Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

2017 GS450h buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-23, 08:48 AM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 2017 GS450h buying advice

Hello all,

While I am in a shopping process between a gs350(preferred 2020, but could open to 2018,2019) and GSF, I happened to see an 2017 GS450h red with black interior in New York area, the car is 2017 with less than 60K miles, no accident asking for 43K. From the history, it has a water pump replaced. The price looks a lot higher considering the mileages and years, and I don't know what is the lifespan of that hybrid power train. That's my biggest concern. Though I am quite interested to try this one out. just I am living far away need see if that's well worth a trip there.

I would like to hear if any of you have experience this hybrid power train and what is your opinion on this price?
Old 11-26-23, 09:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

@liazhang - I think you can expect a lifespan of at least ¼ million miles from the car. Lexus provides an 8 YR/100K Mile Hybrid-related Component Coverage in addition to the normal Lexus Powertrain 6 Yr/70K Mile warranty.

I absolutely love my 2018 GS 450h. It feels as if it could have been designed and built by NASA!

This must be the 2017 GS 450h you're considering - VIN#: JTHBS1BL3HA002300. It looks nice!

Last edited by bclexus; 11-26-23 at 12:31 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 11-26-23, 08:02 PM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
@liazhang - I think you can expect a lifespan of at least ¼ million miles from the car. Lexus provides an 8 YR/100K Mile Hybrid-related Component Coverage in addition to the normal Lexus Powertrain 6 Yr/70K Mile warranty.

I absolutely love my 2018 GS 450h. It feels as if it could have been designed and built by NASA!

This must be the 2017 GS 450h you're considering - VIN#: JTHBS1BL3HA002300. It looks nice!

yeah, this is the one. There is like 20 months left on the hybrid warranty, don't want to spend another 8-9K right after 2 years when the warranty is out. Considering the price, it is also marked up high for this 6.5 yrs car, I think probably higher 35K-40K should be a reasonable price. Now it's just to see if the test drive can change my mind...
Old 11-27-23, 08:02 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by liazhang
...what is the lifespan of that hybrid power train. That's my biggest concern.
I remember reading a thread about a guy with a 3rd generation 450h who drove the car to 270k+ miles with the original hybrid battery, until got into an accident. He did get a warning around 220 or 230k miles for the battery pack and turned out to be a bad cell(lower voltage). However the battery pack still keeps working until the cell completely dies and the guy was convinced if he didn't wreck the car it could have gone to 300k miles.

So I would not worry about trying to fix something that not broken like the hybrid battery in a 450h. 270k miles is way more life in a car than anyone could ask for.
@liazhang - The above quoted information from @peasodos may be helpful to answer your lifespan concern.
Old 11-27-23, 09:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I happened to see an 2017 GS450h red with black interior with less than 60K miles, no accident asking for 43K.

what is your opinion on this price?
@liazhang - According to Kelly Blue Book this 2017 GS 450h you're interested in has a current Trade-in Value of around $36k (see image below). So the Lexus dealer's asking price for the car of $43k is about what one can expect they'd ask for it. This car's MSRP sticker was close to $70k or more. If the Lexus dealer is selling this car as a Lexus CPO (Lexus Certified Pre-Owned) it most likely has undergone the recommended 60k mile scheduled maintenance, including engine air filter and cabin air filter and might have new brakes and also brand new tires which is something meaningful to consider. If so, this Lexus dealer probably has at least ~$2,500 invested in getting the car CPO ready. It's just a wild guess on my part but I suspect the dealer probably gave the previous owner around $33k which means the dealer has around $36k invested in the car and is looking to sell it for at least $41-42k for a profit of around $5-6k. If I'm close to being right with the numbers, someone buying the car for less than the current asking price would be - in my opinion - a better than expected good deal.

This car is loaded except for the HUD (head-up display) option, including the highly sought-after Triple-beam headlights. It's definitely a really nice GS 450h.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-27-23 at 01:16 PM. Reason: orthography
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (11-28-23)
Old 11-27-23, 09:58 PM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

They called me today, the listing price was dropped below 40K now and they will cover my flight trip. Sounds like a good deal? I already organized a PPI for the vehicle tomorrow.

