Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

2024 NX 450h: Dead as a door knob

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-24, 05:31 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I have read in regards to the RAV4 prime - if the car requires to heat up or cool down the battery, the 12V battery does get charged during that time while charging.
I would think the NX450h+ would be the same,, is it not?
Old 06-11-24, 02:47 PM
Bts10
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead battery issue

Just wanted to add my story. Purchased 2024 450H+ in May of 2023. Absolutely no issues with battery. Did 10k mile service early May 2024. At the same time, received my second key. Traveled and left car at airport the next week for 5 days (have done this at least 4 times in last year). Car dead when we arrived. Tried to do the jump in the front and it did not work. Quickly read the posts above and jumped the car by going directly to 12v battery in rear (after crawling through to open hatch). Worked right away. Drove car to dealer and they tested the battery and said it was ok.

The battery continued to show a parasitic drain and I had to jump it a couple more times over the next week. Read further posts - i figured the only electronic change was the new key. So - turned the smart key off on both fobs - the next morning - battery at 100%. Have not had an issue since. Also - I did connect a battery monitor with blue tooth - purchased from Amazon so i do continually monitor it. Hopefully this helps someone as the posts above have helped me.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
weaver483 (06-13-24)
Old 06-11-24, 03:29 PM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bts10
Just wanted to add my story. Purchased 2024 450H+ in May of 2023. Absolutely no issues with battery. Did 10k mile service early May 2024. At the same time, received my second key. Traveled and left car at airport the next week for 5 days (have done this at least 4 times in last year). Car dead when we arrived. Tried to do the jump in the front and it did not work. Quickly read the posts above and jumped the car by going directly to 12v battery in rear (after crawling through to open hatch). Worked right away. Drove car to dealer and they tested the battery and said it was ok.

The battery continued to show a parasitic drain and I had to jump it a couple more times over the next week. Read further posts - i figured the only electronic change was the new key. So - turned the smart key off on both fobs - the next morning - battery at 100%. Have not had an issue since. Also - I did connect a battery monitor with blue tooth - purchased from Amazon so i do continually monitor it. Hopefully this helps someone as the posts above have helped me.

Thanks
Thanks for your story. Curious how the 2nd key fob affected the battery when it was parked at the airport? I get how keys around the NX can drain the 12 volt. But presumably you didn’t have any keys around it while parked at the airport. And could you post the link to your Bluetooth battery monitor? Thanks again.
Sallywelsh (06-20-24)
Old 06-19-24, 02:39 PM
Wcr1
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1181 miles on NX 450h+ and battery dead twice

We bought a 2024 NX 450h+ new in early June 2024. Within a couple weeks and about 800 miles it died in our garage the first time. Took it to the dealer (one hour away each way) to have checked out. All they did was check the battery (said it was 90%) and blamed the dead battery on us leaving a door ajar, leaving the vanity light on, leaving the glove box open, etc. and sent us on our way. Now the thing is dead again after not driving it for 4 days.

We've been very careful about keeping the key fob, key card, and cell phone with digital key away (>15') from the car. We've also been very careful not to leave doors ajar or having anything that we can control turned off.

We do not lock the car when it's in the garage.

Is there anything else I can check or do to try to keep the call from draining the battery? What else can I do?

This is not what I expect from a very expensive luxury car. Having to put it on a trickle charger like an old clunker is just wrong.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Sallywelsh (06-20-24)
Old 06-19-24, 05:33 PM
Sallywelsh
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Follow up on dead battery

