Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.
View Poll Results: Would you purchase the Lexus NX350H again
Yes
80.00%
No
7.50%
Not sure yet.
12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy the NX350h again???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-23, 08:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

romer & midcow3, please let the moderator team do the moderating. If there is a serious issue with the thread drifting off topic then report the post for that and we will review.

Thank you for keeping disagreements polite, but no need to keep calling each other out.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
GS3Tek (12-13-23), websurfer (12-13-23)
Old 12-13-23, 09:54 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

What does everyone think about the base 10 speaker radio? Is it pretty bad for the bass?
Old 12-14-23, 06:36 AM
MaryG
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
What does everyone think about the base 10 speaker radio? Is it pretty bad for the bass?
No, the Lexus NX sound system is very good including the base but the ML is better. I would have gotten the ML but I didn’t have the option. I decided to reserve an allocated car rather than wait for a car that had the specs I wanted. Overall, I love my NX but I would have added a few additional accessories the ML being one. The sound system wasn’t a deal breaker for me. I’m not an audiophile. The 10 speaker v the ML didn’t sound all that different to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaryG:
romer (12-14-23), websurfer (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 06:56 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

The front door speakers are actually pretty good with bass, quite decent. The rear subwoofer however requires a very sensitive seismometer to detect anything up front. Pretty typical for Lexus I think. My old RX had the mid level sound system and its subwoofer was a pretender too. I can put my hand on my NX's sub for a heavy thumping bass song and the vibrate notification on my phone is 3X stronger. I put a small inexpensive amp to boost the power to the subwoofer and it does make it sound significantly better, but my issue now is the tonal quality of FM Radio vs SiriusXM vs Spotify via AA is different enough that if I set the amp perfectly for one, it doesn't sound best for another. I'm now thinking to dive a bit deeper and reroute my wiring to bring the amp up to the front where I can use the amp's freq cutoff and volume settings on the fly rather than trying to find a good balance by going into the truck each time to tune. The amp is pretty small so I can probably find a good spot. I also replaced the 2 front dash speakers with another inexpensive upgrade. After a few months of use and getting them broken in a bit, they certainly add some noticeable clarity once the volume hits 40 or higher. Below 30 its comparable to stock. I'm in about $200CAD so far and my own tinker time and I'd say its 30% better than stock.
The following 2 users liked this post by Droid13:
gamma742 (03-10-24), websurfer (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 09:00 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Lightbulb ML is awesome ennough said.

@websurfer I think there is a big difference between the ML and the base system, The lack of the ML audio system in the 450h+ is the main reason I went with a fully loaded luxury 350h instead. I am not sure what Lexus was thinking by not putting a better base system in the NX, such as the JBL which is offered in the up end Toyota vehicles. The JBL could have been offer as a Lexus first level upgrade over the base system. Several forum members have upgraded their audio systems from the base systems and their implementations look pretty stellar. I think they wear able to integrate most of the audio controls into the Lexus audio interface. In the past I had a Lexus CT200h and spent about $3,000 to have the audio system professionally upgraded. I I really like good clean, crisp high-level audio. And contrary to a unfounded rumor, upgrading your low end with a big subwoofer is not an ideal solution for upgrading sound . The whole range of sound should be updated from tweeters, to mid range to low frequencies and yes, also the subwoofer for very low bass.

However, audio is somewhat similar to buying a house. Even though the neighborhood is mainly three car garages with occasional 4 car garage, some people could care l less about cars/garage and chose a 2-car garage. Similarly, there are some people who could car less about audio and go with the default minimum. As a matter of preference, Lexus demographics indicate most of their customers could car less about the audio quality and therefore put in a fairly low level common less expensive solution.

Here is to great audio.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 12-14-23, 10:23 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by midcow3
@websurfer I think there is a big difference between the ML and the base system, The lack of the ML audio system in the 450h+ is the main reason I went with a fully loaded luxury 350h instead. I am not sure what Lexus was thinking by not putting a better base system in the NX, such as the JBL which is offered in the up end Toyota vehicles. The JBL could have been offer as a Lexus first level upgrade over the base system. Several forum members have upgraded their audio systems from the base systems and their implementations look pretty stellar. I think they wear able to integrate most of the audio controls into the Lexus audio interface. In the past I had a Lexus CT200h and spent about $3,000 to have the audio system professionally upgraded. I I really like good clean, crisp high-level audio. And contrary to a unfounded rumor, upgrading your low end with a big subwoofer is not an ideal solution for upgrading sound . The whole range of sound should be updated from tweeters, to mid range to low frequencies and yes, also the subwoofer for very low bass.

However, audio is somewhat similar to buying a house. Even though the neighborhood is mainly three car garages with occasional 4 car garage, some people could care l less about cars/garage and chose a 2-car garage. Similarly, there are some people who could car less about audio and go with the default minimum. As a matter of preference, Lexus demographics indicate most of their customers could car less about the audio quality and therefore put in a fairly low level common less expensive solution.

Here is to great audio.

