Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

RX500h possible transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 12:38 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
It's the other alerts that OP didn't show in the hybrid and AWD system that concern me. It's likely more than just the sensors.
gosh, you are right. I did not notice the other alerts, just read the large one on right. No telling what the issue is with all those alerts.
Old 05-21-24, 05:03 AM
Gus68
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Day 2 at dealer and no word yet but will update as soon as I know. I also started a case with Lexus in the event it is a full blown transmission failure. I would ask that they replace my car with a new one rather than slap on a “new” transmission that’s just likely to cause the same or even other problems down the road. If need be I’ll be reaching out to an attorney that is experienced in handling lemon laws as well.
Old 05-21-24, 03:23 PM
Gus68
Rookie

Update, day two at dealer, called to find out if they have any update. They did. I need a completely new transmission. Their foreman says it’s a slightly different software but sounds like the same transmission. Not sure how the same transmission solves the problem, won’t this just keep happening?

Have a case pending with Lexus Corporate to initiate a buyback. Need to find a lemon law attorney too I guess. This really sucks. I really wanted to like this car and have it for a long time. Assuming they’ll buy it back, not sure what I’d even be interested in at this point. Probably the BMW X5 or a who knows. I dont’ even trust the 5th gen Lexus RX at this point to downgrade to a 350h or 350, God I miss that reliable V6. There is clearly something majorly wrong with the RX 500h and its transmission. This isn’t just a 2023 problem, my car was built in February 2024 - AFTER the temporary stop on production to allegedly fix the issue.

Last edited by Gus68; 05-21-24 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-21-24, 04:09 PM
Gus68
Rookie

Add me to the Lexus RX 500h failed transmission list. Car was built in February 2024, purchased new by me on April 15th. Transmission failure at 1,614 miles with normal driving on May 20th. Had to tow it to the dealership, after two days they told me they have to put in a completely new transmission, pretty much the same transmission as before with no material changes other than I guess a software change.

Can't say that I trust that this will be a reliable solution. My last 2009 Lexus RX 350 was slow but reliable as hell 15 years long before I traded it in for this catastrophe. Not happy, not happy at all. At this point, no idea how long it's going to take. I've at least initiated a case with Lexus Corporate to see if they'll either buy it back and make me whole or give me a different car.
Old 05-21-24, 04:40 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus68
Add me to the Lexus RX 500h failed transmission list. Car was built in February 2024, purchased new by me on April 15th. Transmission failure at 1,614 miles with normal driving on May 20th. Had to tow it to the dealership, after two days they told me they have to put in a completely new transmission, pretty much the same transmission as before with no material changes other than I guess a software change.

Can't say that I trust that this will be a reliable solution. My last 2009 Lexus RX 350 was slow but reliable as hell 15 years long before I traded it in for this catastrophe. Not happy, not happy at all. At this point, no idea how long it's going to take. I've at least initiated a case with Lexus Corporate to see if they'll either buy it back and make me whole or give me a different car.
Wow so this far into production and they've still not resolved that issue. So sorry for the owners.
Old 05-21-24, 04:49 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

This sucks. Tranny issues were identified in early 2023 for the 500H. A model year later and this is still happening. I suppose it is possible fixes were implemented on the new tranny but I have not read anything confirming this.

It seems to me just modifying software is an attempt to obscure poor tranny design.
Old 05-22-24, 08:12 AM
Gus68
Rookie

sorry for some repetitive posts, it looks like the moderators merged my other thread into this one now that my issue was confirmed to be a transmission failure on the 500h. Will update as I have more information on what Lexus is going to do about it because I'm not keeping a car that failed at 1,600 miles regardless of the "repair" they do. Especially not one that costs this much.

Hoping my resolution is similar to the one posted earlier by another user.
Old 05-23-24, 07:36 PM
Drumr13
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Drove the car in full sport mode today, haven't done so since purchased 3/30. Didn't feel any juddering etc when coming to a stop but did get a pretty decent clunk when switching from drive to reverse to pull in garage. Also too did notice how I'd have to be at a full stop to get to 1st gear but again didn't notice any real issues there.

Overall, clunk aside, not impressed with sport mode at al, doesn't seem refined and when stoppi,ng car seems to be hunting for gears.

To my MPGs detriment, I'll drive in sport mode for a bit and see how the car behaves
Old 05-24-24, 04:41 AM
Gus68
Rookie

Really at a crossroads here, do I push Lexus to replace the car with the exact same one or simply do a full buyback making me whole and just walk away. I really fear that there is a fatal design flaw in the 500h transmission that will resurface on any replacement as much as I want to believe this was just an isolated case and the car design is actually fine.
Old 05-24-24, 08:18 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

Really at a crossroads here, do I push Lexus to replace the car with the exact same one or simply do a full buyback making me whole and just walk away. I really fear that there is a fatal design flaw in the 500h transmission that will resurface on any replacement as much as I want to believe this was just an isolated case and the car design is actually fine.
I wouldn't go with another 500H, and it may take them forever to get that transmission. After cancelling my order in 23 for it, I was tempted to get one now as the prices were very much reduced and figured issue had be fixed by now. However when I went back to dealer they still had ones sitting there as at that time which were 24's and they couldn't even get the replacement transmission for weeks the writer told me. They think it something with power that glitches and blows them out, believe grand highlander had similar issue so they reduced the power.

