Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.
View Poll Results: Would you purchase the Lexus NX350H again
Yes
80.00%
No
7.50%
Not sure yet.
12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy the NX350h again???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-23, 02:38 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by anoop
This is an impressive outcome for such a poll with 80% saying they’d do it again. Especially given that folks that hang out in forums tend to be more demanding.
Based on my experience on these forums spanning decades I'd say your use of the term 'demanding' is quite generous.
Old 12-15-23, 02:44 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
@websurfer Just MHO, the RF tires aren't all they are made out to be. They will possibly save you from minor punctures, but again IMHO RFTs really don't buy you all that much. I have been buying cars for a long, long time, actually bought my first new car 53 years ago. In the "ole" days tires were really crappy and you had blow-outs and tires had to be replaced very frequently. Every car had a jack and a spare tire and you had to replace tires often. Tires and tire quality began improving and 15-20 years ago ( yes that long ago) a lot of car companies began to quit providing a spare tire and instead provided an air pump ( or a compressed air can) and sealant. Why? Because tires did not fail as often. Tires continue to get better and better. From an economic and practical sense spares tires was an unused unneeded piece of equipment and extra weight and space. However, people still needed the security blanket of having a way to get to a tire store to fix a flat or repair/replace a tire. So the run flat tire was invented. Since a nail or an air leak was usually the main flat problem, run flat tires could be driven up to 50 miles at a lower speed 50 mph to a tire store for repair/replacement. Run flat tires had to be much heavier and noisier. RFT s have been improved and are much less heavy and quieter. RFTs are still a security blanket. Every tire has significantly improved and many have 50,000 60,000 even 70,000 mile warranties. Tires don't fail like they used too. For the minor leaks, you now have TPMS which tells you when a tire pressure drops ( yes, you should be checking it your self). So you air up the tire ( regular air is fine , Nitrogen filled is a whole other topic of the small improvement it makes) . Sometimes it is only because you pressure is low due to cold morning temperature. If you keep having problems with pressure drop you replace the tire.

So after my diatribe here is my recommendation again IMHO:

(1) The base audio system sounds very good.

(2) RFTs should not be a consideration at all. Use the OEM RFTs until they wear down and then replace with normal non RFTs; that is what. I plan to do. If you are not comfortable about not having a spare, get a Modern Tire Spare https://modernspare.com/product/2024...e-kit-options/ . I bought the kit with cover and jack, but it is now in my garage attic.

Good Luck,

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S.- The only bad flat I had in the last 10 years was about 5 years ago on the last of an exit ramp where my Golf R hit a pothole. I was going slow maybe 25-30 and it bent the rim so bad the tire and rim had to be replaced.

P.S.S. - My obsession wilt ML is because I am somewhat of an autophile and tend to overrate audio quality, sorry
Your experience with your last flat shows the importance of a spare. If there was none and the rim was damaged, you’d have to wait till you could get a new rim. Also in most cases, when you have a flat that is not repairable, you need 4 tires with an AWD car.
The following 2 users liked this post by anoop:
romer (12-15-23), websurfer (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 03:31 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Yes, from the poll it would seem to be that people love the NX. However, realize the set of poll is extremely biased; people who join the NX forum are normally NX owners or people who are considering being NX owners. The people who didn't like the NX have long since left this forum and gone on and bought.

The NX 2nd gen is a dramatic improvement over the NX 1rst gen and is a phenomenal car. There were a couple new release bugs especially in the software keys, but otherwise super introduction on gen 2.

Peace and Goodwill

YMMV,

MidCow3

P.S. - One of my favorite books and a good read: "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darrell Huff

Yes, the new gen2 is better in many ways. Also, not everyone with a bad experience would like to share that on the nx forum. If we had 1000 responses than it's more real. The NX hybrids are selling like crazy in most dealers though.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 03:39 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Yes, the new gen2 is better in many ways. Also, not everyone with a bad experience would like to share that on the nx forum. If we had 1000 responses than it's more real. The NX hybrids are selling like crazy in most dealers though.
My two Lexus dealerships can walk in today and buy a gas long wait for a hybrid. The NX this year is the second most popular selling luxury SUV behind #1 the RX. Third is the MDX.
romer (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 04:05 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Exclamation

Your experience with your last flat shows the importance of a spare. If there was none and the rim was damaged, you’d have to wait till you could get a new rim. Also in most cases, when you have a flat that is not repairable, you need 4 tires with an AWD car.
This was after Hurricane Harvey. I was helping out a brother-in-law. I had the spare but the wheel lock wasn't in the car. Some how all the car stuff had got taken put when we were loading with hurricane stuff. I had to have the car flat bed towed anyway. Once 10 years is not a reason for a spare. The spare is not really important, so iI respectfully disagree. A new rim was available immediately at VW. On AWD it depends on the wear; you are correct all need to be replaced if there is medium or significant wear from new. I had about 5,000 miles on the tires and only put one new tire on. Each case is different.

