Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

RX500h possible transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-24, 04:26 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

Does Lexus use Jatco transmissions?
Old 06-22-24, 06:33 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
Does Lexus use Jatco transmissions?
Thankfully, NO.

I have also experienced the kick that seems to stem from cut over from hybrid electric to the gas engine.
We get that too, but it is no more intrusive than an ICE automatic downshifting when you accelerate away from a stop. (Several of our cars w/automatics stay in SECOND to minimize creep at a light) Not an issue.
I think this is an opportunity to use this seldom-seen Smilie: .
Old 06-29-24, 05:46 AM
Gus68
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm almost through this entire ordeal with the failed transmission on my original RX 500h which is still sitting at the dealer awaiting a replacement transmission which must be on back order because they're isn't even an updated delivery date for the parts other than saying late June. Doesn't get much later than this.

Anyway, Lexus agreed to either repurchase or replace my vehicle. Because the Illinois Lemon Laws do not require them to refund me for sales tax, leaving that up to me to fight with Illinois Dept of Revenue (no thanks), I opted to have the car replaced with an exact match and all the installed options I had. Only problem was, trying to find a Cloudburst Gray with kick sensor tow prep package and hitch was difficult. They could have ordered one but that apparently could have taken up to 4 months or more for me to receive the new car. I offered to consider Caviar instead and they did find one with a few missing items that can be installed at dealer, (convenience package, mud guards, etc). For the $500 difference in paint, they are adding paint protection film for me which I think is usually more to install so I think that's a fair exchange. (anyone know what the usual cost is for paint protection film?).

I received the replacement offer in writing today, signed and sent it back. The car is at the dealer which I was able to at least visually inspect. I'll be sure to test drive it before hand. I am kind of bummed about not having the gray as I really thought it was a nice contrast with the black trim bits but the black looks really good in person, pics don't do it justice. My last RX was obsidian but caviar has the flecks in it and looks better I think. I can live with the black vs gray, not a big deal. In fact since the 500h is all blacked out anyway, I think I might like it better in the long run.

Hoping this all gets wrapped up soon and I don't have the same problem with this new replacement. Overall, Lexus was pretty good to deal with and I'm so far very satisfied with the outcome.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gus68:
Chris442 (06-29-24), Julius071 (07-01-24)
Old 06-29-24, 11:00 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

Im glad you are getting good middleman service by the dealer with this Lexus ordeal - which area/state are you in ?

Edit : looks like you are in Illinois -Chicago are then, wildly guessing

I cant imagine such good service from my purchasing dealer at all.
Old 06-29-24, 08:31 PM
Gus68
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wrinkle
Im glad you are getting good middleman service by the dealer with this Lexus ordeal - which area/state are you in ?

Edit : looks like you are in Illinois -Chicago are then, wildly guessing

I cant imagine such good service from my purchasing dealer at all.
Yes I’m in Illinois. West of Chicago. Have been a client of the dealership for over 15 years but it was really Lexus Corporare that’s handling things. Dealership has to let them take the lead. At first I didn’t quite understand that process.
Old 07-01-24, 06:00 PM
lisamw
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this happen in my '23 RX 500h. I had decelerated and was stopped at a stop light. I was looking at something in the passenger seat when it started. I thought the vehicle behind me bumped into the back of my car!

I told the Lexus service department about it today and they said they'd have to experience it in order to fix it.

It's the reason I joined this forum today! Thank you for posting about this!
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (07-04-24)
Old 07-01-24, 07:14 PM
lisamw
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my rx 500h in February of '23. The transmission problem didn't begin until April or May of '24. I wonder if the positive posts were from new owners. (The problem hadn't cropped up yet.)
Old 07-04-24, 05:30 PM
art2010
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picking up Monday brand new 2024 RX 500h with 100 miles on it. 1/24 build, test drive city/highway drive smooth. Hopefully no transmission issue on the road.
Old 07-12-24, 08:20 PM
Gus68
Driver School Candidate

Delivery Day, got my replacement RX 500H today, ironically the transmissions parts also arrived and had been installed by dealer on my lemon. Good luck to whoever buys that one in the auction. I actually am glad I got the caviar rather than stay with the cloudburst gray. I was not sure I’d like the black as much but honestly I think I like it better.

As a credit for the $500 difference in cost of paint, the dealership agreed to put front paint protection film on the front, 1/3 of the hood and the mirrors which I’m guessing woudl have been over $1,000 to install. So all is good, pray this one doesn’t have a bad transmission.
Old 07-14-24, 12:40 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus68
Delivery Day, got my replacement RX 500H today, ironically the transmissions parts also arrived and had been installed by dealer on my lemon. Good luck to whoever buys that one in the auction. I actually am glad I got the caviar rather than stay with the cloudburst gray. I was not sure I’d like the black as much but honestly I think I like it better.

As a credit for the $500 difference in cost of paint, the dealership agreed to put front paint protection film on the front, 1/3 of the hood and the mirrors which I’m guessing woudl have been over $1,000 to install. So all is good, pray this one doesn’t have a bad transmission.
Good luck with the new one, looks sharp - its always quite a torture to have to deal with the manufacturer and dealer (ask me, I used to own an Audi) - but its great you got a new one and Lexus took ownership of their clear guilt. One thing I really like about the 500H's is the factory "chrome delete" - I cannot understand why car makers put so much chrome needlessly in their cars.