Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

Keeping the 12v battery in good health

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 01:57 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

I'm seeing them from $110 on Amazon.
Old 01-21-24, 01:58 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

I am wondering if there would cheap and reliable jump starters made for phev (or hybrids), because these cars dont require the cold cranking amps as gas engines do. - they just need to bring the hybrid system online (phevs dont even have starter motors). That should reduce the energy density requirement of the jump starter, right ? And thereby reduce price, while increasing reliability for life inside the car while being used in very rare occasions.

Any leads along that direction ?
Old 01-21-24, 02:21 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkle
I am wondering if there would cheap and reliable jump starters made for phev (or hybrids), because these cars dont require the cold cranking amps as gas engines do. - they just need to bring the hybrid system online (phevs dont even have starter motors). That should reduce the energy density requirement of the jump starter, right ? And thereby reduce price, while increasing reliability for life inside the car while being used in very rare occasions.

Any leads along that direction ?
My two 1500 A units are most likely overkill, if I ever need them to start either of my 450h+ vehicles. Since you would only be activating the 12v system, a smaller 500 A unit would probably suffice. You really don't need a lot of amps since you are not turning over a massive V8 engine or a diesel. I only have these in the event I need to jump start someone else should they need a jump. I feel it's better (and safer) to use one of these, as opposed to using jumper cables.
Old 01-22-24, 06:13 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StefanoS
My two 1500 A units are most likely overkill, if I ever need them to start either of my 450h+ vehicles. Since you would only be activating the 12v system, a smaller 500 A unit would probably suffice. You really don't need a lot of amps since you are not turning over a massive V8 engine or a diesel. I only have these in the event I need to jump start someone else should they need a jump. I feel it's better (and safer) to use one of these, as opposed to using jumper cables.
I'm gingery considering this one to keep under the front passenger seat - because the built-in vacuum will cause me to occasionally test the battery to make sure its working (otherwise I'm worried it will just stay in the car and surprise me with not working when I need it once in 2 or 3 years!). The occasional charge/discharge cycles caused by vacuuming might also help keep the battery health better than otherwise. As it is, the quality control on these may not be as good as the Nocos (even though this manufacturer has many products with generally good reviews), say, but I'm tempted by the the versatility of the vacuum and the ability to exercise/test the battery automatically. And it has the "boost" override button in case the car's 12 V is completely dead.

If there is any counterpoint I need to consider, please do help by bringing them up:

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-23-24, 05:06 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Wow, that jump-starter/VACUUM is cool!
The following users liked this post:
wrinkle (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 10:03 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

I checked it out. This thing is a hoot! I imagined seering the old TV commercials for Ronco (Ron Popeil) that they used to parody on SNL.
"It's an amazing jump starter AND a vacuum cleaner!". I must give them credit for being creative. Who would have thought to create a device with these two features.

"It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!"
Old 01-23-24, 10:06 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

I checked it out. This thing is a hoot!
For my education, can you please explain a bit - of why technically this thing is either of poor design (of a Jump Starter perspective) or perhaps of reliability. Thanks.

Its a bit sad that we are having to deal with this 12 V battery design deficiency by Lexus, so the more we learn the better !
Old 01-23-24, 10:13 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wrinkle
For my education, can you please explain a bit - of why technically this thing is either of poor design (of a Jump Starter perspective) or perhaps of reliability. Thanks.

Its a bit sad that we are having to deal with this 12 V battery design deficiency by Lexus, so the more we learn the better !
I wasn't commenting about any potentially poor design of their jump starter, only the fact that they had made two devices in one. It's marketing a product.
I have not yet noticed any deterioration in my batteries in either car yet but, it's still kinda early in the game. I have a volt meter in both vehicles now so that I can better monitor charging and battery voltage after shutdown.
Old 01-23-24, 06:43 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

I wasn't commenting about any potentially poor design of their jump starter, only the fact that they had made two devices in one. It's marketing a product.
I have not yet noticed any deterioration in my batteries in either car yet but, it's still kinda early in the game. I have a volt meter in both vehicles now so that I can better monitor charging and battery voltage after shutdown.
Ok, I will take that to mean you don't see a fundamental flaw in their design at least. I might just go for it then soon.
Old 01-30-24, 07:45 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Added semi-permanent battery charger cable with external access to my RX350h

So, we have had the 2023 RX350h for 9 months. During this time we have put almost 14,000 miles on it with no "dead battery" issues. Never been locked out or needed a jump start. That being said I have read a bunch of posts about "dead battery" problems, getting locked out or having to use the key on the drivers door and then the manual release handle to get in. So I decided to be a little proactive and add a +12 Volt battery charge cable that is hidden but easily accessible just in case. While this added cable could not be used to
jump start the vehicle, it could be used to charge the battery every so often. In the case of a dead battery, a battery charger that could output 8 or 10 amps could be connected to allow the vehicles remote keyless entry and electronic door handles to function.

