Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

2024 NX 450h: Dead as a door knob

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23, 06:02 PM
2023NX350h
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had something like this happen. I was cleaning my 2023 350h in the garage and had the music playing (engine off). About 15mins later the car died....only headlights were working. Couldn't start car with the key held up against push button start. I tried jumping it with those portable battery pack things but it didn't work - tried battery in the front and back. Called Lexus roadside and they sent a tow truck. He used one of those high power battery pack things to jump start the car for me.
Old 12-23-23, 09:30 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Default brand of battery pack? and was it in ACC mode ?

Originally Posted by 2023NX350h
I had something like this happen. I was cleaning my 2023 350h in the garage and had the music playing (engine off). About 15mins later the car died....only headlights were working. Couldn't start car with the key held up against push button start. I tried jumping it with those portable battery pack things but it didn't work - tried battery in the front and back. Called Lexus roadside and they sent a tow truck. He used one of those high power battery pack things to jump start the car for me.
Now youve got me concerned about being in the same position.
I have a battery jumper pack which has started a Lexus SC430 V8 engine , why would a battery pack which only needs to power a computer not have enough juice to do that?
Was your car in ACC mode when the battery eventually went dead ?
Old 12-25-23, 02:03 AM
2023NX350h
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
Now youve got me concerned about being in the same position.
I have a battery jumper pack which has started a Lexus SC430 V8 engine , why would a battery pack which only needs to power a computer not have enough juice to do that?
Was your car in ACC mode when the battery eventually went dead ?
No idea....2 different people mentioned it takes more power tp jump these types of cars? One was the tow truck driver. I'm still using the old battery jumper pack that has the heavy batteries - lead acid? The tow truck driver had the new lithium ion Noco type.
Yes. I had it in ACC mode and was running the music.
Old 12-25-23, 02:29 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Thanks for the update 2023NX guy,
The jump start battery I have is also a Lithium based battery jumper type.
Looks like its time for me to get a second one for the NX also.
ACC mode.... tough lesson, will make sure I avoid it
Thanks
Old 12-25-23, 06:19 PM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
There are jump connection points under the hood.
And if those don't do the job, you get to crawl though the back and undo the hidden panel and release the latch from the inside. That's what I had to do when the 12v battery completely died overnight for no discernible reason. Trying to charge the battery from under the hood or jump-starting it was completely hopeless as the 12v battery was that dead. This occurred during some very cold weather exactly 1 year ago. Fun Xmas that one was.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 09:00 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

A2023LC500
what was the verdict on your dead battery issue? You mentioned you would let us know what the issue ended up being.

Last edited by Lexicon1; 01-04-24 at 09:01 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-04-24, 09:53 AM
RandallC
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Verdict: The dealer claimed there was nothing wrong, nothing defective, no reasons why (except that it was somehow our negligence), etc. Annoying, but based on the responses here on Club Lexus, it is clear to me that there is a fundamental flaw in the architecture of the entire system. At least there should be a warning - there are warnings for everything else. At best, when the car is in ACC mode, the 12V system should somehow be able to "draw" from the Traction Battery.
- Randall
Old 01-04-24, 10:05 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Susido
And if those don't do the job, you get to crawl though the back and undo the hidden panel and release the latch from the inside. That's what I had to do when the 12v battery completely died overnight for no discernible reason. Trying to charge the battery from under the hood or jump-starting it was completely hopeless as the 12v battery was that dead. This occurred during some very cold weather exactly 1 year ago. Fun Xmas that one was.
That was exactly what I had to do when I got my windows tinted. I had to crawl through to hook up the charger.

I sold my NX450H+ yesterday. No more problem. Took a $30K hit on the cost though.
Old 01-04-24, 10:14 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default SgtLip

[QUOTE=SgtLip;11643030]That was exactly what I had to do when I got my windows tinted. I had to crawl through to hook up the charger.

I sold my NX450H+ yesterday. No more problem. Took a $30K hit on the cost though.[/QTE]
Do you know if when they were doing the window tint that they had it in ACC mode? Likely?
Am having PPF in a few weeks, I will be leaving a large note on the vehicle so that they only leave it in READY mode if needed.
Hard to imagine you could not jump start the system via the hood charging port and had to crawl back to car rear battery.
Maybe I also need to bring my battery charger to the PPF installer just in case.....
Old 01-04-24, 02:10 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

[QUOTE=Lexicon1;11643039]
Originally Posted by SgtLip
That was exactly what I had to do when I got my windows tinted. I had to crawl through to hook up the charger.