YMMV,
MidCow3

@midcow3 I hear you. I have ML on my GS and not sure if the NX base system will satisfy my audio needs. I guess I need to visit a dealer to test the base radio more. I tested the ML radio on the NX and it was pretty awesome. I felt the ML was even more crispy, cleaner than unit in my GS. However, I'm looking for a vehicle that sits higher with newer tech but I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade the luxury model pricing just yet. I think the key nowadays is fuel efficiency,
Old 12-14-23, 12:53 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

The ML was the only thing I wanted on the NX350h that I couldn't get in the Premier package. I didn't want to bump up to Luxury because I definitely didn't want the pano roof nor the 20" tires. So my 'don't wants' were more important than the desire for ML. Leather would have been fine (many decades since I haven't had leather in a car) but the NuLuxe is actually pretty nice. As others have noted the base sound system ranges from adequate to acceptable to 'I really like it' so hearing and refined listening skills vary widely. For me--I say the base system is fine. I'm okay with it. Would like the upgrade but sometimes we can't have it all. But I'm more than pleased with the car and repeating myself elsewhere--would definitely by the Premier again.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 01:40 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 155 Posts

Bought my wife a 24 NX350h in April, now at 5.4K miles she still loves it. I would buy it again for my daughter if she wants one later in life (she is only 14).
BTW, my wife's base trim was more than enough, all she wants is power rear door, moonroof and heated seat/steering wheel.
romer (12-14-23)
Old 12-15-23, 07:55 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

As I come up on 9 months with my NX and the initial newness and excitement kind of wears off a bit, I've been pondering this question would I do it again along with all my other ponderings of life and the universe in general. Long story short a 2023 Forester Limited was a serious contender before I ended up with the NX. After getting the NX we ended up buying a CPO base Forester a few months later for my wife, but since we often share work commutes, I've ended up driving it more than she now since we've agreed the NX will stay safe in the garage on snowy or salty winter days. I have come to be reminded why I originally seriously considered a Forester for myself. Even though its noisier than the NX, less comfortable than the NX, and slower than the NX in other ways it is superior to the NX. It handles so well, takes corners so effortlessly, even though the engine has almost 100HP less than my NX it still feels super responsive for around town driving despite the somewhat mechanical feel of its CVT vs Toyota's eCVTs. The AWD system is really unmatched in this class of vehicle. The visibility is excellent, the room inside makes the NX feel Corollaish (a bit anyway) even though its about the same size on the outside. Cargo space is much better. A few weeks ago used the Forester for a round trip between Toronto and NYC with 4 adults, 4 large suitcases and a bunch of medium sized bags. 18 hrs there and back and everyone was very happy (although I did use a gel/foam cushion as the driver seat is too firm for me). I managed 7.5L/100km (31mpg) on this trip which is excellent for a non-hybrid and the fact that it was literally packed to the roof with people and luggage and it effortlessly handled the hills of northern NY and PA. The NX could not have done this trip. We are very happy with the Forester even though its a base model, a loaded one would have been sweet. I really did miss the NX's digital camera most of all on this trip as I had zero view out the rear view mirror.

My NX is faster, much quieter, probably going to be more reliable, more comfortable, more sophisticated, smoother, better looking, chicks dig me now (I wish). Even the simple things like the auto back driver seat is a big deal to me as I near 60. One of the main reasons I discounted the Forester was that it had the least powerful motor in its class. I thought that would really annoy me, but the wife's car proves that it doesn't at all. If I had to go back in time and knowing what I know now, its a good chance I would still go with the NX, but it would have been a much tougher choice. I am very happy we have the Forester as a second car now when life calls for it.
midcow3 (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 08:53 AM
romer
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Don't know how I missed it but there is a Poll at the top of this thread re: would you buy the NX350h again.
Old 12-15-23, 10:00 AM
midcow3
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by Droid13
As I come up on 9 months with my NX and the initial newness and excitement kind of wears off a bit, I've been pondering this question would I do it again along with all my other ponderings of life and the universe in general. Long story short a 2023 Forester Limited was a serious contender before I ended up with the NX. After getting the NX we ended up buying a CPO base Forester a few months later for my wife, but since we often share work commutes, I've ended up driving it more than she now since we've agreed the NX will stay safe in the garage on snowy or salty winter days. I have come to be reminded why I originally seriously considered a Forester for myself. Even though its noisier than the NX, less comfortable than the NX, and slower than the NX in other ways it is superior to the NX. It handles so well, takes corners so effortlessly, even though the engine has almost 100HP less than my NX it still feels super responsive for around town driving despite the somewhat mechanical feel of its CVT vs Toyota's eCVTs. The AWD system is really unmatched in this class of vehicle. The visibility is excellent, the room inside makes the NX feel Corollaish (a bit anyway) even though its about the same size on the outside. Cargo space is much better. A few weeks ago used the Forester for a round trip between Toronto and NYC with 4 adults, 4 large suitcases and a bunch of medium sized bags. 18 hrs there and back and everyone was very happy (although I did use a gel/foam cushion as the driver seat is too firm for me). I managed 7.5L/100km (31mpg) on this trip which is excellent for a non-hybrid and the fact that it was literally packed to the roof with people and luggage and it effortlessly handled the hills of northern NY and PA. The NX could not have done this trip. We are very happy with the Forester even though its a base model, a loaded one would have been sweet. I really did miss the NX's digital camera most of all on this trip as I had zero view out the rear view mirror.