I ordered this charge cable assy that had 6 feet of cable and a cigarette lighter end on it. This type cable has a connector that is pretty standard to most battery "trickle charge" or battery maintainer" chargers. I cut off the cigarette lighter head and ran that end of the harness into the car through a grommet and hole. Once inside the RX, the (-) side of the cable was connected to the battery ground point with a soldered on ring terminal. The cables (+) side was run into the rear fuse box and connected to a 1/4" spade terminal that was unused and provided a direct path back to the positive battery terminal. A waterproof fuse holder with a 15 Amp fuse was added to the cables' (+) wire just outside of the fuse box. The charge cable exits the rear trunk area near the center of the vehicle and is zip tied in place. This cable has a protective cap to keep the connector clean and ready for use.

Photo's below :

Drilled hole and ran cable through grommet.

Rather than connect the charge cable directly to the battery terminal post, I connected to the Chassis Ground Point.

Same for the positive charge cable wire. I found an unused +12V constant terminal in the rear fuse box that was a perfect fit for a 1/4" spade terminal.

All wire joints are soldered and insulated with heat shrink tube.

Weather-proof charge cable end secured and tucked under rear bumper.

Test charge - all good!

This won't interfere with a normal battery replacement but will allow easy access for a charge or emergency access.
Might never need it but it's there and tested.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 01-30-24 at 12:31 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by FlopTop04:
Carbuff2 (01-30-24), CCGS (01-30-24), DEL92 (03-13-24), GlennAudio (01-31-24), Klamalama (02-01-24), Longevite1 (01-30-24), pedser (03-13-24) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-30-24, 12:36 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

While I've never had any issues with the 12 Volt battery in my RX350h, after seeing several posts concerning the 12 Volt battery going dead I added an externally accessible charging cable for this purpose.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 01-30-24 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-12-24, 12:25 PM
2023Rex350
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2023 Luxury RX 350h Jump Needed Within A Couple of Minutes When Leaving Car w/ ACC On

Back in December my wife locked herself out our 2023 Luxury RX 350h with both the key fob/manual key inside the car and the ACC on. The battery immediately drained within a couple of minutes after she got out of the car. We eventually needed to use our spare manual key (that we needed to grab back home but luckily we lived nearby where the car was parked) and needed to jump the car battery. At the time, we couldn't figured out why we couldn't get in/unlock the car if the key fob with a healthy battery was inside the car and how did the battery drain so fast. I even took it to the dealership but without more case studies they couldn't diagnose it. Today, it finally happened again. I was cleaning the inside of my car and I accidentally turned on the ACC. When I got out of the car, I forgot to turn off the ACC. Within 5 minutes from turning on the ACC and getting out of the car, I was locked out and the battery was dead. I eventually gave the car a jumped that solved the issue. My question is (which I will be asking the dealer at my next service appointment), is it normal for a car (any cars) to drain the battery within a few minutes of turning the ACC? The other odd thing is I've stayed in my car with the ACC on for as long as an hour with this same car but never had an issue. It seems like it's only becoming an issue when I get out of the car with the ACC on. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 03-12-24, 07:39 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

I believe that you must have had the vehicle in Ready mode when you left it on for an hour without issue. If you turn the vehicle on with the brake depressed, it's in ready mode. If you turn it on without the brake pressed, it's in ACC mode, and it is very common for the 12v battery to die within 20 minutes or much less in that mode, depending on what all is turned on and the state of charge of the 12v battery.
StefanoS (03-14-24)
Old 03-13-24, 05:07 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

My question is (which I will be asking the dealer at my next service appointment), is it normal for a car (any cars) to drain the battery within a few minutes of turning the ACC?
Not ANY car, but for certain the Lexus/Toyota hybrids will drain the 12V battery after 20 -45 minutes.

Our dealer emphasized to us that if we wanted to 'explore the features/settings' in our 500h to have the car in PARK and in READY mode. The car would start and stop the gasoline engine as needed.

Good advice.
StefanoS (03-14-24)
Old 03-13-24, 07:42 AM
pedser
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

@FlopTop04 - I am doing this and found a premade cord in amazon thats 2' long ... do you think its long enough ?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Keeping the 12v battery in good health