Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

2024 RX 450h+ Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 09:38 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

Just passed 9,000 miles in our RX450h+ while on a 700 mile trip to Sequoia National Park and back. Got 39 mpg(while using about 2/3rd of a single charge). This vehicle is amazing on trips. Lifetime gasoline fuel economy is at 34.4 mpg, and at 40mpg including EV usage.
The following 2 users liked this post by WellsB:
Dhill (03-14-24), StefanoS (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 11:16 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

CONS

1. Puddle light - this wasn't on sticker, so I guess I got a freebie. Gimmicky.
I believe that the puddle lights are standard. The optional ones, which have the LEXUS hologram would appear on the Monroney sticker.
These are designed to inform people what brand of car they're driving, in the event that they have forgotten

4. ML audio - ok so far, but I don't listen to music much (just books on tape), and it's $1.5 k!
The quality is far better than the standard audio, which we have that one in my wife's NX450h+. The ML in the RX is grossly over priced however, with weak bass, as well.

Last edited by StefanoS; 03-14-24 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
deaded (07-02-24)
Old 03-14-24, 11:31 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
CONS

1. Puddle light - this wasn't on sticker, so I guess I got a freebie. Gimmicky.
I believe that the puddle lights are standard. The optional ones, which have the LEXUS hologram would appear on the Monroney sticker.
These are designed to inform people what brand of car they're driving, in the event that they have forgotten

4. ML audio - ok so far, but I don't listen to music much (just books on tape), and it's $1.5 k!
The quality is far better than the standard audio, which we have in my wife's NX450h+. Grossly over priced however, and weak bass, as well.
Yeah, I got the LEXUS hologram on it. The dealer added its name below the LEXUS sign, so I guess that was why I got the freebie.

More:

PRO

1. exterior door handles that light up when you go close. I like it, useful probably at night.
2. digital rear mirror - i like it, very clear, although it takes some time getting used to..i am starting to feel cross eyed
3. app - useful...it warns me if we forget windows or doors. Haven't tried remote park yet, but remote lock and all works.
4. Panoramic sunroof - I like it, though the wife doesn't seem to care. I would want to open that to give an airy feeling when no direct sun. Our interior is macadamia/bamboo, so it's already very bright inside. Have the solar panel and moonroof in Prius, but we seldom used the moonroof, which is why she was so-so on it.

CON

1. No spare tire

PRO/CON?

1. The kick opener in back - I have to admit I use it a lot, but not sure whether it's worth it since I could just as easily use my hand or the fob.

So far, the pros are winning.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-14-24 at 11:40 AM.
deaded (07-02-24)
Old 03-14-24, 02:59 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by asj2024
Yeah, I got the LEXUS hologram on it. The dealer added its name below the LEXUS sign, so I guess that was why I got the freebie.
Now that's funny. I've not heard of any dealers doing that but, I suppose that they can have some custom ones created to steer more business in their direction. It's kinda like the dealer named plastic license plate frames that they put on new cars with the temporary plates. I wasn't home for more than five minutes after picking up the new Lexi and removed both of those frames and into the trash can they went.
Old 03-14-24, 03:53 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Now that's funny. I've not heard of any dealers doing that but, I suppose that they can have some custom ones created to steer more business in their direction. It's kinda like the dealer named plastic license plate frames that they put on new cars with the temporary plates. I wasn't home for more than five minutes after picking up the new Lexi and removed both of those frames and into the trash can they went.
My Prius had the plastic license frame with the dealer name on it, AND still has a stickie next to the Prius badge on the rear. Not sure why I kept it there, but I'm actually glad I did. Kinda brings back nostalgic memories of when we bought the car 14 years ago. I had rented a gen 2 in California a few months earlier, and when I got back home I decided my new car would be the new 3rd gen. It outlasted all our older cars (Mercedes CLK, Nissan Maxima, Rav4, etc), which we sold off during the years that followed.
Old 03-23-24, 06:11 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by WellsB
found that the battery stops charging at 90% state of charge(this shows as 100% in the Lexus app) and ran down to 13.33% SOC before starting the engine. I believe it stays within those limits to protect the battery lifespan, to provide for hybrid-operations at those extremes, and to ensure the engine will start.(on the low end) It then charged back up to 14.5% fairly quickly and stayed around that level for the rest of the steady highway speeds. When I exited the highway, it regened up to 15.3% and was still there when I parked..
I actually thought it kept SOC below 80%, so I was slightly surprised when I checked it after charging to "100%" and found out actual SOC was 91%.

I'll confirm the lower value later.