Originally Posted by Sallywelsh
2024 NX 450h+ purchased 12/2023, 1000 miles.
Low mileage, short trip driver so I experienced 12-volt problems early as described in this thread. My car was bricked twice and required door hacking and boosting both times. First time dealer ran basic battery tests, topped it off and returned it. Second time I also got CEL so they were authorized to run full diagnostics. They replaced battery. But even with new battery and my thorough adherence to the recs here (forced laps on highway to avoid short trips, not leaving charger connected when done, avoid alerts from open doors or windows, never using ACC, fobs kept at distance, etc), the 12-volt still went low. Lexus dealer has had for 6 days and just said they want for at least 2 more as they run tests as directed by main Lexus. I’m hoping this means Lexus is acknowledging a persistent 12-volt problem.
BTW my case may be complicated by dealer-installed LoJack which could be contributing a parasitic draw. But the dealer and I agreed to disconnect it so it doesn’t influence this troubleshooting.
My car has now bricked up several times. March, April, May, June. They replaced the battery and removed the LoJack. The car was fine for 3 weeks then totally dead battery again overnight. I have gone overboard on every proven and suspected habit for maintaining the 12-volt. This last time I had taken 3 trips the day before it died and also put it in Ready for 30 minutes. The next day it was totally dead.
The dealer kept it for 13 days in May and as of now for 10 days in June. They aren’t doing anything with the car; it just sits on the dealer’s lot. I think they have twice requested help from Lexus hq but otherwise have no ideas.
Yesterday I called Lexus Brand Engagement and have since had a case opened and spent an hour detailing the timeline to the case manager.
The case manager has already suggested I review my state’s lemon laws.
I hope others on here have better luck than I, but,,when the dealer gives up and suggests I call hq, I know where this is headed. My late husband and I have bought Mercedes, Acuras and BMWs and have never had problems like this. Sad.
Old 06-19-24, 06:06 PM
weaver483
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you for the update. Unfortunately I have had a similar experience with no resolution from the dealer or Lexus although I didn't open a case number. The dealer kept mine for almost a month while I was on vacation with a their loaner and I checked the app almost every day with no activity. I now keep a trickle charger on my 350h most of the time while it sets in the garage. Let us know if you hear anything from Lexus but not holding my breath.
Old 06-19-24, 06:28 PM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Wcr1
We bought a 2024 NX 450h+ new in early June 2024. Within a couple weeks and about 800 miles it died in our garage the first time. Took it to the dealer (one hour away each way) to have checked out. All they did was check the battery (said it was 90%) and blamed the dead battery on us leaving a door ajar, leaving the vanity light on, leaving the glove box open, etc. and sent us on our way. Now the thing is dead again after not driving it for 4 days.

We've been very careful about keeping the key fob, key card, and cell phone with digital key away (>15') from the car. We've also been very careful not to leave doors ajar or having anything that we can control turned off.

Is there anything else I can check or do to try to keep the call from draining the battery? What else can I do?

This is not what I expect from a very expensive luxury car. Having to put it on a trickle charger like an old clunker is just wrong.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Same 2024 NX 450 that had the battery die twice within its first 300 miles. I too had the dealer say nothing is actually wrong with the battery. They kept it for days the second time at my insistence to check for any parasitic drain (had a dash camera installed, after all). The result? No parasitic drain what so ever.

Thanks to this forum I learned that the 12v might not be getting a chance to fully charge up due to my short distance and infrequent driving. Then, with the battery gets low, just leaving a door open for 10-15 minutes is enough to finally kill off the battery and leave the NX inoperable.

I, too, refuse the trickle charger route. But I’m now at 1600 miles and six months from the last incident with no problems.

My solution?

Once or twice a week, usually after I get home, I sit in the driveway with my NX on READY MODE (gas or electric makes no difference), and just let the 12v charge up for 15-20 minutes. If it is at night I will turn off the headlights and computer screen so it’s not having to draw much power at the same time I’m trying to let it charge. Basically enough time to check emails.

That’s it, haven’t had a problem since. No trickle charger to worry about. I still drive short hops, and occasionally not for three weeks at a time, with no problems. Just giving it 15-20 mins to charge up in READY MODE while not driving seems to have done the trick for me.

Also, in case this isn’t obvious, NEVER PUT IT IN ACC MODE!!!

I was on the verge of getting rid of my new NX when the battery issues were hitting, but now it’s my favorite car ever!

