Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

2024 RX 450h+ Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-24 | 10:48 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GHN1013
How is the graph not relevant to the question at hand? If you see the power dropping when the Battery Traction Motor reaches its useable EV miles limit (aka 30%), that specifically answers your question. You didn’t ask how much it dropped but rather if you would get the same power above and below 30%.. and the answer is NO, you don’t have the same power when the Battery Traction Motor is depleted.
Excerpt from the explanation of the graph:
"The car has a value it calls "WOUT Control Limit Power" and "WIN Control Limit Power" i.e. HV battery wattage out/in limit... I have confirmed that the wattage out of the battery does not exceed this limit. The limits are variable depending mostly on SoC; but, they also fluctuate with battery temperature. (In mild temps, the changes are negligible; but, in extremes... IDK.)"

The values are electrical power measured in wattage in/out of the traction battery, as directly explained above in the excerpt. Our question was about the power measurable at the wheels in horsepower, with a dynamometer - with a complex drive-train connecting the traction battery to the wheels. Electrical power in wattage at the traction battery is not directly equivalent to horsepower at the wheels.

And besides, the question here is whether, in HV mode (manually set), with traction battery at 100 % - what is the horsepower at the wheels measured by a dyno? If the wheels, which are directly driven by electric motors (and not any mechanical transmission such as in ICE), can draw the maximum current from the fully charged 18 kW battery, it would appear to me that the full 304 HP may be fully available so long as one doesn't deplete the traction battery much. Only if that is true, would the 304 HP claim by Lexus be legit from a regulatory standpoint.
Old 06-02-24 | 11:32 PM
GHN1013
Driver

Originally Posted by wrinkle
Excerpt from the explanation of the graph:
"The car has a value it calls "WOUT Control Limit Power" and "WIN Control Limit Power" i.e. HV battery wattage out/in limit... I have confirmed that the wattage out of the battery does not exceed this limit. The limits are variable depending mostly on SoC; but, they also fluctuate with battery temperature. (In mild temps, the changes are negligible; but, in extremes... IDK.)"

The values are electrical power measured in wattage in/out of the traction battery, as directly explained above in the excerpt. Our question was about the power measurable at the wheels in horsepower, with a dynamometer - with a complex drive-train connecting the traction battery to the wheels. Electrical power in wattage at the traction battery is not directly equivalent to horsepower at the wheels.

And besides, the question here is whether, in HV mode (manually set), with traction battery at 100 % - what is the horsepower at the wheels measured by a dyno? If the wheels, which are directly driven by electric motors (and not any mechanical transmission such as in ICE), can draw the maximum current from the fully charged 18 kW battery, it would appear to me that the full 304 HP may be fully available so long as one doesn't deplete the traction battery much. Only if that is true, would the 304 HP claim by Lexus be legit from a regulatory standpoint.
Now you’re just changing your focus bc you’re being obtuse. Your bottom line question wasn’t the exact HP at the wheels as measure by a dyno. Come on. It was if there was a power difference when the Battery Traction Motor was depleted below the useable 30% threshold. And the answer is yes. If you don’t believe me, go ahead and ask every Toyota Certified technician if there is a power difference to the wheels when the Battery Traction Motor is depleted.

If you want to find the answers as to the exact HP and the contribution of the plug-in+hybrid engine (Gas Engine, vs MG1 vs MG2) at the wheels then that’s a bit more complicated. As other have indicated, the total combined output of the Plugin-hybrid powertrain is not as simple as just adding up all the numbers. GL.
Old 06-03-24 | 12:15 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GHN1013
Now you’re just changing your focus bc you’re being obtuse.
I'm not changing my focus. You may have a different focus. And I didn't ask you, specifically, any question.
The following users liked this post:
CCGS (08-24-24)
Old 08-24-24 | 08:20 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Default New today RX450h+ load road noise

