Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Why Premium fuel for 350h?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-23, 11:02 AM
romer
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Why Premium fuel for 350h?

This topic has had lots of treatments. A sizable number of owners use regular gas arguing it's the same motor, etc. as the RAV4 that calls for regular. So why does Lexus prefer premium in the 350h? Is there something about the Lexus that is some kind of tweak from the RAV4? Or some other explanation? I don't mind using premium as recommended--that's what I use. But what's the explanation for it? Thanks team.

Popular Reply

11-26-23, 01:28 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

The "atkinson" cycle engine used in the hybrid is very high static compression ratio engine. To get the max power out of a typical high compression engines often requires premium fuel to prevent damage from uneven fuel burning due to knocking (aka denotation, pre-ignition, etc). However the whole premise behind atkinson cycle engines is to limit air intake into the cylinder (sort of like an anti-turbo). Less air charge, less fuel, some less power but more room for complete combustion, so much more efficient and less emissions, hence being favoured in hybrid vehicles where electric drive can assist power. This reduced air charge actually reduces the actual compression ratio in most situations other than under full throttle. In normal everyday conditions regular will do perfectly fine and get you most miles for the buck. If you have your foot to the floor occasionally, regular will still be fine as the engine computer will limit knock by backing off power a tad. If however you have your foot to the floor often, premium will let the engine eek out extra power without the computer imposing its limits when using regular fuel to prevent knock.

PS it is not the same motor as the gas RAV4 or NX250. Same family though, but cylinder head is different. Also, Toyota tends to tune down compared with Lexus. Take for example the NX350 engine, T24A turbo requires premium in NX while the same engine in the Highlander does not, because the Toyota version is tuned down to make less power.
Old 11-26-23, 11:51 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 565 Likes on 374 Posts
Lightbulb Use Regular

Use regular, save money. Here was a previous ad infinitium discussion if you like reading a lot : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...errerid=161523 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...errerid=161523
Old 11-26-23, 01:28 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

The "atkinson" cycle engine used in the hybrid is very high static compression ratio engine. To get the max power out of a typical high compression engines often requires premium fuel to prevent damage from uneven fuel burning due to knocking (aka denotation, pre-ignition, etc). However the whole premise behind atkinson cycle engines is to limit air intake into the cylinder (sort of like an anti-turbo). Less air charge, less fuel, some less power but more room for complete combustion, so much more efficient and less emissions, hence being favoured in hybrid vehicles where electric drive can assist power. This reduced air charge actually reduces the actual compression ratio in most situations other than under full throttle. In normal everyday conditions regular will do perfectly fine and get you most miles for the buck. If you have your foot to the floor occasionally, regular will still be fine as the engine computer will limit knock by backing off power a tad. If however you have your foot to the floor often, premium will let the engine eek out extra power without the computer imposing its limits when using regular fuel to prevent knock.

PS it is not the same motor as the gas RAV4 or NX250. Same family though, but cylinder head is different. Also, Toyota tends to tune down compared with Lexus. Take for example the NX350 engine, T24A turbo requires premium in NX while the same engine in the Highlander does not, because the Toyota version is tuned down to make less power.

Last edited by Droid13; 11-26-23 at 01:32 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by Droid13:
dklanecky1 (11-27-23), Doug007 (11-26-23), fitiam4me (11-27-23), Infusion (12-12-23), jatwell (11-26-23), Lexus22563 (11-29-23), MattRX (11-28-23), midcow3 (11-28-23), Mrnovanova (11-29-23), romer (11-26-23), SexyNX2022 (11-27-23) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-26-23, 01:57 PM
romer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Droid13

This is the best/thorough explanation I've seen. Makes sense too since people can get by with regular yet the Lexus Premium recommendation has merit. Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by romer:
Doug007 (11-26-23), fitiam4me (11-27-23)
Old 11-26-23, 02:09 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Do the math

