Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Need a little bit of help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-23, 08:17 AM
koreywill
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Need a little bit of help

Hello! I've been lurking on this particular forum for a short while but I've been on the ES side a long time.
I'm considering purchasing a 2012 RX450h. I've been searching all the "vehicle for sale" sites but have not yet found one near me. My wife and I like to travel every now and then and our 2003 ES300 has plenty of trunk space so everything we need fits very nicely inside it.
I know the dimensions of the ES's trunk measure out at 5'3 (63") wide, 1'9" (21") high, and 3'3" (39") deep. Does anyone have the dimensions of the RX space behind the 2nd row seats? I think that there may be a cover that can be pulled back from the 2nd row seats toward the tailgate on the RX so the height would be below that cover. The only dimension I've found is "40 cubic feet cargo area" but I've not yet found W+H+D.
Can anyone help me out?
Old 10-19-23, 01:22 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Few things about the hybrid ..

The space between first and 2nd seat passenger feet area is ONLY for legs and you can not stuff it with objects. That space is needed for air flow for the high voltage battery.
I know you did not ask that question but you should be aware that you can not place objects there.

Back to your question ... the volume specification does not help as we carry objects. There is rear wheel intrusion in the back. So a rectangular flat bottom object that you want to rest on the back flat needs to smaller than 45" x31"x14.5 " .. this is with the rear seat set in rear passenger mode. This is the max rectangular box that you can carry with lot of wasted space. If you fold the seats the bottom is not flat any more and 31" dimension extends a whole lot. The 14.5" dimension changes a whole lot as you measure from the back moving forward. The rear-hatch has a slope.

The W,H & D change as you move in each dimension.

If you have a specific object of certain dimensions, please post. I can assure you that you will have a larger volume capacity inside RX vs ES without even taking out a measuring tape.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 10-19-23 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-20-23, 09:59 AM
koreywill
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Salim! Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. I am aware of the vents at the base of the 2nd row seats but thanks for the reminder not to block those.
As far as dimensions of the trunk go, you told me exactly what I needed to know. Like the RX, the dimensions of space available in the ES change depending upon where you measure. But you gave me max space which is good. I'm not looking for space for the largest single item that I can put into the cargo area but rather, generally, how much space is available for suitcases, bags, clothing bag, etc with the 2nd row seats in the up position. Like the ES it seems there are small areas for small bags to be tucked into and larger areas for the suitcases. The only negative I see is that all of the dimensions are less than the EX but I've been traveling for many years (I'm 71y/o) and have gotten pretty good at utilizing any and every space available in the cargo area.
Again, thanks. I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions if I do acquire an RX and I hope you and others will help me along.
Old 10-21-23, 08:22 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

just keep in mind that if you break up items you get to utilize the space lot more, The back seats have a slant so the bottom piece can slide back. So do not make your choice on the max rectangular dimensions I gave you. You can not beat the available trunk/hatch space in the RX as compared to ES.

Consider the opening size and the convenience of the height of the bottom. Putting things in the trunk of ES and lifting them out puts a strain on the back.

Also weigh out the advantages of hybrid vs non-hybrid.

Salim