I sold my NX450H+ yesterday. No more problem. Took a $30K hit on the cost though.[/QTE]
Do you know if when they were doing the window tint that they had it in ACC mode? Likely?
Am having PPF in a few weeks, I will be leaving a large note on the vehicle so that they only leave it in READY mode if needed.
Hard to imagine you could not jump start the system via the hood charging port and had to crawl back to car rear battery.
Maybe I also need to bring my battery charger to the PPF installer just in case.....
They had the large commercial charger and we attached to the bolts under the hood and let it set awhile. Nothing. Would not turn at all.
That was when I had to jump into the rear and hook it up. It sat for 5 minutes and jumped right over.

No idea what mode it was in. The key was laying in the wiper well. All doors were open as they were tinting all windows.

Remind them to NOT use a steel razor blade on the door windows. You and them will regret it if you do.

Old 01-04-24, 03:01 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by RandallC
Verdict: The dealer claimed there was nothing wrong, nothing defective, no reasons why (except that it was somehow our negligence), etc. Annoying, but based on the responses here on Club Lexus, it is clear to me that there is a fundamental flaw in the architecture of the entire system. At least there should be a warning - there are warnings for everything else. At best, when the car is in ACC mode, the 12V system should somehow be able to "draw" from the Traction Battery.
- Randall
Unfortunately, it's a safety feature. When in ACC mode, they disconnect the traction battery from the system so that there is no flow between the systems. The only time it's connected is when the car is running or charging. This is a problem with many BEVs, PHEVs on the market. Tesla would wake up the car and use the traction battery to charge up the 12V. I hope one day Lexus would push an update to allow something similar to happen.
Old 01-09-24, 10:50 AM
ptung07
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I fell victim to this issue on my 2022 NX 450h+. Awaiting Lexus Roadside.
Old 01-20-24, 01:44 PM
egandt
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just happened, I normally drive on battery (why I bought a hybrid), my normal daily trips are under 10 miles, over the last 2 weeks I went about 15 all on battery this morning DOA, seriously no warning nothing. Just a message unable to release parking break and that is it. Had to crawl into the back to check the battery was 0% charged and 5 volts (not even 12 output). Now this is a Hybrid, I replaced an outback as it ate a battery every 10 to 11 months, would have assumed a Lexus would be ok. Seriously why even have a 12V when I have 14KW! Normally I do about 60 miles a week, and of that only 5 to 10 is on the Engine, but none of that explains no warnings.
Old 01-20-24, 01:59 PM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by egandt
Just happened, I normally drive on battery (why I bought a hybrid), my normal daily trips are under 10 miles, over the last 2 weeks I went about 15 all on battery this morning DOA, seriously no warning nothing. Just a message unable to release parking break and that is it. Had to crawl into the back to check the battery was 0% charged and 5 volts (not even 12 output). Now this is a Hybrid, I replaced an outback as it ate a battery every 10 to 11 months, would have assumed a Lexus would be ok. Seriously why even have a 12V when I have 14KW! Normally I do about 60 miles a week, and of that only 5 to 10 is on the Engine, but none of that explains no warnings.
We-of-The-Low-Mileage-NXhybrid-Club feel your pain! My NX450 died twice in the first 300 miles of ownership. According to a friend, Lexus corporate can only advise us to complain to Brand Engagement at lexus.com by clicking on “support.” Or call (800) 255-3987. Lexus needs more complaints to make sure they push through fixes besides changing our lifestyles or trickle chargers. I was told the 12 volt they offer us is the only option for the NX, any attempt to put in a bigger battery will void the warranty if some electrical issue arises afterwards. Really crazy this defect hasn’t been addressed yet.
Old 01-20-24, 05:30 PM
Susido
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

With it warming up significantly, I finally swapped my completely dead Lexus 12v battery for an AGM battery sold by Costco (the only compatible battery they sell apparently). Same physical size, quite a bit more CCA. The original isn't AGM is it? Vehicle (350h) starts and runs OK now other than the engine light being on and the see dealer message constantly appearing. I understand the new battery will require some dealer programming to reset something or other. It's been a huge PITA, the second straight winter with the 12V battery failing completely and suddenly in cold temperatures. If I could afford to do so, we would be owning a different vehicle by the time next winter rolls around.

Quick Reply: 2024 NX 450h: Dead as a door knob