Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

12V battery inquiry (new) from old Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-23, 04:17 PM
Strlsn
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

(2006 RX400h)
I don't know if I know where the traction icon & battery icon are or how to view it - Could someone post a photo?
I always have my center display set to this one (see photo)

Also, the bottom & side button/**** lights of the stereo are off (also see photo). The dealership (Toyota) says they'd have to pull the dash to fix it, and basically refuse, saying I would have togoto a Body Shop to have this done. Are they just not wanting to do it for me? Could it just be a fuse?

The dealership also says there is NO WAY to check if the hybrid battery is beginning to die. Says that the only telltale is the Check Engine light comes on. Also,,, are they just lazy? Or is that correct?

Originally Posted by pakris
No, it's only yellow for the traction icon that doesn't always come on. and the battery icon is in the center box of the dashboard when touching the display button on the
wheel. It's always a black background with white lights that shows you how the car is cycling in real time. That display is separate from all warning lights.
Old 11-13-23, 02:52 PM
pakris
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Strlsn
(2006 RX400h)
I don't know if I know where the traction icon & battery icon are or how to view it - Could someone post a photo?

Also, the bottom & side button/**** lights of the stereo are off (also see photo). The dealership (Toyota) says they'd have to pull the dash to fix it, and basically refuse, saying I would have togoto a Body Shop to have this done. Are they just not wanting to do it for me? Could it just be a fuse?

The dealership also says there is NO WAY to check if the hybrid battery is beginning to die. Says that the only telltale is the Check Engine light comes on. Also,,, are they just lazy? Or is that correct?

What year is your car? That doesn't look like my dashboard view behind the wheel. Mine is 2006 rx 400h. I'm not a mechanic by any means and had a bad experience years ago that led me to this forum. I'm the second owner/driver of my car since 2016 and most issues were with the 12v battery going bad. I replaced the last one with a better battery (Optima yellow top) and it lasted more than 3 years.

Hopefully, a knowledgeable tech can give you better direction. Don't give up. They are good vehicles imo. Just hard to diagnose for a regular driver like myself. I've learned so much about my car from a few techs and others' experiences!

I'll attach an older picture of mine that I'm describing.

This is what I watch after changing a battery to watch it cycle from engine/wheel/hybrid. If you have the same year you can select 'display' button on your steering wheel 2006RX400h

Last edited by pakris; 11-13-23 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Add picture from my other post
Old 11-13-23, 07:33 PM
Strlsn
Rookie

Thank you, I figured it out,,
I never push the center button on the right side of the steering wheel so I didn't know that the screen under the odometer / speedometer could change over to those icons.

Is this icon showing the Hybrid battery status, or the Regular 12v battery? I thought it was for the Hybrid.
​​​​​​
Mine is a 2006, I've had it since 2021, and I'm the second owner also - Mine lived in Beverly Hills CA driven by an elderly lady. (I'm in Oregon.) Miles are now at 126k
_

What year is your car? That doesn't look like my dashboard view behind the wheel. Mine is 2006 rx 400h. I'm not a mechanic by any means and had a bad experience years ago that led me to this forum. I'm the second owner/driver of my car since 2016 and most issues were with the 12v battery going bad. I replaced the last one with a better battery (Optima yellow top) and it lasted more than 3 years.

Hopefully, a knowledgeable tech can give you better direction. Don't give up. They are good vehicles imo. Just hard to diagnose for a regular driver like myself. I've learned so much about my car from a few techs and others' experiences!

I'll attach an older picture of mine that I'm describing.

This is what I watch after changing a battery to watch it cycle from engine/wheel/hybrid. If you have the same year you can select 'display' button on your steering wheel 2006RX400h

Last edited by Strlsn; 11-13-23 at 07:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pakris (11-14-23)
Old 11-14-23, 09:58 AM
XRX
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

(2006 RX400h)

1."Colored" battery icon is on your photo:

PS: You have a good MPG for such old battery/car.

