Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.
View Poll Results: Engine compatility
Will a 3012 engine work in a 2008 LS 60o hL?
100.00%
Ok yo buy a good used hybrid battery for this car?
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

2012 engine in a 2008 Lexus LS 60o hL

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 03:55 PM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 engine in a 2008 Lexus LS 60o hL

Hello, I have a 2008 Lexus LS 600 hL and it needs a new engine. I found a 2012 engine with 30k on it. I think that the 2008 to 2012 models were all the same with minor changes. Will this 2012 engine work in my 2008 LS 600? Thank you.
Old 01-26-24, 03:36 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by craig1020
Hello, I have a 2008 Lexus LS 600 hL and it needs a new engine. I found a 2012 engine with 30k on it. I think that the 2008 to 2012 models were all the same with minor changes. Will this 2012 engine work in my 2008 LS 600? Thank you.
why did the first one fail and how many miles?
Old 01-26-24, 02:03 PM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 Lexus LS 600 hL

Originally Posted by Tdes395
why did the first one fail and how many miles?
My Lexus LS 600 hL had over 470000 miles on it. And what happened with it was not even the fault of the car. it was running great near perfect. I was having some metal work on my roof and the contractors asked for me to move my car, And i did a bit hurriedly and i forgot to hit the power button. Also I did know that that both fans were not working and i was going to get those the next day. It ran for 3 or 4 hours and ran hot and melted about everything inside of that engine. I have put the 2012 engine in there and it isnt running right. It supposedly has 30 to 40 k on it. The spark plugs were wet when they pulled those out. I wonder if those injectors on the 2012 may have clogged a little from sitting around and if I replace those fuel injectors if that would get it to running. I have found out that yes indeed Lexus used the exact same identical engine in these cars from 2008 all the way up until 2016. The part # on it is 19000-38230 and the model # is 2URFSE. Thank you for your message. Ill be here. The engine has to be at full throttle in order to run and it will not idle at all shuts down every time you let off of the fuel.

Craig
Old 01-26-24, 02:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

You are correct partial engine assembly 19000-38230 (think long block) is the same. But engine harness and ancillaries that's a totally different story there are many changes.
Old 01-26-24, 05:02 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

My Lexus LS 600 hL had over 470000 miles on it. And what happened with it was not even the fault of the car. it was running great near perfect. I was having some metal work on my roof and the contractors asked for me to move my car, And i did a bit hurriedly and i forgot to hit the power button. Also I did know that that both fans were not working and i was going to get those the next day. It ran for 3 or 4 hours and ran hot and melted about everything inside of that engine. I have put the 2012 engine in there and it isnt running right. It supposedly has 30 to 40 k on it. The spark plugs were wet when they pulled those out. I wonder if those injectors on the 2012 may have clogged a little from sitting around and if I replace those fuel injectors if that would get it to running. I have found out that yes indeed Lexus used the exact same identical engine in these cars from 2008 all the way up until 2016. The part # on it is 19000-38230 and the model # is 2URFSE. Thank you for your message. Ill be here. The engine has to be at full throttle in order to run and it will not idle at all shuts down every time you let off of the fuel.

Craig
wow. Almost 500,000 miles that’s awesome. His reliable had it been?
Old 01-27-24, 04:08 PM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

wow. Almost 500,000 miles that’s awesome. His reliable had it been?
Very reliable car for the most part. I replace 2 lower control arms and rplaced the air strut in the rear. I found those from triple creation original oem part fir a much reduced rate. Hybrid battery was replaced by owner before me. It ran hot through no fault of its own I believe that it could have gone on to 1 millions miles had that not occured. Now we are struggling to get it back up and running based on the things we have had to do. I did replace the hybrid battery also go a great buy on a 2022 battery. You just have to do a bit of homework on any of your cars out there. Hope someone out there has some insight in helping me to get this one back out on the road again. The hybrid tech does not know what is wrong with it after he installed everything.

