Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Why Premium fuel for 350h?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-23, 08:15 AM
BabyLFA
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
Curb weight.

RAV4 ~ 3500 lbs.
NX 350H ~ 4080 lbs.
You're way off my friend, please read my post slowwly, Rav4 Prime Plug-in Hybrid (not regular hybrid) gross weight is about 5530 lbs, NX450h (also a Plug-in Hybrid) is about 5600 lbs (gross weight means with passenger in case you didn't know) so no cigar for you.

Last edited by BabyLFA; 11-29-23 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-29-23, 08:38 AM
BabyLFA
Rookie

Originally Posted by romer
Several detailed engine descriptions and analyses above indicate the 350h engine isn’t identical to the RAV4. But here’s the thing. MPG is not the only metric or consideration owners employ. Some people want to have the car perform at its best expectations. Some people care about the long term effects on the engine from using the less than recommended octane. Some people care more about mpg for planet earth than a few extra pennies in their piggy bank. The mpg issue is very difficult to unpack because it’s impossible to replicate the claims of any individual’s reports, despite their reported procedure and sincere though they may be. Bottom line take away for me in all this—paraphrasing Droid13–every owner gets to decide which octane to use. Regardless of manufacturer recommendations, real world behavioral results, etc. Individuals have different values. Some people value speed and performance. Others MPG. Others favor responsiveness. The variables are near endless. Decide for yourself. Enjoy. We’re not engaged in conversion activity here…it’s a forum. Not a religion. YMMV
I find it kind of funny when I hear people say using recommended octance (premium), which is not required to helped long term of the engine, if that statement is true, then most Lexus vehicles are longer lasting than Toyota vehicles, since most of Lexus vehicles uses premium for "performance". I don't know, I've seen a lot of Toyotas lasted well into the hundreds of thousands of miles, if not a million miles using 87 octane, and they are the same company, and manufacture from the same plant, using the same engine. So no, in this case it's not for longevity of the car, but for luxury and performance speed.

All I'm saying is that if you have a heavy foot, and want to get from one redlight to the next fast in your 350h, then yes, 91/93 octance is the way to go, I use 93 octance only on my LC500 I tend to drive fast in that car, and because on the gas cap it stated in clear bold white letters PREMIUM ONLY.
Old 11-29-23, 08:57 AM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

When we tire of this discussion we can take up the subject of studying the anatomy of the left hind leg of a flea. But seriously I don't believe there is anything "nefarious" in Lexus' recommendation of using 91 octane but if you don't want to use it then don't. I was just amused by why one would care that much about the implications. You can provide an analysis demonstrating that on a per-mile basis the impact is 25% to 34% more in cost but when you translate that to actual yearly cost of maybe $200 to $300 more it completes the picture. Impact is like buying one Starbuck's a week. Looking at statistical percentages alone without looking at the actual numbers is only half the picture (and vice versa).
The following users liked this post:
romer (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 10:52 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyLFA
The 350h and Rav4 Hybrid both have the A25A-FXS 2.5L I4 gas engine, same as the new highlander and RX hybrid, so what's the difference between the 350h and the Rav4 hybrid engine, if you're saying it's not identical?
Software rules all. Toyota and Lexus share a lot of mechanical components, but engine and transmission control software is not only tuned separately between Lexus and Toyota, but also tuned separately based on the model and market of car the engine goes into. Toyota is more conservative with engine control than Lexus, so its not uncommon to see Toyotas with the same engine sporting lower power claims than the same engine in a Lexus model. Many people have overridden the engine control software and put their own "tuning" in, completely changing the power and torque curves of the engine, even though the engine itself is mechanically unchanged.
lsft (12-01-23)
Old 11-29-23, 11:14 AM
BabyLFA
Rookie

Originally Posted by Droid13
Software rules all. Toyota and Lexus share a lot of mechanical components, but engine and transmission control software is not only tuned separately between Lexus and Toyota, but also tuned separately based on the model and market of car the engine goes into. Toyota is more conservative with engine control than Lexus, so its not uncommon to see Toyotas with the same engine sporting lower power claims than the same engine in a Lexus model. Many people have overridden the engine control software and put their own "tuning" in, completely changing the power and torque curves of the engine, even though the engine itself is mechanically unchanged.
you are absolutely right, if we are talking about performance in speed and throttle respond, I had an R8 V10 which have the same engine as the Gallardo, which was detuned by Audi so they don't step on Gallardo shoes, I went got it APR tuned so it would have the same power as the Gallardo. As for these mini family SUVs I doubt that most people buy for racing or mess with the tuning, I'm talking about it's not necessary to pump higher octance unless you want to go faster, it will not hurt your engine to pump 87 octane
Old 11-29-23, 07:03 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Default From another thread..... Note the Bold type.....