2. They lied to you - the dash shouldn't be removed. You don't have lights in radio UNIT, and it's easy to remove it (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9689729). Probably, you need just to replace bulb(s) inside the unit. I would recommend to find the service who do electric works and get consultation. Don't ask dealers - high labor costs.
How to remove:

3. They CAN, but they are extremely lazy to do this and will read the errors only. iMSQ posted above the link to discussion on Forum. I would recommend having that App by every "not a new hybrid" owner (Dr. Prius App +
Amazon.com: NEXAS NexLink OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth 5.0,Wireless Compatible with Third-Party Apps,Car & Motorcycle Universal Code Reader,Check Engine Fault OBDII Adapter Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows : Automotive Amazon.com: NEXAS NexLink OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth 5.0,Wireless Compatible with Third-Party Apps,Car & Motorcycle Universal Code Reader,Check Engine Fault OBDII Adapter Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows : Automotive
). So, you can estimate the expected life of your hybrid battery, it's current condition. You will also be able to read errors and reset them.
The following 2 users liked this post by XRX:
pakris (11-14-23), Strlsn (11-14-23)
Old 11-14-23, 10:23 AM
XRX
Pit Crew

Thank you all for posting this info!
I've had my RX 400h for 2.5y and I've been having issues w the car not showing READY, but wait a few minutes and it will start up. Now it won't and I have to jump the 12v w my portable. The hybrid battery hasn't been replaced (126k miles) and the fact that they're $7k freaks me out.

Along w other issues, like not being able to just sit in my car and listen to music w o the hybrid battery bottoming out to Red, has really swayed me away from every buying another Hybrid.

Love the car, but,, Nope!

The condition of 12v battery is important for starting of hybrid system. If your car is READY after each "jump" then your 12v is bad.
PS: Do you have (had) "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" warning ON?
PS: Some Toyota dealers have free 12V battery test till end of November.
The following 2 users liked this post by XRX:
pakris (11-14-23), Strlsn (11-14-23)
Old 11-14-23, 10:53 AM
Strlsn
Rookie

Amazing info @XRX , Thank you

I've never seen the CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM warning (yet). Would it be on the panel behind the steering wheel?

Ps. I just bought that Scan Tool - $29 on Amazon rn
_

Originally Posted by XRX
The condition of 12v battery is important for starting of hybrid system. If your car is READY after each "jump" then your 12v is bad.
PS: Do you have (had) "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" warning ON?
PS: Some Toyota dealers have free 12V battery test till end of November.

Last edited by Strlsn; 11-14-23 at 11:01 AM.
pakris (11-14-23)
Old 11-14-23, 08:41 PM
pakris
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you, I figured it out,,
I never push the center button on the right side of the steering wheel so I didn't know that the screen under the odometer / speedometer could change over to those icons.

Is this icon showing the Hybrid battery status, or the Regular 12v battery? I thought it was for the Hybrid.
​​​​​​
Mine is a 2006, I've had it since 2021, and I'm the second owner also - Mine lived in Beverly Hills CA driven by an elderly lady. (I'm in Oregon.) Miles are now at 126k
_
Yes, this is showing the status when the car is on. Not the 12v. From what I can tell, in general, the engine is on and not in tire-to-hybrid or hybrid-to-tire cycles at the moment the picture was taken. If you still have the user manual it does show picture diagrams that explain what the flow of energy means.

This is also where the typical warning lights come on around this 'display' area (usually yellow), and then there may be a white-lighted message 'check hybrid' here too. But it could be for many reasons mostly, in my case, a loss of communication from 12v to hybrid and anything in-between that sends the signal/s when operating correctly.

Anyone that is a tech on this board please feel free to correct me as I am an owner and driver learning and sharing my experiences. Thank you in advance! This Forum is great.
Patricia

Last edited by pakris; 11-14-23 at 08:57 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-14-23, 09:09 PM
XRX
Pit Crew

Amazing info @XRX , Thank you
I've never seen the CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM warning (yet). Would it be on the panel behind the steering wheel?
_
It's a good sign. Computer doesn't see anything wrong with the hybrid system.
Yes, warnings are behind the steering wheel.
Strlsn (11-15-23)
Old 11-14-23, 10:23 PM
XRX
Pit Crew

... If you still have the user manual it does show picture diagrams that explain what the flow of energy means...

pakris (11-15-23)
Old 11-15-23, 05:11 AM
Strlsn
Rookie

I've gone down to levels 2 / 3 this summer. WHILE driving a 90 minute continuous mountainous drive.