I have seen this question posed on forums for the various cars I have owned in the past including even the Corvette forum. The example I use is figure average driver maybe puts on 10,000 miles a year and figure lousy mileage like 15 mpg. That works out to be about 700 gallons. Even if premium is 50 cents more a gallon that ends up $350 more per year. Is that worth fretting about?
The following users liked this post:
BaconLS430 (11-28-23)
Old 11-26-23, 02:12 PM
romer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I have seen this question posed on forums for the various cars I have owned in the past including even the Corvette forum. The example I use is figure average driver maybe puts on 10,000 miles a year and figure lousy mileage like 15 mpg. That works out to be about 700 gallons. Even if premium is 50 cents more a gallon that ends up $350 more per year. Is that worth fretting about?
Not to me. And your $350.00 is half that for people who drive 5,000 miles a year. And so on.
Old 11-26-23, 02:14 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by romer
Not to me. And your $350.00 is half that for people who drive 5,000 miles a year. And so on.
EXACTLY. I was intentionally using the most unlikely numbers for the argument.
romer (11-26-23)
Old 11-26-23, 03:51 PM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Droid13

Regular works very very well and saves money
Old 11-26-23, 04:14 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

what is the main purpose of premium gas? To retard the spark and prevent premature detonation, i.e. knocking. If you car is not knocking then premium give you no gain.( okay maybe 5-7 Hp woopie ) so instead of 240 hp-7 Hp= 233Hp you get a gain of 3 %

Peace to All . If you want premium gas go for it.

YMMV,
MidCow3 ( my 7th Toyota/Lexus hybrid, driven them flawlessly on regular for 13 years )
Old 11-26-23, 04:29 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
what is the main purpose of premium gas? To retard the spark and prevent premature detonation, i.e. knocking. If you car is not knocking then premium give you no gain.( okay maybe 5-7 Hp woopie ) so instead of 240 hp-7 Hp= 233Hp you get a gain of 3 %

Peace to All . If you want premium gas go for it.

YMMV,
MidCow3 ( my 7th Toyota/Lexus hybrid, driven them flawlessly on regular for 13 years )
Regular works fine for most people and I don't think there is a need to enforce Premium or Regular. If regular works for you great. No need to tell people what to use. @Droid13 reply is well written and very neutral.
Old 11-26-23, 04:34 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb anti-turbo ??

Originally Posted by lsft
Regular works fine for most people and I don't think there is a need to enforce Premium or Regular. If regular works for you great. No need to tell people what to use. @Droid13 reply is well written and very neutral.
I was okay until the term "anti-turbo"

Peace to all, Use whatever gas you want.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 11-26-23, 05:31 PM
Billst
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I regularly do an 850km 8hr run. It was in a RAV4, now in an NX450h+. Both used less fuel with noticeably greater range, when filled with Premium. If the price is right (Costco) then Premium is my choice.
The following 3 users liked this post by Billst:
CangrejoCT (11-26-23), lsft (11-26-23), romer (11-26-23)
Old 11-26-23, 05:36 PM
romer
Intermediate

Interesting how invested some folks can get over this issue. Droid13 was being explanatory and prefaced the term 'anti-turbo' with the words 'sort of like an' which was helpful to my understanding which is why I started the thread. And thank you lsft for the customary level headed observations. I don't need to be told by other owners to use whatever fuel I want--I already knew that as does everyone else. If you want to run popcorn oil that's your choice. Just not Lexus recommended.
lsft (11-26-23)
Old 11-26-23, 07:27 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Billst
I regularly do an 850km 8hr run. It was in a RAV4, now in an NX450h+. Both used less fuel with noticeably greater range, when filled with Premium. If the price is right (Costco) then Premium is my choice.
But still regular is much more cost effective even with anti-turbo air compression.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S.- This is too much . Driving up to my cabin in the woods to relax
fitiam4me (11-27-23)
Old 11-26-23, 09:14 PM
romer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by midcow3
But still regular is much more cost effective even with anti-turbo air compression.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S.- This is too much . Driving up to my cabin in the woods to relax

Madcap---it is not MUCH more cost effective if you don't define "much more." It's relative. It's a cost benefit analysis. Which turns on a host of variables. Hey--you like being a regular pumper. Fine. Pump away. It's okay. Choice. Yours and others. We all choose. This thread was not about what is the 'Smarter" choice. It was about why Lexus recommends premium.This thread was not about choosing sides and not being able to let go. But let me suggest if your comments aren't about why Lexus recommends premium that you let it go.
Billst (11-27-23)

Quick Reply: Why Premium fuel for 350h?