Traded in my 2023 RX350h Luxury (CDN) for a RX450h+, I was pretty happy until I drove it home on the highway, the road noise seems quite loud, it has the Bridgestone Alenza tires. I purchased the RX from a dealership smack in the middle of downtown Vancouver so getting to the highway was going to be a chore. Based upon the reviews it did not seem to be important to drive the highway as I recall a quiet cabin was the general theme of the reviews I read or watched.. Anyone else have this observation? Many thanks for any insight.
Old 08-24-24 | 08:39 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CCGS
Traded in my 2023 RX350h Luxury (CDN) for a RX450h+, I was pretty happy until I drove it home on the highway, the road noise seems quite loud, it has the Bridgestone Alenza tires. I purchased the RX from a dealership smack in the middle of downtown Vancouver so getting to the highway was going to be a chore. Based upon the reviews it did not seem to be important to drive the highway as I recall a quiet cabin was the general theme of the reviews I read or watched.. Anyone else have this observation? Many thanks for any insight.
I have not driven on Canadian roads much (only at Montreal long time ago), but I have observed that road/tire noise is very dependent on the kind of pavement. If its concrete pavement it can be bad, and asphalt is very quiet (you do hear wind-noise some). I too have the Bridgestone Alenza - and if you read its reviews on Tirerack, almost every other kind of car owner complains its a very loud and harsh. I think Lexus has tried the best to deaden the noise, but the tire is quite bad. I'm looking forward to Michelin Crossclimate 2 to be released, but if I had to change today, I would get the Yokohama that is already shipping.
Old 08-24-24 | 08:56 PM
GHN1013
Driver

Are you sure it’s road noise from the tires or are you hearing the CVT transmission in high rev? Coming from 2022 RX 350 V6, I had a similar shocking experience on my first drive home on freeway with my new 450H+ bc if the CVT. I tried accelerating at 70mph and engine revved super high 7k and barely moved. Sounded like engine was going explode compared to the buttery smooth V6 I was used to.
Old 08-24-24 | 09:00 PM
WellsB
Advanced

It's the quietest vehicle I've ever driven.
StefanoS (08-26-24)
Old 08-24-24 | 10:05 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

I see the point you are making the kind of pavement and fully agree, and as far as the concrete pavement goes I did a road trip this summer in the RX350h in WA and it was very loud. Horrible material for a highway. Perhaps its cheaper? I am basing my experience on traveling the same highway I always travel on with my previous RX350h. It was a much quieter ride, but perhaps the new tires need to break in a bit or I have one or more defective tire? I have also seen a few complaints about this tire in other forums but there seems to be more reply's that say the tires are great and no excess noise so perhaps a quality control issue?...hmmm. I will give the tires a couple of weeks see if the noise abates. Thank you for your reply.
Old 08-24-24 | 10:11 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Yes it defiantly sounds like road noise, I have the RX set in economy mode and mostly drive like an old person so I can get the best gas mpg I can lol. The odd time I accelerate heavily I hear the engine rev's but that is not the ongoing highway noise. Thank you for your reply
wrinkle (08-24-24)
Old 08-24-24 | 10:13 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

FWIW, some folks have mentioned tire rotations increase their road noise. I didn't think much about it, but at my recent 5K mile service, I forgot to decline tire rotation - and it does feel like tire noise has increased a bit after the 5K mile service. I can't say that objectively, as I haven't measured/compared the noise, but it sure feels like the tire noise has risen.

I asked a question in the other thread about anyone with 15 K or so miles, as to how many miles this tire will last - either no one answered, or the mod-gods probably deleted that post/question.
Old 08-24-24 | 10:32 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Thanks for the follow up, I am of course hopefully it may be as simple as a break in period. I do understand that in general run flat tires make more noise but the first drive home was quite loud and it was alarming after just purchasing my dream version of the RX and a very pricey one at that. Cheers.
Old 08-24-24 | 10:51 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Thanks for the follow up, I am of course hopefully it may be as simple as a break in period. I do understand that in general run flat tires make more noise but the first drive home was quite loud and it was alarming after just purchasing my dream version of the RX and a very pricey one at that. Cheers.
Its not run-flat, at least not in US, for the RX450H+.
Old 08-25-24 | 07:33 AM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Thanks, I assumed because there was no spare it was a run flat tire. Cheers.
Old 08-25-24 | 03:35 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Thanks, I assumed because there was no spare it was a run flat tire. Cheers.
No, they just give you a container of tire sealant and a tire inflator. I keep tire plugs as well.
Old 08-25-24 | 05:02 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Thanks, I verified the kit.

Quick Reply: 2024 RX 450h+ Initial Impressions