​​​​​​One reason I seriously debate keeping this RX400H is you can't sit idle or the Hybrid battery will bottom out. Unless I'm wrong.
If I leave my grown kids in the car, I can't leave the keys in the ignition to let them listen to the radio; I can't sit in the car for any amount of time myself listening to the radio while eating or other things; I have to make sure the headlights are off; If we ever got stuck somewhere, and it was cold, we wouldn't be able to leave the car running for heat; If we were in a serious traffic jam on the Hwy and were stuck for a long period of time, again, we wouldn't be able to have the vehicle running.

Originally Posted by XRX
Old 11-15-23, 08:31 AM
XRX
Pit Crew

I've gone down to levels 2 / 3 this summer. WHILE driving a 90 minute continuous mountainous drive.

​​​​​​One reason I seriously debate keeping this RX400H is you can't sit idle or the Hybrid battery will bottom out. Unless I'm wrong.
If I leave my grown kids in the car, I can't leave the keys in the ignition to let them listen to the radio; I can't sit in the car for any amount of time myself listening to the radio while eating or other things; I have to make sure the headlights are off; If we ever got stuck somewhere, and it was cold, we wouldn't be able to leave the car running for heat; If we were in a serious traffic jam on the Hwy and were stuck for a long period of time, again, we wouldn't be able to have the vehicle running.
No, you can sit in car as long as you want, the only thing is that transmission should be in P gear (never in N). Car will idle when it needs to. Your steering wheel and AC are electric powered, so you can use AC all the time.

Please remember that battery vents should never been blocked, otherwise the battery can/will be damaged.

PS: Just set headlights in AUTO mode

Last edited by XRX; 11-15-23 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-15-23, 08:42 AM
XRX
Pit Crew

PPS: I wouldn't recommend to use air recirculation (in-cabin air flow) except there is a diesel truck next to your car.

Old 11-15-23, 09:19 AM
Strlsn
Rookie

I've been told to always use recirculation bc it shuts the vents so rodents won't go in. I've had droppings on the Cabin Filter.

Originally Posted by XRX
PPS: I wouldn't recommend to use air recirculation (in-cabin air flow) except there is a diesel truck next to your car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0fDfzV41I&t=925s
Old 11-15-23, 09:34 AM
Strlsn
Rookie

Interesting, bc sitting in PARK with the vehicle running, OR turned OFF but listening to the radio & / or had the AC or HEAT turned on has lead to to the hybrid battery bottoming out for the 2 years that I've owned it, which leads to not being able to start the car / READY light does not come on when I try to start it again after turning it off. I've had to sit in the car for up to 20m before READY will finally show.
Only recently has it not started at all (still assuming it's the 12v battery needing replacement.)
I've never sat with the car in NEUTRAL.

Passenger area vents are never blocked.

I absolutely only use the headlights in AUTO mode. (unless I'm driving at night (I work nights) or on long drives when I prefer the headlights to actually be on = safer)

Originally Posted by XRX
No, you can sit in car as long as you want, the only thing is that transmission should be in P gear (never in N). Car will idle when it needs to. Your steering wheel and AC are electric powered, so you can use AC all the time.

Please remember that battery vents should never been blocked, otherwise the battery can/will be damaged.

PS: Just set headlights in AUTO mode

Last edited by Strlsn; 11-15-23 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-15-23, 11:17 AM
Strlsn
Rookie

Where / Which is the NAVIGATION SYSTEM screen @XRX ?
Where do I see those traction batteries pictured in your quote? I've never seen them🤔

Ps. The second photo is from sitting in my car for the 10 minutes I've been writing / editing this reply.

​​​​​

Originally Posted by XRX

Last edited by Strlsn; 11-15-23 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 12V battery inquiry (new) from old Thread