My main point, tires rarely fail. One failure in 10 years is a very, very low failure rate. Again you may be of a different opinion and that is okay.

Peace.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - The rim and tire failure was due to poor Houston road maintenance not really the fault of the tire. Just freak low probability occurrence.
Old 12-15-23, 04:14 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Freds430
My two Lexus dealerships can walk in today and buy a gas long wait for a hybrid. The NX this year is the second most popular selling luxury SUV behind #1 the RX. Third is the MDX.
Interestingly, C&D has the NX in 10th place among subcompact luxury SUVs, and the RX in 12th place for compact luxury SUV.

Old 12-15-23, 04:25 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Interestingly, C&D has the NX in 10th place among subcompact luxury SUVs, and the RX in 12th place for compact luxury SUV.
Consumer Reports has the RX 350H #1 in the midsize luxury SUV category and the NX350h #1 in the small luxury SUV category. They rate the NX 350h as the best buy over $45,000.
Old 12-15-23, 04:28 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

I had another vehicle in 2019 and purchased a spare. My other friend insisted on getting that spare since bad timing happens. Luckily, 2 weeks after, I had a flat. Given I had that spare, I was able to drive down to America's Tire and get that tire replaced. Otherwise, I had to wait for a tow. The tire was damaged on the sidewall so it's not repairable.
I read RF can be driven for 100 miles but it's not repairable.
Old 12-15-23, 04:42 PM
midcow3
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by websurfer
I ...
I read RF can be driven for 100 miles but it's not repairable.
Sometimes. If it is puncture and not sidewall damage it may be repairable. Certain RF tire issues are not repairable. Most case they say 50 mile on RF, maybe 100 as you say in some cases. Case-by-case; it may be reusable.

I some cases non-RF are repairable. Some case they are not. A slow leak or even medium leak you can drive to Tire store. Completely flat, NO

So I go to Discount Tire and rotate every 5,000 miles and have them check tires. When they say replace I replace.

Good Luck

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 12-15-23, 04:48 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Sometimes. If it is puncture and not sidewall damage it may be repairable. Certain RF tire issues are not repairable. Most case they say 50 mile on RF, maybe 100 as you say in some cases. Case-by-case; it may be reusable.

I some cases non-RF are repairable. Some case they are not. A slow leak or even medium leak you can drive to Tire store. Completely flat, NO

So I go to Discount Tire and rotate every 5,000 miles and have them check tires. When they say replace I replace.

Good Luck

YMMV,
MidCow3
If my memory serves me right from my days of RFT, once it has been driven on with no or very low pressure for a decent length of time, it can’t be reused because the sidewall loses its strength.
romer (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 04:57 PM
midcow3
Racer

Thumbs up

If my memory serves me right from my days of RFT, once it has been driven on with no or very low pressure for a decent length of time, it can’t be reused because the sidewall loses its strength.
I think you are correct. Thanks for your clarification.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 01-04-24, 02:55 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Reviving the poll thread to see what some newer owners and even the older owners think.
Old 03-09-24, 08:29 PM
sm20202
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love this idea... would a typical donut spare fit in the rear storage space?

Originally Posted by Freds430
I have the Pirellis on my 2017 RX 450h for about 10,000 miles. Wearing well and drives very quietly. Tire Rack had them and the Michelins the top rated. Will do exactly what you said replace the run flats on our 2023 NX 350h with them.
Old 03-09-24, 08:54 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

sm20202

If you can find the right size donut I think that's a better idea than Modern Tire. I have the Modern Tire but it's bigger than a donut.
Old 03-10-24, 09:23 AM
SDCEB
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default We love our 2024 NX350h

I would absolutely buy the NX350h again. We have had our 2024 model with the Luxury package for a bit more than 6 months now. We absolutely love it. It has every feature that we want, it gets great mileage and looks great. The seats are very comfortable and we enjoy the Mark Levinson sound system.

We wanted the improved mileage of a hybrid, without the inconvenience of having to plug it in. Also, I don't believe we could ever make up the difference in price for the plug-in, in spite of its better gas mileage rating.

For us, the size of the NX is just right, vs the larger RX. It is a much better fit in our gara

Quick Reply: Would you buy the NX350h again???