If you really like the Lexus RX, I look at 450H as the rebates are really good or what I did back in 2023 I got F sport ICE still got AVS suspension, 6 position brakes and have no issues with power. I would drive both of them, if your like me and want AVS and big brake upgrade with sporty seats get ICS F sport it isn't slow at all. Doesn't have that CVT whine when flooring it either. Your still get same MPG you get on 500H.

Defiantly play hard ball, and document everything and they will give option as again I doubt they will have that new transmission in stock soon.

The following users liked this post:
Gus68 (05-24-24)
Old 06-01-24, 06:35 AM
Gus68
Rookie

Update, it’s June 1st, I’ve had to call dealer for any update on my car and found out that maybe my transmission willl be delivered end of June. (They’d had the car since 5/20 when this transmission failure happened). Only response I got from Lexus Corporate was a cover letter asking me to send them any details on aftermarket stuff I did on car (other than floor mats and cargo liners, there wasn’t). Sent that to them on 5/28 along with my request to discuss options which include either 1) buy back car and make me whole, 2) replace the car with an exact same one, or 3) repair my car and extend the warranty. So far no response, no acknowledgment of my email, nothing. I had asked the manager of the Lexus dealership to call me three times, they’ve ignored me and had my original sales person call me to tell me “it’s a process and be patient”. Certainly not the stellar, friendly, white glove service others have experienced when they had this exact problem. I’m looking for an attorney at this point because I have no faith that Lexus will offer me anything other than to repair my faulty vehicle and send me on my merry little way. I’m so disappointed in Lexus and especially in that dealership which I’ve been a customer of for over 15 years. Absolute disappointment.
Old 06-01-24, 07:21 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 661 Likes on 448 Posts

I had asked the manager of the Lexus dealership to call me three times, they’ve ignored me and had my original sales person call me to tell me “it’s a process and be patient”.
Nothing they can really do for you anyway, it's all in the hands of Lexus corporate.
Old 06-01-24, 07:32 AM
Gus68
Rookie

Originally Posted by Urlik
Nothing they can really do for you anyway, it's all in the hands of Lexus corporate.
I guess you’re right. Still waiting for Lexus Corporate to follow up with me after initial letter they sent me and my response with items they requested. Regardless, I have also contacted an attorney specializing in Lemon Laws in my state just in case. In IL it’s either they try and fix it up to 4 times or car is out for 30 days. My car will most likely meet the more than 30 days trigger.
Old 06-01-24, 11:38 AM
beach109
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I guess you’re right. Still waiting for Lexus Corporate to follow up with me after initial letter they sent me and my response with items they requested. Regardless, I have also contacted an attorney specializing in Lemon Laws in my state just in case. In IL it’s either they try and fix it up to 4 times or car is out for 30 days. My car will most likely meet the more than 30 days trigger.
Good move. I'm 4 months into a Lexus "Lemon Law vs. me" email chain, and absolutely zero response or follow up, even after an engineer flew out to do the "final attempt" on my GX. Literally they never respond, ever. 16 years ago had to lemon a GM vehicle, and went through BBB Autoline. Massively faster process, and better response back then from GM. Lexus has been...odd. You'd think if they sent you the official docs in January 2024...by June 2024 you'd know something. But in my case nada, nothing.

Part of the issue is corporate US customer service (GREAT), transfers these cases to the regional offices (in my case the California western office) and those teams operate very differently, if they respond at all.

Good to try this way pre lawyer, but at this point, over it and will be doing the same. Stuff happens at all car brands (yes, even Toyota & Lexus), but response matters.
Gus68 (06-01-24)
Old 06-01-24, 02:10 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beach109
Good move. I'm 4 months into a Lexus "Lemon Law vs. me" email chain, and absolutely zero response or follow up, even after an engineer flew out to do the "final attempt" on my GX. Literally they never respond, ever. 16 years ago had to lemon a GM vehicle, and went through BBB Autoline. Massively faster process, and better response back then from GM. Lexus has been...odd. You'd think if they sent you the official docs in January 2024...by June 2024 you'd know something. But in my case nada, nothing.

Part of the issue is corporate US customer service (GREAT), transfers these cases to the regional offices (in my case the California western office) and those teams operate very differently, if they respond at all.

Good to try this way pre lawyer, but at this point, over it and will be doing the same. Stuff happens at all car brands (yes, even Toyota & Lexus), but response matters.
I would definitely get a lawyer if they are unresponsive. A good lawyer will first threaten with legal action which usually does the trick because Lexus Corp. knows if the lawyer pursues legal action, it will be more than just getting a refund for the car purchase, but also loss of use, attorney fees, etc.

What bugs me is that seems to be no fix, simply replacing defective parts with new defective parts. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I read on another thread that the dealer told the customer a software update to address transmission failures would reduce the power which would prevent transmission failures. This seems ridiculous. Why would I agree to having less power? What if I tow a trailer? Is the tranny really that fragile?

Last edited by chuckNX; 06-01-24 at 02:14 PM.
Gus68 (06-01-24)

Quick Reply: RX500h possible transmission issue