Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Dashcam and 12V battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 11:31 AM
brittmayo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashcam and 12V battery issues

We're taking 350h delivery next month. We would like to have a dashcam (OEM or otherwise, there are many good ones recommended in the NX forum - thanks!), but are concerned about adding ANYTHING to the load on the 12V battery in light of the problems owners are having with the battery running down during periods of lower usage. We are low-time, low-mileage drivers (current car is a 2011 47,000 miles), and we don't have a garage, so a trickle charger doesn't seem to be an option. We've never had any 12V problems with our 2011 Prius or 2014 Lexus ESh (replaced 12Vs at normal end-of-life intervals), but newer models seem to place a lot more strain on the system. A friend with a 2019 Prius and similar driving habits is now on his 5th 12V, which is causing us some concern.

Could experienced 350h owners add any insights or thoughts on this issue?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-24, 04:21 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

There are many reports of RX and NX batteries dying with short time sitting in the car with engine off.

i would be worried if there is a dashcam they might use that as an additional excuse not to warranty the battery
The following users liked this post:
brittmayo (01-10-24)
Old 01-09-24, 08:22 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by brittmayo
We're taking 350h delivery next month. We would like to have a dashcam (OEM or otherwise, there are many good ones recommended in the NX forum - thanks!), but are concerned about adding ANYTHING to the load on the 12V battery in light of the problems owners are having with the battery running down during periods of lower usage. We are low-time, low-mileage drivers (current car is a 2011 47,000 miles), and we don't have a garage, so a trickle charger doesn't seem to be an option. We've never had any 12V problems with our 2011 Prius or 2014 Lexus ESh (replaced 12Vs at normal end-of-life intervals), but newer models seem to place a lot more strain on the system. A friend with a 2019 Prius and similar driving habits is now on his 5th 12V, which is causing us some concern.

Could experienced 350h owners add any insights or thoughts on this issue?

Thanks.
If you are looking at a dashcam, have the dashcam purchased and installed by the dealership. That should reduce the issue with dashcam causing load issue. If you do short drives that seems to be what the problem is.
brittmayo (01-10-24)
Old 01-09-24, 09:41 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

I was not a fan of the Toyota/Lexus dash cam, which is not 4K, mounted on the right side of the mirror, and IMO, overpriced. I opted for the FitcamX and am pleased with it, so far. Much sharper image, less costly and looks like OE, something that Lexus should have come up with. I have not had any battery issues with either of my vehicles however, both are 450h+ PHEV's.
The following 2 users liked this post by StefanoS:
brittmayo (01-10-24), lsft (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 12:10 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Had mine for 18+ months with no issues

I installed an after market dashcam which I hard wired to the fuse box.

Find the details here if you're interested in reading up how I did it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...use-panel.html

I can report that I have never had an issue with the hardwired dashcam or my 12V battery. I have travelled a few times, left the car parked and returned to the car starting up immediately. As long as you do it properly, you should have no problem with your 12V battery. In fact I've only opened up my 12V battery compartment once since I got the car in June 2022 and that's because I needed to find an item that fell through the plastic closing through to the bottom of the trunk area.

If your are concerned about issues, like @lsft suggested, opt for the official Lexus dashcam and have the dealership install it.

I even forget that the dashcam is there.🤣😁
brittmayo (01-10-24)
Old 01-09-24, 12:20 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by LStoneX
I installed an after market dashcam which I hard wired to the fuse box.

Find the details here if you're interested in reading up how I did it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...use-panel.html

I can report that I have never had an issue with the hardwired dashcam or my 12V battery. I have travelled a few times, left the car parked and returned to the car starting up immediately. As long as you do it properly, you should have no problem with your 12V battery. In fact I've only opened up my 12V battery compartment once since I got the car in June 2022 and that's because I needed to find an item that fell through the plastic closing through to the bottom of the trunk area.

If your are concerned about issues, like @lsft suggested, opt for the official Lexus dashcam and have the dealership install it.

I even forget that the dashcam is there.🤣😁
I actually have 2 dashcam on my 450h+ the Lexus dashcam that is hardwired and the FitCamX which is not powered after car is off. So I only have 1 dashcam that should draw power on the 12V. I have had 3 times where my 12V decided to give in. The last one the 12V was not low enough for the doors to stop working, but not enough juice to start the car.

Last edited by lsft; 01-09-24 at 02:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lsft:
brittmayo (01-10-24), LStoneX (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 12:56 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
I was not a fan of the Toyota/Lexus dash cam, which is not 4K, mounted on the right side of the mirror, and IMO, overpriced. I opted for the FitcamX and am pleased with it, so far. Much sharper image, less costly and looks like OE, something that Lexus should have come up with. I have not had any battery issues with either of my vehicles however, both are 450h+ PHEV's.
Same here.
brittmayo (01-10-24)
Old 02-04-24, 11:53 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
I have not had any battery issues with either of my vehicles however, both are 450h+ PHEV's.
Have you ever left your car for a week or more? I have a trip planned and need to park it while we fly out for a weeks vacation.
Old 02-04-24, 01:07 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma742
Have you ever left your car for a week or more? I have a trip planned and need to park it while we fly out for a weeks vacation.
Not as of yet. About three days max but, I normally will put both the NX and the RX on the charger every three days or so, as they will be showing miles remaining somewhere between 3 and 12 miles on the dashboard display.
gamma742 (02-05-24)
Old 02-05-24, 12:40 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

Look for dash cams that come with fuse tap kits. Many of those kits include battery savers that will cut the power to the dashcam if the battery power falls below a set threshold. While I use the FixCamX on my NX (which powers off completely when car is off, not the most featured cam, but probably the best looking one), I've used dashcams with battery saver fuse taps on two other cars and never have had the battery go flat. Other kits, instead of always on power taps come with ignition triggered power taps with small batteries that can keep the dashcam powered for a while in parking mode. Still, other dashcams have internal batteries that will keep in powered for a few hours while parking. A lot depends if you need parking mode functionality while parked at home for days or just while out and about parking for a couple hours.
Old 02-17-24, 09:49 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma742
Left my car at the airport for a week.. no problem.
wrinkle (02-18-24)