The 350h and Rav4 Hybrid both have the A25A-FXS 2.5L I4 gas engine, same as the new highlander and RX hybrid, so what's the difference between the 350h and the Rav4 hybrid engine, if you're saying it's not identical?
For the Rav4 Hybrid, the Rav uses the A25F-FXS which has 176 HP and 163 lb-ft torque
For the Lexus NX350h, the Lexus uses the A25A-FXS which has 188 HP and 179 lb-ft torque (as stated in the Droid posting)
Old 11-29-23, 07:19 PM
BabyLFA
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
For the Rav4 Hybrid, the Rav uses the A25F-FXS which has 176 HP and 163 lb-ft torque
For the Lexus NX350h, the Lexus uses the A25A-FXS which has 188 HP and 179 lb-ft torque (as stated in the Droid posting)
Yes I know, if you read all the threads, I agreed with Droid about the tuning, and as stated above I was talking about using 87 octane gas in the hybrid engine, now give me your email so I can send you a certificate of achievement
Old 11-29-23, 08:38 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Hey Baby,
just pointing out your mis-statement, they are not the same engine configuration. Just correcting mis-information.
Thanks for the Certificate of Achievement. It really means a lot to me. Made my day.
Yeah, Sure.
You could even edit your post and do the world a favor.

Last edited by Lexicon1; 11-29-23 at 08:41 PM. Reason: response to the Baby
romer (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23, 03:14 PM
BabyLFA
Rookie

Hey Baby,
just pointing out your mis-statement, they are not the same engine configuration. Just correcting mis-information.
Thanks for the Certificate of Achievement. It really means a lot to me. Made my day.
Yeah, Sure.
You could even edit your post and do the world a favor.
Getting real technical there cupcake, but I hate to tell ya it's all the same engine and components, a little software update does not make it different, that's just like saying you have two identical cars then you go get a software tuned for one of them and all of the sudden it's now 2 different engine smh, sorry sugar go do more internet search and educate yourself
Old 11-30-23, 07:45 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Cupcakes...sugar...somebody has a crush on somebody sounds like...
Old 11-30-23, 07:52 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I think we're done here if there's nothing else to add relating to using premium fuel.
The following 3 users liked this post by GS3Tek:
BabyLFA (12-01-23), romer (11-30-23), SeismicGuy (12-01-23)
Old 11-30-23, 08:02 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default I am starting to feel the love....Baby

Getting real technical there cupcake, but I hate to tell ya it's all the same engine and components, a little software update does not make it different, that's just like saying you have two identical cars then you go get a software tuned for one of them and all of the sudden it's now 2 different engine smh, sorry sugar go do more internet search and educate yourself
At least I did not bring in my expensive vehicle to bolster my ego.....
There is an obvious stock difference in HP ....whether accomplished by Software or Hardware.
just that facts ma'am

Yeah
Time to close the thread.....

Old 12-01-23, 06:01 AM
BabyLFA
Rookie

At least I did not bring in my expensive vehicle to bolster my ego.....
There is an obvious stock difference in HP ....whether accomplished by Software or Hardware.
just that facts ma'am

Yeah
Time to close the thread.....
not sure why you started to comment on the HP and Specs, which I'm very impressed btw with the exact HP and Torque for both engines, your copy and paste skill is as good as it gets. If you have a mininum reading level of IQ, you would know the thread was about pumping 87 or 91/93 octane in that engine, there's no diffenrent besides the tuning, but you want to show how educated you are with the HP and Torque, we wasn't even talking about that, anyone with a 50s level of IQ like you could do a simple search and see the different in specs.
Old 12-01-23, 07:53 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Yeah Baby,
If one reads the very first post , (that's the one at the very top of the page) the OP speculates why the Rav4 and the Lexus hybrid require different octane fuel since they are the same engine. I and others responded to that specific question. I was impressed with Midcow and Droids great input. Yes, all I did was sift thru Wikipedia and copy and pasted my input, not much talent to do that, (and that's assuming Wikipedia is accurate) , I do acknowledge that. . I gotta love this Lexus community
Just an FYI: I did barely manage to graduate with a subpar level of " ejubication " from kindergarten and that is indeed my highest level of education. I was fortunate that someone else took my driving test for me because I would never been able to pass that exam.

Thank god for humor in this world and tolerance of others.
romer (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 08:14 AM
jgrnt1
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I am saddened by this thread. It's emblematic of the state of our society. It now seems impossible to have a conversation with differing points of view while remaining civil. Please, if you can't be civil, at lease be quiet.
romer (12-01-23)

Quick Reply: Why Premium fuel for 350h?