Good luck, hope this helps.

lsft (06-20-24)
Old 06-19-24, 06:29 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Can anyone tell me if I should be locking the car in the garage in an attempt to not have 12v battery issues? I don't recall seeing this on the list of things to do.
Old 06-19-24, 06:51 PM
GHN1013
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn’t it worse to NOT lock the doors? Then your car will be trying to send push notifications to your app every hour or so indicating your doors are not locked.
lsft (06-20-24)
Old 06-19-24, 06:58 PM
GHN1013
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, been consulting with Melissa from Northside Lexus (The Lexus Technology Guru who creates those amazing Lexus online tutorials on YT). She was aware of the parasitic drain as well, and hope there was a Lexus fix soon, but she did mention an option I was not aware of that can disable the ACC mode from being used unless the car was on. I know won’t help with parasitic draws in general, but at least may help remind us not us not to use ACC mode on its own? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited by GHN1013; 06-19-24 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-20-24, 08:06 AM
Wcr1
5th Gear

Thanks NX450Guy. Your info is encouraging.

When you say "I still drive short hops, and occasionally not for three weeks at a time, with no problems." My biggest concern right now is that we have an overseas trip coming up and the NX will be at a long-term airport parting lot for about 2 weeks. Would you use the same approach in such a situation.

Other things I don't understand are:
  • I've heard that the car will "go to sleep" faster if it's locked, rather than unlocked. What is this all about? Do you lock your car in your garage?
  • Does having a window open (e.g., to pass a charger cord through) drain the battery? (Does the car keep trying to alert me of that and drain the 12v?)
  • Does having the car plugged in (i.e., before/after a scheduled charge) deplete the battery?
  • Is there any way the car displays the 12v battery health or alert if it's getting low? (Seems to alert to so many other things that a "pre-death" low battery alert should be on the list.)
  • Can the 12v battery be trickle charged by connecting to the jump terminal at the fuse box under the hood? Does having the hood up/open during this process defeat the purpose by also draining the battery to tell me the hood's open?
I'm trying to love this car, but this is our only car now (both retired) and this has become a reliability issue, real or perceived. Also, my wife wants a car to simply go from point A to B and not fart around with tracking when it's time to let it sit in READY mode.

Also, the dealer didn't mention short trips, or driving mostly in EV mode as being something that requires additional attention and nobody at the dealership has said anything like..."Don't use ACC mode!" Those of us that are old enough to remember regularly using ACC mode to listen to music and neck certainly should be warned not to.

Sorry if I'm ranting. But this whole thing seems so wrong for a highly computerized luxury vehicle. Our 10-year old Nissan Leaf AUTOMATICALLY boosts the 12v battery from the traction battery and could sit for months just fine. No user intervention required (just like my wife likes). NEVER got stranded and NEVER had to call roadside service.

Sallywelsh (06-20-24)
Old 06-20-24, 12:16 PM
weaver483
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wcr1, you can trickle charge the 12V battery using the port in the fuse box. I do that all the time even though my app will tell me the hood is open which probably is some additional draw from the battery. That was also the dealer's recommendation.
Sallywelsh (06-20-24)
Old 06-20-24, 01:23 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GHN1013
FWIW, been consulting with Melissa from Northside Lexus (The Lexus Technology Guru who creates those amazing Lexus online tutorials on YT). She was aware of the parasitic drain as well, and hope there was a Lexus fix soon, but she did mention an option I was not aware of that can disable the ACC mode from being used unless the car was on. I know won’t help with parasitic draws in general, but at least may help remind us not us not to use ACC mode on its own? 🤷🏻‍♂️

So Melissa recommends we set ACC Customize to "ON" in order to require that the vehicle is on (ready mode) for things like listening to the radio?
Sallywelsh (06-20-24)
Old 06-20-24, 01:28 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

My biggest concern right now is that we have an overseas trip coming up and the NX will be at a long-term airport parking lot for about 2 weeks. Would you use the same approach in such a situation.
I have left my NX450h+ at the airport for one week while on vacation. No problems when we returned. The drive to the airport was 25 miles or 30 minutes leaving it with a "hopefully" decent charge.

Wcr1 (06-20-24)
Old 06-20-24, 01:45 PM
Wcr1
5th Gear

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know! That's why I put it in my post. I see both possible scenarios and am wondering if one is "right."

Since my incident yesterday, it's now locked. However it is our habit, and I think many (most?) others to leave a car unlocked in the garage. I think it's safer unlocked, as well.

Quick Reply: 2024 NX 450h: Dead as a door knob