Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

Keeping the 12v battery in good health

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 07:06 AM
cyberhound
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Keeping the 12v battery in good health

I have a 2023 RX 450h+ - I switched from an all electric Audi E-tron GT which was a nightmare - if you're going on a journey there are insufficient high capacity public charging points in the UK to get you to where you want to go. The RX is a great car and the Japanese have mastered the technology in a way the Germans haven’t and everything works as it should and without the dreaded ‘range anxiety’ of a pure EV.

However - one thing, there's always something! The car needs to be driven or charged at least 1 hour each week to keep the 12v battery in good health and fully charged. This battery is responsible for all the auxiliary systems (not traction of course) and if it's allowed to go flat 1) there's no warning 2) all doors including the rear hatch are locked 3) you need to use the manual key to unlock it so always keep the key fob with you - if you leave the key fob inside the car and the battery goes flat you'll probably need the AA to get into the car and sort it out.

This happened to me last week in the 5 months of ownership. Apparently it's quite a common complaint but in my opinion it should 'fail safe' and not lock you out. Imagine if a mother opened the driver door, left the key inside the car, closed the door behind her, opened the rear door strapped baby into seat, closed door went to rear hatch to put in shopping bags then closed the hatch. Closing the rear hatch finally drained the 12V battery - she is locked out with baby inside - nightmare scenario! Minus the baby that's what happened to me. last week I now intend to check the battery regularly. There's a clear viewing cell and if it's blue then the battery is fine, red it needs charging and if it's clear then the battery has probably had it.

Keep that in mind and I'm sure you'll enjoy the car when its delivered
The following 3 users liked this post by cyberhound:
djrees (12-16-23), gpan218 (12-28-23), wrinkle (12-16-23)
Old 12-16-23, 10:53 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberhound
The car needs to be driven or charged at least 1 hour each week to keep the 12v battery in good health and fully charged.
It is recommended that non-hybrid cars be driven at least 30 minutes a week at highway speeds, to keep the battery charged. I make sure to fully charge, with a charger, any vehicle, that I'm not driving regularly, at least every 2 weeks to prevent the battery from getting low enough to induce sulfation.

Keep in mind that pressing the start button without pressing the brake puts the vehicle in a mode where the 12v battery is supporting all systems without being charged, and will rapidly deplete it.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (12-16-23)
Old 12-16-23, 10:58 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

If you are not going to drive enough to keep the 12v battery charged, it is easy to obtain and hook up a trickle charger. I keep my riding mower on one all winter long and it still runs strong after 4 years.
Old 12-16-23, 01:39 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Just to be clear, when most people say "trickle charger," they mean a battery maintainer that charges until full and then goes to float mode. A basic trickle charger can boil a battery dry and destroy it.
The following 3 users liked this post by WellsB:
Carbuff2 (12-18-23), ggebhardt (12-16-23), StefanoS (12-20-23)
Old 12-17-23, 03:11 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Somewhat related:

Yesterday I went through the same car wash I regularly use, but there was a difference. Naturally, you have to place the car in Neutral, which I did at the start. Near the end of the car wash I got a warning message not to keep the car in Neutral for a long time to protect the traction battery. The time in Neutral could not have been more than a couple of minutes.
Old 12-17-23, 03:13 PM
WellsB
Advanced

The traction battery is not charged when in neutral. The car is just giving you a warning about it.
Old 12-18-23, 01:35 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Klamalama
Somewhat related:

Yesterday I went through the same car wash I regularly use, but there was a difference. Naturally, you have to place the car in Neutral, which I did at the start. Near the end of the car wash I got a warning message not to keep the car in Neutral for a long time to protect the traction battery. The time in Neutral could not have been more than a couple of minutes.
I have seen the same warning. Does not always show up but I do see it about once a month under the same conditions you mention.
Old 12-19-23, 08:46 AM
DetailsGrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsB
Just to be clear, when most people say "trickle charger," they mean a battery maintainer that charges until full and then goes to float mode. A basic trickle charger can boil a battery dry and destroy it.
Excellent reminder, WellsB.

I've had a
NOCO Genius 5 NOCO Genius 5
connected to my older RX for a couple of years to overcome long periods the car sat still while I worked out of town.

Last edited by DetailsGrl; 12-19-23 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Shortened response.
The following 3 users liked this post by DetailsGrl:
Carbuff2 (12-20-23), StefanoS (12-20-23), WellsB (12-19-23)
Old 12-20-23, 03:36 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I bought two of these to keep both my Toro and SeaDoo batteries is ready to go condition. There are cheaper but I have had great service out of this brand.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-20-23, 04:11 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

X2 on the Battery Tender brand above. Have three.
ggebhardt (12-20-23)
Old 12-20-23, 08:33 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

I have several of the .75 Amp Battery Tenders and a NOCO Genius 5 in my garage for my Honda M/C, Vespa and of course, my vehicles, when I need to put one or more on a maintenance charge. Having one or two around of these chargers is always a great idea. NOCO makes good quality stuff and all of these can be purchased from Amazon for quick delivery. Consider them cheap insurance.
Carbuff2 (12-20-23)
Old 12-28-23, 08:28 AM
gpan218
4th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife (who is claustrophobic) got locked into her new RX350h when the 12v battery died. She was not aware how to use the manual door openers. Fortunately, she had her phone and called me so I could walk her through the process. When she shut the car door after getting out, all the doors locked, with the vehicle in the middle of a parking garage, blocking other cars. We called the dealer, and after 3 tries found someone who could walk us through the use of the manual key and the manual exterior door handles. Then called Lexus roadside assistance for a jump start using the connections under the hood (the positive terminal is inside the fuse box on the drivers side near the firewall. The negative terminal is on the left side of the engine, a good 20+ inches from the positive terminal). When the service tech arrived to jump start the car, his cables would not reach both connection points specified in the owners manual. He finally found a suitable bolt to clip the negative jumper to, and the car started.

What a nightmare! This process should be taught when the car is delivered, instead of spending all the time setting up the entertainment system.
wa3cuj (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 02:57 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

With the terminals under the hood so far away from each other, the typical battery tender/noco cable typically can't reach that far between positive and negative - so where are the battery maintainer users hooking up to?
BytesU (12-29-23)
Old 12-30-23, 10:42 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
With the terminals under the hood so far away from each other, the typical battery tender/noco cable typically can't reach that far between positive and negative - so where are the battery maintainer users hooking up to?
Hook the positive up to the positive terminal and the negative to any ground, a nut, bolt or other unpainted surface. Works fine!
StefanoS (12-30-23)
Old 12-30-23, 12:48 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Hook the positive up to the positive terminal and the negative to any ground, a nut, bolt or other unpainted surface. Works fine!
This is sound advice, as the ground can be just about anywhere.
ggebhardt (12-31-23)

Quick Reply: Keeping the 12v battery in good health