My NX is faster, much quieter, probably going to be more reliable, more comfortable, more sophisticated, smoother, better looking, chicks dig me now (I wish). Even the simple things like the auto back driver seat is a big deal to me as I near 60. One of the main reasons I discounted the Forester was that it had the least powerful motor in its class. I thought that would really annoy me, but the wife's car proves that it doesn't at all. If I had to go back in time and knowing what I know now, its a good chance I would still go with the NX, but it would have been a much tougher choice. I am very happy we have the Forester as a second car now when life calls for it.
Nice writeup

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 12-15-23, 10:16 AM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

This is an impressive outcome for such a poll with 80% saying they’d do it again. Especially given that folks that hang out in forums tend to be more demanding.
romer (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 10:19 AM
websurfer
Racer

For the NX, I'm just worried about the run-flat tires and base radio. The base radio maybe would work but the run-flat tires, probably the bigger issue since there's not much room in the cargo area if I were to carry a spare if I change to conventional tires. RF are hard to find in my area so it maybe 3-5 days avg. Did anyone have nightmares with RF tires?
Old 12-15-23, 01:37 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb Get the nX , Don't worry about standard audio or RFTs

For the NX, I'm just worried about the run-flat tires and base radio. The base radio maybe would work but the run-flat tires, probably the bigger issue since there's not much room in the cargo area if I were to carry a spare if I change to conventional tires. RF are hard to find in my area so it maybe 3-5 days avg. Did anyone have nightmares with RF tires?
@websurfer Just MHO, the RF tires aren't all they are made out to be. They will possibly save you from minor punctures, but again IMHO RFTs really don't buy you all that much. I have been buying cars for a long, long time, actually bought my first new car 53 years ago. In the "ole" days tires were really crappy and you had blow-outs and tires had to be replaced very frequently. Every car had a jack and a spare tire and you had to replace tires often. Tires and tire quality began improving and 15-20 years ago ( yes that long ago) a lot of car companies began to quit providing a spare tire and instead provided an air pump ( or a compressed air can) and sealant. Why? Because tires did not fail as often. Tires continue to get better and better. From an economic and practical sense spares tires was an unused unneeded piece of equipment and extra weight and space. However, people still needed the security blanket of having a way to get to a tire store to fix a flat or repair/replace a tire. So the run flat tire was invented. Since a nail or an air leak was usually the main flat problem, run flat tires could be driven up to 50 miles at a lower speed 50 mph to a tire store for repair/replacement. Run flat tires had to be much heavier and noisier. RFT s have been improved and are much less heavy and quieter. RFTs are still a security blanket. Every tire has significantly improved and many have 50,000 60,000 even 70,000 mile warranties. Tires don't fail like they used too. For the minor leaks, you now have TPMS which tells you when a tire pressure drops ( yes, you should be checking it your self). So you air up the tire ( regular air is fine , Nitrogen filled is a whole other topic of the small improvement it makes) . Sometimes it is only because you pressure is low due to cold morning temperature. If you keep having problems with pressure drop you replace the tire.

So after my diatribe here is my recommendation again IMHO:

(1) The base audio system sounds very good.

(2) RFTs should not be a consideration at all. Use the OEM RFTs until they wear down and then replace with normal non RFTs; that is what. I plan to do. If you are not comfortable about not having a spare, get a Modern Tire Spare https://modernspare.com/product/2024...e-kit-options/ . I bought the kit with cover and jack, but it is now in my garage attic.

Good Luck,

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S.- The only bad flat I had in the last 10 years was about 5 years ago on the last of an exit ramp where my Golf R hit a pothole. I was going slow maybe 25-30 and it bent the rim so bad the tire and rim had to be replaced.

P.S.S. - My obsession wilt ML is because I am somewhat of an autophile and tend to overrate audio quality, sorry
Old 12-15-23, 01:51 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb 80% of NX owners on forum is good

Originally Posted by anoop
This is an impressive outcome for such a poll with 80% saying they’d do it again. Especially given that folks that hang out in forums tend to be more demanding.
Yes, from the poll it would seem to be that people love the NX. However, realize the set of poll is extremely biased; people who join the NX forum are normally NX owners or people who are considering being NX owners. The people who didn't like the NX have long since left this forum and gone on and bought.

The NX 2nd gen is a dramatic improvement over the NX 1rst gen and is a phenomenal car. There were a couple new release bugs especially in the software keys, but otherwise super introduction on gen 2.

Peace and Goodwill

YMMV,

MidCow3

P.S. - One of my favorite books and a good read: "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darrell Huff

Last edited by midcow3; 12-15-23 at 01:54 PM. Reason: type O

Quick Reply: Would you buy the NX350h again???