I also have not tried to check out life expectancy of the battery as I figure that should still be good.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-23-24 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-23-24, 06:18 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

The system does pull the charge down to 80% when driving in HV mode, and then will let it stay around there. It's been a while since I've done it, but I believe that Charge Mode will only charge it to 80% as well or maybe a bit lower if it isn't 80%.
asj2024 (03-24-24)
Old 03-23-24, 10:52 PM
chanpai
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Topdon appears to be a good unit, especially at that price level. The 16 foot cord would be a bit too short for my needs but, I see that they have one with a 25 foot cord for $46 more. Still, at $246, it's a good buy. I finally caved and bought a level 2 charger. When it showed up, it was DOA. Assuming that it was a fluke, I ordered another one, which was also a dud. The company has only an email address for tech support and no phone number. When they responded, they wanted me to ship their unit directly to them and they would send me a working replacement. Thinking that this was not a good idea, I returned both to Amazon. I opted for an Emporia charger, which has a good rep. So far, it has worked well but, is very similar to the Topdon unit. My only regret is that I didn't find that one before. Nice choice, Wrinkle!
The two dud units that I bought: https://www.amazon.com/RhEVchar-Char...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
The Emporia unit: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=emporia+e...s_ts-doa-p_1_7
So are you still using the Level 1.5 charging method? Or completely turned to Level 2?
Old 03-24-24, 08:26 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chanpai
So are you still using the Level 1.5 charging method? Or completely turned to Level 2?
On occasion I still use one of them, if I am charging two cars at the same time. I did finally cave and I bought the Emporia charger from Amazon, as it has very good ratings. So far, no issues, and it charges in 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-25-24, 01:21 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Third pros and cons

Pros

1. Recharging via plug - easy to do after reading manual. Auto Locking of charging connector a good idea. Long connector, more than enough to reach.

2. Grocery bag hooks in rear - great idea. Need more lol

3. Automatic windshield wipers - works like a charm, no need for me to manually switch wipers on and off.

4 Seamless transition between ICE and EV - I don't even notice it. Same as Prius, although the quieter RX hides move to ICE even better.

5. Easily adjustable seats and steering wheel - any position you want almost, all using electronic adjustment

6. Fuel usage on HV - got weirdly high 57.7 mpg (24.5 km/l) on one trip.

7. Panoramic view - makes backing out a breeze

8. Gorgeous exterior design. Not boxy looking like many CUVs or SUVs

9. Remote start/stop - this could prove useful if leaving car for long periods of time.

10. Center storage that open on two side. We got used to the one in the Prius that open from front. but this is ok too and is probably more ergonomic.

CONS

1. New car jitters - having to park far away from other cars for fear of being hit by cars parking around it. Parking it inside garage all the time.

2. Twelve volt battery drain? Have not had problems though, including leaving it for 5 days without use. No 12 V battery indicator.

3. Turn by turn on HUD does not work with Android Google maps. Have to use Lexus navigation.

4. Heavy solid doors harder to close for wife.

5. After switching to Android auto on touchscreen, was not easy to figure out how to switch back to Lexus screen. This should be an easy button accessible at all times on touchscreen, not buried in layers.

I was debating whether to add "no fast charging" as a con, but in the end the negatives of adding that (more weight? complexity?) and the fact the RX450h+ is a hybrid and can get along well with gas made me decide not to add it in.

Pros still winning by a wide margin.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-25-24 at 05:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by asj2024:
deaded (07-02-24), StefanoS (03-25-24)
Old 03-25-24, 10:24 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

7. Panoramic view - makes backing out a breeze

I definitely could use this feature on my 2016 Sequoia, which now feels much like driving an M1 Abrams tank. Getting in and out of places would be a bit easier if I could see all four corners.
Old 04-18-24, 01:40 PM
charles267
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
I actually thought it kept SOC below 80%, so I was slightly surprised when I checked it after charging to "100%" and found out actual SOC was 91%.

I'll confirm the lower value later.

I also have not tried to check out life expectancy of the battery as I figure that should still be good.

I was really happy to read your results. This is exactly the approach that I was hoping for since this preserves the battery's longevity. Also, power is always reserved for HV mode. A main reason for this approach is for AWD: the rear wheels are exclusively powered by the electric motor (and thus the battery).
Old 04-19-24, 01:36 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by charles267
I was really happy to read your results. This is exactly the approach that I was hoping for since this preserves the battery's longevity. Also, power is always reserved for HV mode. A main reason for this approach is for AWD: the rear wheels are exclusively powered by the electric motor (and thus the battery).
I believe Toyota does that for all its hybrid batteries. They don't actually allow overcharging and prevent soc from going below a certain percent too.
Old 04-20-24, 02:19 AM
asj2024
Advanced

It's been almost 2 months now since I got the RX450h+, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The PHEV is a fascinating and complex piece of machinery that allows me to balance environmental friendliness with my own personal happiness,convenience and freedom. The vast majority of days I use it only on EV mode, but for longer trips I depend on the HV.

I have used up one tank of gas in that 2 month period (55 liter tank, approx 14.5 gal)

Last edited by asj2024; 04-20-24 at 05:16 AM.
StefanoS (04-21-24)
Old 06-02-24, 10:14 AM
GHN1013
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JSAM
Great, thanks alot! My sale rep told me it goes down to 246 hp when battery is out
That is correct. Even though there are reserves battery power at “0%” charge, this reserve is not used for HP. When your car switches to Hybrid Mode, you only have 246HP on tap. The 306HP is combined HP with the electric motors.

Quick Reply: 2024 RX 450h+ Initial Impressions