Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

RX500h possible transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 01:05 PM
Hrtbrkr00
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In my case, I can replicate it quite consistently. But the key is that the engine has to be on. You can force the engine on in sport mode or shift the transmission to manual mode.

My RX 500h always vibrates when I am slowing down to about 5km/h (really slow creeping speed) with the engine on. Without the engine on, it's smooth as a butter. If you can replicate this step, then tell the service advisor you want to sit with the mechanic to replicate the issue, if they keep claiming they cannot replicate it.

Last edited by Hrtbrkr00; 12-12-23 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-12-23, 10:18 PM
Louis500h
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So yesterday it happened again, this time it happened on a bridge as the traffic came to stop and I almost got rear-ended because the cars in the front moved and I got stalled basically having to have to put the car in park first and then reengage... Scary!
Today, I called the dealership I purchased the car from and I explained my issues again and what happened yesterday, I said if this happens again ans I get into an accident because of it, it's on you guys! I think he got the message, he said bring the car in and with your permission we're gonna let one of techs drive your car around and even take it home for a couple days and see if he can replicate the problem, he said bottom line we gotta see what we're dealing with here before we can begin to repair it. Seemed like a fair statement. I said fine. So next week I'm scheduled to go in. I'll keep you guys posted.
Meanwhile I'm gonna take advice from our friend here earlier with his explanation on how to replicate the issue and see if I can do it myself at "will".
Old 12-12-23, 10:23 PM
tkb13
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I brought mine to Lexus Newport Beach, they kept it for 4 days and said they couldn’t replicate any of the issues after driving it for 10 miles, also no error code found after they scanned the car…of course!
Old 01-17-24, 07:50 PM
Louis500h
9th Gear

So update for everyone. Went o dealership again and left the car for a couple days and again they couldn't replicate the issue. So they sent me home.

Couple days ago I get a call from my service advisor saying there is a bulletin from Lexus Canada for RX500h regarding "transaxel" but they want me to go in so they can look at the serial number on the transaxel to see if it's one of the ones with issues. Apparently they can't tell from the VIN.

​​​​​so, let's see... I'll post again when I go into the dealership.

Btw, I was able to get the juddering/jerking issues on video the other day as I rolled to stop. I'm gonna be showing the video to the tech at Lexus also. Unfortunately, the forum is not allowing me to post it here.

Old 02-05-24, 12:17 AM
roadanywhere
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX500h product month Jun of 2003 violently jerking.

I am so disappointed with Lexus, My old 2022 RX450h is perfect and no issues. but this new RX500h is a trouble maker. I can always feel the light shaking when moving forward in a very slow speed less than 3 miles per hour so I thought that's the only issue but I am totally wrong. today, the car is around 6000 miles, I am fully stopped at a stop sign and I was on the brakes. it's in the hybrid mode and engine is off. it suddenly violently jerking back and forth and the popping sound is very loud from the tans box. it looks like everything is mess up but no any error messages. I put it to Parking mode and trans box getting reset then it come back to normal. The other driver behind me never see a car can dance in his whole life long. even me, I never experience driving a car like riding. I wont send this to dealer because it very hard to repro and I also see many people have this same issues. looks like the only one option to me is trading in this car for other band. hope this can help someone if you really wanna buy a RX500h.
Old 02-05-24, 06:44 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Take it to dealer, there are 2 TSB out for the issue. Give the below numbers and they should be able to apply both.
  • 100000 POWER TRAIN

RECORD_ID: 4431862

Bulletin Number: LSB005923

Replacement Service Bulletin Number: N/A

NHTSA Item Number: 10247801

Date Posted: 11-08-23

Component Name: 100000 POWER TRAIN

Make: LEXUS

Model: RX

Year: 2023

Date Added: 12-25-23

Summary: TSB: Some 2023 model year RX 500h vehicles may exhibit a vibration or shudder sensation from the transmission in Drive and/or Reverse at speeds under 8mph (13kph). This condition is present only when the internal combustion engine is engage
  • 106000 POWER TRAIN: AXLE ASSEMBLY

RECORD_ID: 4324995

Bulletin Number: L-TT-0328-23 Rev

NHTSA Item Number: 10245452

Date Posted: 10-06-23

Component Name: 106000 POWER TRAIN: AXLE ASSEMBLY

Date Added: 11-27-23

Summary: TT: Some 2023MY RX500h may require a transaxle and transmission control module (TCU) replacement for low-speed vibration from Transaxle and/or DTC for P084000/P084087.

