Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

2024 NX 450h: Dead as a door knob

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-24, 01:53 PM
Wcr1
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Weaver483. That'll certainly going to be easier than charging at the accessory battery.
Old 06-20-24, 03:06 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Wcr1
Thanks for the reply.

I don't know! That's why I put it in my post. I see both possible scenarios and am wondering if one is "right."

Since my incident yesterday, it's now locked. However it is our habit, and I think many (most?) others to leave a car unlocked in the garage. I think it's safer unlocked, as well.
I actually lock my cars all the time even in the garage. It just a habit that I have had since owning any car. However, any car if you drive short distances will kill the 12V battery. Gas only vehicles have similar issues if you start it and drive 1 mile and turn it off. You are right that other vehicles would wake up and charge the 12V battery when it detects the 12V battery being low. I've been monitoring the 12V battery. The biggest problem is when driving for almost 2 hours the car's nominal charge only charged 2% in the state of charge. That is where many people would think that you have a full 12V battery. Unfortunately, the computer has its' own mind and it seems to not have a pattern on when it charges and when it doesn't. Idling for 15 mins or using remote start 5-10 mins before you leave would definitely help keep the battery charged up.
The following users liked this post:
Sallywelsh (06-20-24)
Old 06-20-24, 04:18 PM
Wcr1
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your response. I like that you have the monitoring data from which to draw your conclusions. Based on those, would you say that if my trip to an airport is 2 to 3 hours and the NX will be parked there 2 weeks that I could park in ready mode and let it charge until the 1 hr auto shutdown? Then maybe try to do a remote start from the app mid-trip?

Thanks, again.
Old 06-20-24, 04:40 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Thanks for your response. I like that you have the monitoring data from which to draw your conclusions. Based on those, would you say that if my trip to an airport is 2 to 3 hours and the NX will be parked there 2 weeks that I could park in ready mode and let it charge until the 1 hr auto shutdown? Then maybe try to do a remote start from the app mid-trip?

Thanks, again.
The remote start won't work if it is not driven for 7 days. And the remote start will only run for 20 mins. I personally haven't let the car sit for 7 days to see how things will go. For myself, I would just trickle charge the car at home and take an Uber to the airport. You know. It's possible that I won't see my NX when I return if it sits on the airport lot for a while.
Old 06-20-24, 05:20 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

In case you folks haven't tried these already, please take a look at things the RX hybrid owners did to get some level of mitigation of their battery problems. These are very long threads, but I'm pointing out a specific post.

Personally, I have swtiched off the Drive Stats portion of the app and kept all the other functions on now - but if someone is keeping car unlocked or keeping windows open, it likely makes sense to switch off all the data alerts from the car to Lexus server/apps - so as to minimize continuous wake-up and lose charge scenario of the 12V. My car has also survived a 26 day trip when I was away from home with the key fob, likely because it doesn't have any other problem (such as DC-DC inverter or DCM module parasitic drain etc) other than the dismal charging algorithm plaguing all RX and NX hybrids in general. During that trip, I meant to do remote start, but did not know you can't do it after 7 days and also that one can't do it more than twice in succession. After getting back, the car ran for 1 week, until the temperature dipped to 4 C and had to be jump-started then.
Sallywelsh (07-11-24)
Old 06-20-24, 06:50 PM
GHN1013
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma742
So Melissa recommends we set ACC Customize to "ON" in order to require that the vehicle is on (ready mode) for things like listening to the radio?
Not sure if it was a “Recommendation” vs more that she was just trying to problem solve other ways to possibly mitigate the drain. I interpreted as a safety guard rail to help keep us more in check. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I didn’t even know that option even existed.
Old 06-21-24, 02:54 AM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks NX450Guy. Your info is encouraging.

When you say "I still drive short hops, and occasionally not for three weeks at a time, with no problems." My biggest concern right now is that we have an overseas trip coming up and the NX will be at a long-term airport parting lot for about 2 weeks. Would you use the same approach in such a situation.

Other things I don't understand are:
  • I've heard that the car will "go to sleep" faster if it's locked, rather than unlocked. What is this all about? Do you lock your car in your garage?
  • Does having a window open (e.g., to pass a charger cord through) drain the battery? (Does the car keep trying to alert me of that and drain the 12v?)
  • Does having the car plugged in (i.e., before/after a scheduled charge) deplete the battery?
  • Is there any way the car displays the 12v to alert to so many other things that a "pre-death" low battery alert should be on the list.)
  • Can the 12v battery be trickle charged by connecting to the jump terminal at the fuse box under the hood? Does having the hood up/open during this process defeat the purpose by also draining the battery to tell me the hood's open?
I'm trying to love this car, but this is our only car now (both retired) and this has become a reliability issue, real or perceived. Also, my wife wants a car to simply go from point A to B and not fart around with tracking when it's time to let it sit in READY mode.

