Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Brake Actuator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 06:51 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Actuator Replacement

2006 Highlander Hybrid V6 AWD, 252,000 miles. Need to replace the brake actuator. I thought it would be an advanced DIY but when I was looking into ordering the unit from Toyota, I saw the following message: "This part must be programmed using the correct software. Check with your local dealership, or mechanic, to ensure they are able to initiate the actuator. This is NOT an at-home installation." This is the first time I am hearing something like this. Is there anyone in this forum who has performed this on a Toyota/Lexus Hybrid as a DIY? Need advice...thanks!!
Old 12-12-23, 08:34 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

You don't need to do anything special no programming, hardest part is getting the fluid to bleed sometimes it's easy other times not so much.

The following users liked this post:
SJM (02-12-24)
Old 12-12-23, 08:38 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Oh thanks!! I would hate to spend $1200 on a part try to do it myself to save on the labor, and have the job fail. I have a topdon scanner that will perform ABS bleeding. Anything else you can think of? Thanks for the video!!
Old 12-12-23, 08:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by colenzae
Anything else you can think of? Thanks for the video!!
Don't be like the guys in that video get a couple of cans of brake cleaner to prevent paint damage from any spills. They were constantly trying to sop up the fluid with shop towels. The job is not difficult at all most annoying part is fiddling with the brake lines.
SJM (02-12-24)
Old 12-12-23, 08:49 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

OK nice. I am confident I can pull this off but when I saw the quote from the Toyota dealer that I posted above I got a little spooked. I've learned that with a hybrid, never assume the job will be as straightforward as on an ICE vehicle. I've bled the brakes on a 2012 HS250H manually with no issue. Tried to do that on this highlander and got burned...when I manually pushed back the pistons on the rear brakes, the actuator failed.
Old 12-12-23, 09:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The actuator on these cars is a known weak spot you just pushed it over the edge it would have failed at some point anyway. I have the same Highlander as you same year about the same mileage I'm counting the days when the actuator goes south. So far so good maybe doing brake fluid swaps ever 3-4 years helps.
SJM (02-12-24)
Old 12-12-23, 09:08 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Yep, thats what I figured after discovering thru these forums that this model has failure prone actuators. Bought this car used so I don't know the hybrid battery history but thats in the back of my mind too. I know its inevitable but I hope I get some time between this repair and battery issues. Have you had to address anything with your hybrid battery yet?
Old 12-12-23, 09:16 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Only thing I've done is clean the fans/vents a few times. No issues with the hybrid battery pack if it ever fails I'll replace it they are not super expensive. This car his been stellar very reliable.
Old 12-12-23, 09:20 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Mine too....other than this actuator issue. What source will you use for a new battery? I think they are unobtanium from Toyota if Im not mistaken...also, have you had to re-solder the ribbon cable on your HVAC temp ****? I did mine a few months ago...heat would spike whenever I made a turn...
Old 12-12-23, 09:26 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by colenzae
What source will you use for a new battery? I think they are unobtanium from Toyota if Im not mistaken...
Not sure where I will get the high voltage battery if I ever need one, you are right no longer available from Toyota. Cab fleets that run Toyota hybrids are getting 500,000+ miles out of the hybrid battery.
also, have you had to re-solder the ribbon cable on your HVAC temp ****? I did mine a few months ago...heat would spike whenever I made a turn...
Yep mine failed. I got rid of the original ribbon and ran wires instead that are longer. Pro tip: used USB cable is a great source of small gauge wire.
Old 12-12-23, 09:29 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

I've heard these can last a while but 500k is bananas. I do intend to get in there and make sure there is no dust/pet hair clogging up the cooling fans. I know that has been a issue on Prius'
Old 12-12-23, 09:44 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

I don't know why the guys in the video are pumping the pedal and not using a scan tool to bleed the system. Its my understanding these cars are brake by wire so I don't think pumping the pedal like a conventional brake system is doing anything. I do intend to buy an Alldata subscription before attempting this...
Old 12-12-23, 09:52 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Pumping the pedal does nothing lol but I'll cut those dudes some slack they are not pros. There is a procedure to put the brake system into service mode without a scan tools Google says this:
turn the key to on, pump accelerator pedal twice, shift to neutral, pump accelerator twice again, back to park, pump pedal twice more and you are now in maintenance mode.
After that bleed via the screw on top of the ABS unit. Don't know if the above works.
Old 12-12-23, 09:56 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

That wil put the car into maintainance mode, I did that when I changed my inverter coolant. I'll see what the all data procedure is when I get the subscription. Thanks for all the advice and happy holidays ...
Old 12-13-23, 02:17 PM
dpleticha
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Supposed you can bleed the brakes with a paper clip!

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Pumping the pedal does nothing lol but I'll cut those dudes some slack they are not pros. There is a procedure to put the brake system into service mode without a scan tools Google says this:

After that bleed via the screw on top of the ABS unit. Don't know if the above works.
There are two pins on the ODB2 that you can short out with a paper clip that will allow you to bleed the brakes. Haven’t done it myself but it somewhere on this site if you look hard enough…

Quick Reply: Brake Actuator Replacement