060000 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

RECORD_ID: 4431861

Bulletin Number: LSB005923

NHTSA Item Number: 10247801

Date Posted: 11-08-23

Component Name: 060000 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Date Added: 12-25-23

Summary: TSB: Some 2023 model year RX 500h vehicles may exhibit a vibration or shudder sensation from the transmission in Drive and/or Reverse at speeds under 8mph (13kph). This condition is present only when the internal combustion engine is engage

Last edited by John89; 02-05-24 at 07:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris442 (04-30-24)
Old 02-05-24, 05:23 PM
roadanywhere
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Louis500h
So update for everyone. Went o dealership again and left the car for a couple days and again they couldn't replicate the issue. So they sent me home.

Couple days ago I get a call from my service advisor saying there is a bulletin from Lexus Canada for RX500h regarding "transaxel" but they want me to go in so they can look at the serial number on the transaxel to see if it's one of the ones with issues. Apparently they can't tell from the VIN.

Btw, I was able to get the juddering/jerking issues on video the other day as I rolled to stop. I'm gonna be showing the video to the tech at Lexus also. Unfortunately, the forum is not allowing me to post it here.

Thanks for your sharing , I have the same issues like you have, it happened twice and my car is 6000 miles. my car produced in May and dealer cannot repro it. I don't know what should I do at this point. Please keep sharing and help someone like me. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-05-24, 05:30 PM
roadanywhere
7th Gear

Thanks, today I stopped by Lexus Bellevue and they wont see any TSB and they told me I can leave the car to them and they have to repro it first so dead end again!
Old 02-22-24, 08:08 AM
halimak87
1st Gear

Default VIOLENT JERKING RX500h

Yes, this happened to me. After it happened the wrench light turned on. I took it to the dealer. They tell me no "codes" came up and it's fine. They sent me home. I wish I had a video. This is unacceptable!!!

Originally Posted by im333
This only seems to occur in Normal or Sport modes and when either starting off from stationary or coming to a stop.

Does anyone else have this? It almost feels as if the car is using the cameras/sensors to preemptively force brake, but almost like an ABS pump rapidly firing. The whole car judders.
Old 02-29-24, 04:06 PM
lil0ne4
1st Gear

Hey! Have you had any updates? It sounds like we’ve been having the same issue. I’ve gone in to Lexus service multiple times for my car violently jerking when the car has come to a stop, but of course they needed the problem to be recreated. They told me to install a dash cam to catch the incident and I have caught it on cam on two additional incidents. I brought the footage in for them today, and guess what - they still wanted the problem to be recreated. So what was the point of me buying their dash cam like they suggested and getting footage of it?! I don’t feel safe driving the car at all anymore and I told them that. They’re now keeping my car and supposedly escalating the issue to “top Lexus engineers” to find a solution…just curious if you have gotten anywhere with Lexus and your car?
Old 03-01-24, 07:04 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Hopefully your dealer will 'listen' if you provide them with a written log of jerking/juddering occurrences. Also, give them the TSB reference, which contains the solution.

Offer to call Lexus Customer Service for them, too.
Old 03-06-24, 11:50 PM
Louis500h
9th Gear

My RX500h is now sitting at the dealership in Vancouver, Canada awaiting a new transmission. It could be weeks, months before they can get one. So they rented me a car. Currently hauling *** in a RAV4.

Do I have any recourse here? Can I return the car and get my money back somehow? I mean, I understand a recall, but this is an entire transmission and it could be a very long time...

​​​​​​Thanks for any advise in advance.
Chris442 (04-30-24)
Old 03-06-24, 11:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

https://www.camvap.ca/

Make sure you document as much as possible. Take notes and keep any documents the dealer gives you. Email correspondence is very helpful.
Louis500h (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 09:31 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

My RX500h is now sitting at the dealership in Vancouver, Canada awaiting a new transmission. It could be weeks, months before they can get one. So they rented me a car. Currently hauling *** in a RAV4.

Do I have any recourse here? Can I return the car and get my money back somehow? I mean, I understand a recall, but this is an entire transmission and it could be a very long time...

Sorry to hear! Also sucks if you still are making loan payments on the car and you can't drive it! I am hoping the best for you! Before my 500h we had a Rav4 Hybrid and it was an awesome carefree car! And missing the 38mpgs on it too!
Old 03-07-24, 04:00 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

What model year? Regency by any chance?

Quick Reply: RX500h possible transmission issue