Two main repairs done/to be done:
1. One strut leaking and they are going to replace it.
2. Water pump replaced couple of months ago.

Are those signs normal for a 2017 Lexus? I don't really get why the water pump and strut failed so early, shouldn't it more reliable ?
Im2bz2p345 (11-28-23)
Old 11-28-23, 05:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

They called me today, the listing price was dropped below 40K now and they will cover my flight trip. Sounds like a good deal? I already organized a PPI for the vehicle tomorrow.

Two main repairs done/to be done:
1. One strut leaking and they are going to replace it.
2. Water pump replaced couple of months ago.

Are those signs normal for a 2017 Lexus? I don't really get why the water pump and strut failed so early, shouldn't it more reliable ?
@liazhang - That sounds like a good deal to me! It appears I pegged the dealer's numbers pretty close...

I presume the car is being sold as a CPO. If so did the selling Lexus dealer put new tires on the car? How about the brakes (rotors and/or pads)?

I think you'll fall in love with the GS 450h right away.

The only thing I don't particularly like about the car are the optional door edge guards, but you might like them for the protection they offer - or they can be removed easily if you wish.

Does the car have the port installed optional Illuminated Door Sills or Paint Protection Film on fenders, hood, mirrors?
How about aftermarket window tinting, which of course you'll want here in Texas?

My 2018 GS 450h had a strut leaking that needed to be replaced at only 5k miles! I would not be concerned about the strut being replaced now or the water pump that was already replaced. Lexus/Toyota parts typically last a long time and are typically very reliable. It sounds like it's being well taken care of.

Here's my passenger rear strut replacement on a 2018 GS 450h when it only had 5,802 miles:

Last edited by bclexus; 11-28-23 at 04:05 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 11-28-23, 12:33 PM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
@liazhang - That sounds like a good deal to me! It appears I pegged the dealer's numbers pretty close...

I presume the car i being sold as a CPO. If so did the selling Lexus dealer put new tires on the car? How about the brakes (rotors and/or pads)?

I think you'll fall in love with the GS 450h right away.

The only thing I don't particularly like about the car are the optional door edge guards, but you might like them for the protection they offer - or they can be removed easily if you wish.

Does the car have the port installed optional Illuminated Door Sills or Paint Protection Film on fenders, hood, mirrors?
How about aftermarket window tinting, which of course you'll want here in Texas?

My 2018 GS 450h had a strut leaking that needed to be replaced at only 5k miles! I would not be concerned about the strut being replaced now or the water pump that was already replaced. Lexus/Toyota parts typically last a long time and are typically very reliable. It sounds like it's being well taken care of.

Here's my passenger rear strut replacement on a 2018 GS 450h when it only had 5,802 miles:
I did expect high however after the inspection, it let me down. The car is with plenty of paint works in the front and on both front and rear doors, the inspector told me it is an accident car even though carfax report it clean.

It is not a CPO, but dealer never disclose it as accident car, so shady..

I will moving on for shopping
Im2bz2p345 (12-14-23)
Old 11-28-23, 01:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I did expect high however after the inspection, it let me down. The car is with plenty of paint works in the front and on both front and rear doors, the inspector told me it is an accident car even though carfax report it clean.

It is not a CPO, but dealer never disclose it as accident car, so shady..

I will moving on for shopping
I don't blame you at all for walking away from that wrecked car that STOLER LEXUS is trying to sell. It's really bad that scumbag NY Lexus dealer didn't disclose it was a wrecked car instead of representing it as clean. That doesn't surprise me in the least, being it is a New York dealer...

That deplorable New York Lexus dealer needs a good ol' Texas *** kicking by the Lexus North America corporate office which just so happens is located a few miles from me here in Plano, Texas.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-29-23 at 05:12 AM. Reason: orthography