Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

In the market to getting back into a 450h but the "one" has a dirty Carfax. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 11:05 PM
Cwiok71
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default In the market to getting back into a 450h but the "one" has a dirty Carfax. Thoughts?

Hello all, looking to get back into a 450h as I had a 2007 with all the bells and whistles and absolutely miss the car.

I am in the market for a 2013+ but the features that are a must haves are Radar cruise control, ML sound and white or silver color

I have noticed that all I have seen for sale seem to have ML sound but the radar cruise has been hard to find

I am located on the Central Coast in California and just missed out on a White 14 with Radar, LKA, ML and it had the luxury package with rear controls in the rear arm rest. The car was in LA and could of saw it in person but but the dealer never replied to me reaching out through their dealer website and someone snagged it up when I got around to callingthem directly.

There is a white 450h in Texas that has all my requirements but it has 2 dings on Carfax. Being that its in Texas I probably wont be able to see it in person if I wanted to move forward in purchasing it.

What are you thoughts/opinions on buying a car sight unseen with the Carfax dings? I did reach out to the dealer before checking the Carfax and when they reached out to me I gave them a hard "no thanks"
After not being able to find any other 450h's with the features I want should I reconsider the "dirty" one in Texas? Anybody happen to know any history on the one that available there? Its on a popular car finding site at an Audi dealer.

I can hold out for a few more months but Id like to pull the trigger on one before the holidays because I will be doing some traveling with family and would like something bigger for them

I appreciate all the suggestions and opinions here
Thanks, J

My old 450h
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (10-29-23)
Old 10-24-23, 05:08 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Personally I woudn't buy any 10 year old car without seeing/driving it first, regardless of any dings reported on Carfax, but I appreciate that's not always practical or possible.

So, with that said, assuming the price was right, I wouldn't be put off by a couple of dings, it's partly to be expected over a period of 10 years. A lot would therefore depend on what the "dings" actually were, and how well they were repaired. I'm not familiar with Carfax but, for things to show up on a similar report in the UK, it would mean that the damage was reported to the insurance company, so likely to have been repaired professionally, rather than just patched up by the owner, so if it's the same there then that's a positive.

Other than that, things I'd be looking for would be service history and receipts to show that whatever needed replacing was done to schedule. I also assume that any electrical or mechanical issues that show up after purchase would be covered by the dealer initially. That being case, my other main concern would be cosmetics so, apart from plenty of pictures of the bodywork and interior, I'd also want pictures of the wheel arches and underside, to see what condition they're in, and what level of corrosion there might be beyond expected surface stuff.

I'm sure others, especially those with experience of remote buying, will come along wiith other things, so that's just what I can think of off the top off my head. Other than that, don't rush in if you have any doubts, just because you'd like a car before the holidays, and good luck with whatever you decide.
Im2bz2p345 (10-29-23)
Old 10-26-23, 03:39 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I was in the same boat as the OP. Looking for a perfect 450h with those options were a mix of impossible and unlikely, esp. Radar Cruise and LKA. You might be able to find ML and maybe even the Lux package (although that's tough too), but RR was impossible. Finally after 6 months of searching, one came up in SoCal... I called, it was already pretty much sold (getting a PPI done at Lexus paid by a buyer in FL!). I gave the dealer my number anyway but wasn't expecting much. PPI came back clean, full service history (like crazy history, even for wiper blades), so I was even more bummed I missed out by maybe a few hours.

Turns out, the buyer needed to arrange financing and wasn't willing to put a non-ref deposit down... dealer called me, said since it's TBD, I could test drive it. Drove up... loved it, told him I wasn't going to argue with the price... offered cash and the dealer agreed. AS I was literally signing the docs... the FL buyer called, but the deal was done. Don't bother negotiating... these cars that are mint/maintained and with those options are being scooped up by buyers in the know.... still today, I'm seeing good examples getting sold in hours.

