not an F-Sport). Doesn't sound right to me.
Old 09-02-23, 04:53 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts

Read other threads below on brake actuator issues. Brake squawk issues happen on the hybrids.. There are TSBs on it, but they do not always help.
Old 09-22-23, 09:42 AM
Verndog08
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Not normal on my 2017. No noise. BS reply by dealer not wanting to deal with it. ASk him to "lets go see another RX if it does this because other owners tell me they do not have this noise.
Old 10-02-23, 01:00 PM
vale
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue here with my RX 450 H f sport 2017

Originally Posted by mtmd
I have a 2020 RX450H F-Sport. The brake makes a weird noise (please listen to the attached video) when I press the pedal. I took the car to the Lexus dealership, and I was told this was normal. Do you guys have the same experience with your brakes? Is this the new normal for Lexus?

Link to the video capturing the noise: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HU2d_n8kcaw
Hi There,

I have exactly same issue with my 2017 RX450H F-Sport , this noise comes for a couple of days and then it's gone, and then again its back. Also I can feel a small vibration from the pedal when i press it and it makes sound. Did u get any solution on that?

The noise comes from the ABS Actuator, i opened the hood and checked myself its those tubes inside liquid that makes it vibration as well. what do you guys think might cause thouse strange noises?

Old 10-10-23, 06:59 PM
jiaqian
4th Gear

Default Brake Problems

My RX450h (2018) recently started making noises when braking heavily. The Lexus dealer diagnosed the noise as coming from brake actuator assembly parts. The dealer told me that it would not affect normal driving, but I still value the importance of braking in safe driving. I have seen a lot of such situations online. I wonder if Lexus will recard these vehicles? Does anyone have any experience or suggestions in this regard? Thanks.
Old 10-11-23, 07:59 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by jiaqian
My RX450h (2018) recently started making noises when braking heavily. The Lexus dealer diagnosed the noise as coming from brake actuator assembly parts. The dealer told me that it would not affect normal driving, but I still value the importance of braking in safe driving. I have seen a lot of such situations online. I wonder if Lexus will recard these vehicles? Does anyone have any experience or suggestions in this regard? Thanks.
What kind of noises? Squeaking, clunking, clicking, pulsing? What's the mileage on the car and the brakes?
Old 10-13-23, 05:15 AM
golferjack
Advanced

There are many threads related to brake noise. Try reading through them as there is no complete answer to the issue, because sometimes a new actuator is not a solution.
Old 10-15-23, 01:23 PM
Razor2022
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jiaqian
I've had this noise, which I first thought was suspension related for a few months now. I took it in a cpl of weeks ago and the shop didn't hear a thing, they told me to bring it back. So Friday I went in and the tech came with me for a road trip. He actually heard the noise and told the advisor. They booked me in for warranty work and will be replacing the actuator. The noise happens quite often and under normal braking, even when my foot just taps the brake. My RX just has over 14k on it.
Old 10-16-23, 05:46 AM
golferjack
Advanced

I hope the fix works for you, as others have had the work done and the noise came back.
The following users liked this post:
Razor2022 (10-16-23)
Old 10-16-23, 09:56 AM
Razor2022
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
I hope the fix works for you, as others have had the work done and the noise came back.
Thx golferjack, fingers crossed. Will follow up.

Last edited by Razor2022; 10-16-23 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-16-23, 07:18 PM
jiaqian
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jcg0324
What kind of noises? Squeaking, clunking, clicking, pulsing? What's the mileage on the car and the brakes?
Hi jcg0324,
Thank you for your attention. The noise was like a single clunking noise, liks a gurgling sound. The sound seemed to come from the surrounding area near the brake pedal. Even when the car is parked and the engine is turned off, there is a noise when the brake pedal is pressed hard. The noise when parking is the same as the noise when the car is braked hard while the car is running. The mileage of the car is 55,000 miles. The brakes have never been replaced.
Many thanks for any sujestions.

Old 10-17-23, 05:21 AM
golferjack
Advanced

It is probably the actuator. Hybrids do not have a normal reserve of air, so when you get in your car it will charge the systems air supply and when you turn off the car it discharges the system. When my RX was going through it troubles, I could especially hear the air being released. My wifes RAV begins the charging as soon as the drivers door is opened. The sound is normal and it is just getting the car ready to drive.
My RX one day just decided to not make the squawking noise for about a year now. I have a self healing car. In my case I was able to relate the noise to altitude and temp, which made me believe it had something to do with air in the actuator. I do not know if the air is gone now, but the sound has gone away.
Old 10-17-23, 02:15 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
There are many threads related to brake noise. Try reading through them as there is no complete answer to the issue, because sometimes a new actuator is not a solution.
I agreed. New actuator replaced under warranty. The squeaking noise came back a few months later.
RX450h 2018.
Old 10-17-23, 05:41 PM
jiaqian
4th Gear

Many thanks golferjack,
I will pay close attention to the change of this noise and driving carefully. Indeed, the noise was detected two months ago, and it was loud at first. the car was sent to the dealer of Lexus for inspection. They tald me that the noise comes from the Actuator and recommend rme eplace it. Also they suggest me: “You could try and perform a brake fluid flush that is considerably less and could/would help lessen the sound (please note it is not a permanent fix) ". I didn't do any maintenance or replace it. Now the noise is gradually abating. I hope it heals like your car. Do you think it's a good idea to try brake fluid flush?
Thank you again for your time and advice.

Quick Reply: Brake Problems