Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Why is there NO SPARE TIRE for 2023 Lexus NX350H ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 12:19 PM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I like it. I was just thinking last night again about a rack similar to the Rav4 of yesteryear.
Old 05-08-24, 05:38 PM
noRFT
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How the modern spare fits in back luggage area

Photos show 6" ht. x 29" dia Modern Spare in luggage compartment

Centered against the rear seats

tire tucked back as far as possible

tire vertical but seat must be folded down

Last edited by noRFT; 05-09-24 at 07:55 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 05-09-24, 05:30 AM
krcardinal
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had Run Flats on two cars and each experienced a flat. On my Mini Cooper, I got to my airport parking spot only to find the tire flat. I drove the car home (50 miles) without issue. On our Audi Q7, the flat occurred while we were fully loaded for a lengthy trip including bikes on the back. Had to pull over and get towed. Just too much weight I think for the Run Flat to be effective. We have Run Flats on our new NX350h. As of right now, I’m thinking to take my chances on living with no spare.
Old 05-11-24, 08:54 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 139 Posts

So far, I have not yet caved and purchased a spare for either of my 450h+ models. I do have an air pump and tire plug kit in the cargo area of each car and if I do have a flat, I will attempt to deal with it then. If it is a catastrophic failure, I may have to call Lexus or AAA. On another note, my son, who has been ogling our two PHEV's for several months came over last night with a new Toyota RAV4 Prime, which is also Japan built, as are our two Lexus models. While showing him a couple of features, I mentioned that he didn't have a spare tire, since neither of our cars have one. I opened the cargo area and to my surprise, there sat a a full size spare tire! WTH?
Old 05-17-24, 05:49 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
So far, I have not yet caved and purchased a spare for either of my 450h+ models. I do have an air pump and tire plug kit in the cargo area of each car and if I do have a flat, I will attempt to deal with it then. If it is a catastrophic failure, I may have to call Lexus or AAA. On another note, my son, who has been ogling our two PHEV's for several months came over last night with a new Toyota RAV4 Prime, which is also Japan built, as are our two Lexus models. While showing him a couple of features, I mentioned that he didn't have a spare tire, since neither of our cars have one. I opened the cargo area and to my surprise, there sat a a full size spare tire! WTH?
Yes, all the noise insulation and nicer seats etc in the Lexi added all the weight - so Lexus had to lose weight somehow, so they got rid of the spare tire.
Old 05-17-24, 07:13 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I was originally dismayed as well about the lack of spare tire but even more aggravated to see there were NO tools at all in the tool slots except for a screwdriver!! I did realize that the car came with run flats but assumed there would at least be a lug wrench and jack provided. Then as I thought back to other vehicles I have owned and had for 10 years or more, I couldn't recall a single time where I had to use the jack or remove the lug nuts. On the odd times I had leaks in the tires I was always able to get to the local tire place or call AAA to put on the spare. Presumably with the run flats you have plenty of time to get to a tire repair facility so I guess not a big deal for the lack of spare and lack of tools.
Break/bend a rim from a pot hole ... we'll need a spare to get home.

Everyone....Please keep in mind your NX has an SOS button... not sure if it's for road service but I'd use it if stuck... TEST IT MONTHLY...

Last edited by Sounds; 05-18-24 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-19-24, 01:24 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
Break/bend a rim from a pot hole ... we'll need a spare to get home.

Everyone....Please keep in mind your NX has an SOS button... not sure if it's for road service but I'd use it if stuck... TEST IT MONTHLY...

Have you tested yours? What is the test procedure?
Old 05-20-24, 08:58 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma742
Have you tested yours? What is the test procedure?
I have.

Just pushed the button, told the woman on the other end that it was not an emergency but that I was just verifying the system was working.

She said, "it is," then asked if there was anything else she could assist me with, after which we had a brief conversation, and she verified my GPS location. She then disconnected, and my SOS button went back to a steady green indicating it was "ready." (As I recall, the green light was flashing during our conversation).

It was all very simple and straight forward.
The following 2 users liked this post by DampDuffer:
gamma742 (05-21-24), Sounds (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 01:26 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

There is no substitute for spare.... RunFlats are a good bit of insurance unless the rim bends from a pot hole....The NX is shipwrecked.
After getting a spare be sure to have the proper lug removal (breaker bar) tool...w/sockets. And test it. Have a mounting pin also. Have at least a 16"-24" breaker. I had to change a wheel and could not get the lugs off... I bought one of these for each car... It's the difference. This Husky is from Home Depot... extends 18-24"