That said, I agree that with a 10 yo car, I wouldn't buy it without driving it. I lucked out to find a fully loaded one (PS. I HATE HUD and prefer LKA vs. Nightvision so this one was perfect for me). The 550-600 MILES per tank, 36-38 mpg and 29-32 city is incredible. Coupled with the power and adj. suspension. It's like having a lux cruiser and a canyon carver in one.

Patience is key and also open up your color choices. I wanted White or Silver too... but then this slate blue came up and it's gorgeous. I thought I'd just Vinyl wrap it, but I'm really into the color.

Last edited by lockedlex; 10-26-23 at 03:46 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by lockedlex:
bclexus (10-26-23), BillUK (10-30-23), Im2bz2p345 (10-29-23), paulgyro (10-28-23)
Old 10-26-23, 04:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwiok71
Hello all, looking to get back into a 450h as I had a 2007 with all the bells and whistles and absolutely miss the car.

I am in the market for a 2013+ but the features that are a must haves are Radar cruise control, ML sound and white or silver color

I have noticed that all I have seen for sale seem to have ML sound but the radar cruise has been hard to find

I am located on the Central Coast in California and just missed out on a White 14 with Radar, LKA, ML and it had the luxury package with rear controls in the rear arm rest. The car was in LA and could of saw it in person but but the dealer never replied to me reaching out through their dealer website and someone snagged it up when I got around to callingthem directly.

There is a white 450h in Texas that has all my requirements but it has 2 dings on Carfax. Being that its in Texas I probably wont be able to see it in person if I wanted to move forward in purchasing it.

What are you thoughts/opinions on buying a car sight unseen with the Carfax dings? I did reach out to the dealer before checking the Carfax and when they reached out to me I gave them a hard "no thanks"
After not being able to find any other 450h's with the features I want should I reconsider the "dirty" one in Texas? Anybody happen to know any history on the one that available there? Its on a popular car finding site at an Audi dealer.
@Cwiok71 - By 'dings', do you mean a questionable service history or actual dings in the metal? What do you man by 'dirty'?

What Audi dealer has this car? Do you have a link to the ad for the white GS 450h in Texas?

Last edited by bclexus; 10-26-23 at 05:01 PM.
Im2bz2p345 (10-29-23)
Old 10-26-23, 06:12 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Used 2014 Lexus GS 450h for sale in Selma, TX 78154: Sedan Details - 690487475 - Autotrader

He's probably talking about this one... which would be a hard pass for me. Front Bumper missing Fog light and then missing Fog Light bezel on the other side. Front Bumper alignment is also off. Obviously it rear ended something... repair work was shoddy... hate to see what else they didn't do right.

Rear bumper to quarter panel also doesn't "align" correctly.

Wheels not my preference (and look cheap), but more importantly TPMS light is on... probably a few hundred there to fix. Looks like it was either abused or ignored considering it's low mileage yet many issues.
Im2bz2p345 (10-29-23)
Old 10-26-23, 06:32 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,587 Posts

@Cwiok71 - HERE is a 2014 Starfire Pearl (077) with Flaxen Interior GS 450h LUXURY PACKAGE with only 28,871 miles for $27,998, which is priced under market value by $4,500. MSRP was: $60,430.00

ML Premium Sound System, One-Touch Electric trunk, Luxury Package rear seat controls, etc., etc., etc.

Coming Soon (Too new for the BMW dealer's website).

It's a one owner Dallas Texas car that has been serviced by an excellent Indy shop here in Plano, TX near me. Toyota/Lexus is headquartered here in Plano, Texas. This car is located at a large BMW/MINI dealership in Plano, Texas - just a few hundred yards from where I get my Lexus vehicles serviced at Park Place Lexus of Plano, Texas.

Clean CARFAX, no accidents or damage. VIN: JTHBS1BL0E5006647

This is a rare Luxury Package GS 450h with super low mileage and a excellent price. I seriously doubt this car will last long before it's quickly sold.

Edit ► It's SOLD! I knew it wouldn't last long before someone snapped it up!