Also, the dealer didn't mention short trips, or driving mostly in EV mode as being something that requires additional attention and nobody at the dealership has said anything like..."Don't use ACC mode!" Those of us that are old enough to remember regularly using ACC mode to listen to music and neck certainly should be warned not to.

Sorry if I'm ranting. But this whole thing seems so wrong for a highly computerized luxury vehicle. Our 10-year old Nissan Leaf AUTOMATICALLY boosts the 12v battery from the traction battery and could sit for months just fine. No user intervention required (just like my wife likes). NEVER got stranded and NEVER had to call roadside service.
When you say "I still drive short hops, and occasionally not for three weeks at a time, with no problems." My biggest concern right now is that we have an overseas trip coming up and the NX will be at a long-term airport parting lot for about 2 weeks. Would you use the same approach in such a situation.

Haven’t had a problem with the 12 v after leaving it parked for two weeks.

Is there any way the car displays the 12v
to alert to so many other things that a "pre-death" low battery alert should be on the list.)

This would be so helpful, but no, unfortunately. Makes no sense with everything else it monitors.

Also, the dealer didn't mention short trips, or driving mostly in EV mode as being something that requires additional attention and nobody at the dealership has said anything like..."Don't use ACC mode!" Those of us that are old enough to remember regularly using ACC mode to listen to music and neck certainly should be warned not to.

Driving mostly in EV mode doesn’t see to be the issue. It’s a matter of did you drive long enough to let the 12 v charge. If you use a lot of juice for ACor heat or something, it may need longer to charge. That’s why sitting in ready mode with few things one will charge it up faster.

Yes, ACC used to be useful. Now it’s something you need to avoid. It will drain the 12v fast.

like you said, frustrating that a vehicle this expensive needs to be babysat.

A forum member has a YouTube page you will find helpful in answering your other questions:

https://m.youtube.com/@lsft

Sallywelsh (07-11-24)
Old 06-21-24, 08:19 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkle
In case you folks haven't tried these already, please take a look at things the RX hybrid owners did to get some level of mitigation of their battery problems. These are very long threads, but I'm pointing out a specific post.

Personally, I have swtiched off the Drive Stats portion of the app and kept all the other functions on now - but if someone is keeping car unlocked or keeping windows open, it likely makes sense to switch off all the data alerts from the car to Lexus server/apps - so as to minimize continuous wake-up and lose charge scenario of the 12V. My car has also survived a 26 day trip when I was away from home with the key fob, likely because it doesn't have any other problem (such as DC-DC inverter or DCM module parasitic drain etc) other than the dismal charging algorithm plaguing all RX and NX hybrids in general. During that trip, I meant to do remote start, but did not know you can't do it after 7 days and also that one can't do it more than twice in succession. After getting back, the car ran for 1 week, until the temperature dipped to 4 C and had to be jump-started then.
I’ve been on a campaign to preserve battery charge, i.e., minimize current flow when the vehicle is turned off. I had over 300 mA (0.3 A) of “dark current” before doing anything; that was draining the battery every couple of days. The following steps helped:

1. Turn off the Digital Key system on the vehicle (this was the biggie—most of the current draw in my case):
Settings -> Info & Security -> Enable digital keys -> OFF

2. Have the radio, display, etc. turn off immediately when the car is turned off:
Settings -> Vehicle customize -> Utility -> ACC customize -> ON
3. Have the lights turn off ASAP when vehicle turns off:
Settings -> Vehicle customize -> Lights -> Exterior lights: Auto off timer -> 7.5 seconds
Settings -> Vehicle customize -> Lights -> Interior lights: Auto off timer -> 7.5 seconds
4. Turn off all Push notifications in the Lexus App. This is what sends messages to your phone that something is in your back seat, doors are unlocked, etc.
5. Turning off the dome light above rear-view mirror (ok, this is excessive!)

Doing these things reduced my parasitic current to 28 mA (0.028 A) as measured by the Lexus dealer; they said this was the low end of the “dark current” spec and should be fine. And yet, with our normal driving (30 - 45 minutes per day) we could not keep the battery charged (see first figure below). My battery monitor said I was between 0 and 30% charged every day.
Is it possible to turn off Digital Key system in the NX as it is on the RX450h+
Sallywelsh (07-11-24)