Last edited by bclexus; 10-27-23 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-28-23, 08:42 AM
paulgyro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@Cwiok71 - HERE is a 2014 Starfire Pearl (077) with Flaxen Interior GS 450h LUXURY PACKAGE with only 28,871 miles for $27,998, which is priced under market value by $4,500. MSRP was: $60,430.00

ML Premium Sound System, One-Touch Electric trunk, Luxury Package rear seat controls, etc., etc., etc.

It's a one owner Dallas Texas car that has been serviced by an excellent Indy shop here in Plano, TX near me. Toyota/Lexus is headquartered here in Plano, Texas. This car is located at a large BMW/MINI dealership in Plano, Texas - just a few hundred yards from where I get my Lexus vehicles serviced at Park Place Lexus of Plano, Texas.

This is a rare Luxury Package GS 450h with super low mileage and a excellent price. I seriously doubt this car will last long before it's quickly sold.

Hi all, first post, how do know what equipment and packages are on the 450h? The dealership and even private seller often just post stock/base car info. Only way I'd found is to pay $10 each vin to get a window stick. Let me know thanks!

Paul
Old 10-29-23, 09:19 AM
Cwiok71
Driver

Originally Posted by lockedlex
Used 2014 Lexus GS 450h for sale in Selma, TX 78154: Sedan Details - 690487475 - Autotrader

He's probably talking about this one... which would be a hard pass for me. Front Bumper missing Fog light and then missing Fog Light bezel on the other side. Front Bumper alignment is also off. Obviously it rear ended something... repair work was shoddy... hate to see what else they didn't do right.

Rear bumper to quarter panel also doesn't "align" correctly.

Wheels not my preference (and look cheap), but more importantly TPMS light is on... probably a few hundred there to fix. Looks like it was either abused or ignored considering it's low mileage yet many issues.
I wasnt sure if linking to a dealer was allowed.

Yes this is the GS450h I'm talking about and do see the same exact issues you see. Here is the rear bumper alignment issue-

Does not line up and paint looks a little off

This is the Spec I am looking for but leaning towards a hard pass.

Old 10-29-23, 09:22 AM
Cwiok71
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus

Thank you, I did see this one and was sold before pics were even uploaded, The dealer has my contact info on a list so if they get another 450h in they will contact me
bclexus (10-29-23)
Old 02-26-24, 08:48 PM
hoxuantu
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lockedlex
I was in the same boat as the OP. Looking for a perfect 450h with those options were a mix of impossible and unlikely, esp. Radar Cruise and LKA. You might be able to find ML and maybe even the Lux package (although that's tough too), but RR was impossible. Finally after 6 months of searching, one came up in SoCal... I called, it was already pretty much sold (getting a PPI done at Lexus paid by a buyer in FL!). I gave the dealer my number anyway but wasn't expecting much. PPI came back clean, full service history (like crazy history, even for wiper blades), so I was even more bummed I missed out by maybe a few hours.

Turns out, the buyer needed to arrange financing and wasn't willing to put a non-ref deposit down... dealer called me, said since it's TBD, I could test drive it. Drove up... loved it, told him I wasn't going to argue with the price... offered cash and the dealer agreed. AS I was literally signing the docs... the FL buyer called, but the deal was done. Don't bother negotiating... these cars that are mint/maintained and with those options are being scooped up by buyers in the know.... still today, I'm seeing good examples getting sold in hours.

That said, I agree that with a 10 yo car, I wouldn't buy it without driving it. I lucked out to find a fully loaded one (PS. I HATE HUD and prefer LKA vs. Nightvision so this one was perfect for me). The 550-600 MILES per tank, 36-38 mpg and 29-32 city is incredible. Coupled with the power and adj. suspension. It's like having a lux cruiser and a canyon carver in one.

Patience is key and also open up your color choices. I wanted White or Silver too... but then this slate blue came up and it's gorgeous. I thought I'd just Vinyl wrap it, but I'm really into the color.

Congrats. What is its mileage and How much did you pay?