Craig
Old 02-03-24, 07:47 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 898 Likes on 663 Posts

Scanning error codes would be a great start...
Old 02-04-24, 05:57 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Very reliable car for the most part. I replace 2 lower control arms and rplaced the air strut in the rear. I found those from triple creation original oem part fir a much reduced rate. Hybrid battery was replaced by owner before me. It ran hot through no fault of its own I believe that it could have gone on to 1 millions miles had that not occured. Now we are struggling to get it back up and running based on the things we have had to do. I did replace the hybrid battery also go a great buy on a 2022 battery. You just have to do a bit of homework on any of your cars out there. Hope someone out there has some insight in helping me to get this one back out on the road again. The hybrid tech does not know what is wrong with it after he installed everything.

Craig
do you operate a limousine service?
Old 02-28-24, 07:16 AM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 vs 2012 engine compatibility inquiry

do you operate a limousine service?
I do not operate a limousine service. This is my personal commute vehicle. I drive around 40000 miles per year. The 2012 engine is now in my 2008 Lexus LS 60 hL. It will crank and run but shuts down on idle and will not idle at all. The dealership did a diagnosis on this and found spark plugs wet with fuel not oil. They are telling me that they have contacted the individual who sold us the engine and he says that there are 2 versions of this engine. The US version and the Japanese version. I am in the United States but he tells me that he sold us an engine of of a vehicle being driven in japan. And that we will have to modify the entire fuel system from the Japanese version over to the United States version. he says that this is the case because of emission differences. They are saying to replace the fuel rail assembly, the hoses and all fuel injectors in the 2012 engine to the 2008 US version and that then it will run properly. Now i do not know if there are any hybrid tech experts here in this forum but if there are please tell me if you think this is accurate. I will need to make a decision by the end of this week and it is a $6000 fix in order to do this with the dealership. Does this make sense and is it true. Should I do this or not? I did get 472,000 miles out of the original engine so i am going for more with this project. Everything did mate and hook up with the electronics all except for the a/c compressor which had a different connector so we went back with the original 2009 a/c compressor and it hooked right up. Remember the car will crank and drive only when the accelerator is pressed significantly down but once letting off of the accelerator it will shut down altogether. If anyone may know anything on this please share it here and i know it isnt something being done everyday but the part # and also the model # was the same so this is why i went with this low mileage 2012 engine. 30000 miles on it. And the add on ebay when i put in the vin # said that it was a compatible fit. I can say that ebay has worked very well on this in past purchases on any parts, Maybe this will go and maybe it will not. Any 1st hand knowledge of this situation and of this hybrid vehicle please send it my way. I would very much appreciate any helpful info I can get. I think that the 2008 to 2016 engines were all identical and never any change othere than the a/c compressor that we found during this install. I think that the crankshafts and the camshafts are also alll the same. Lexus told me different and that camshafts and crankshafts are different in the 2008 vs the 2012 engine but me i am not believeing that based on what I have found. I caled the headquarters at Lexus and they know nothing. Thank you very much!

Craig
Old 02-28-24, 04:58 PM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

I do not operate a limousine service. This is my personal commute vehicle. I drive around 40000 miles per year. The 2012 engine is now in my 2008 Lexus LS 60 hL. It will crank and run but shuts down on idle and will not idle at all. The dealership did a diagnosis on this and found spark plugs wet with fuel not oil. They are telling me that they have contacted the individual who sold us the engine and he says that there are 2 versions of this engine. The US version and the Japanese version. I am in the United States but he tells me that he sold us an engine of of a vehicle being driven in japan. And that we will have to modify the entire fuel system from the Japanese version over to the United States version. he says that this is the case because of emission differences. They are saying to replace the fuel rail assembly, the hoses and all fuel injectors in the 2012 engine to the 2008 US version and that then it will run properly. Now i do not know if there are any hybrid tech experts here in this forum but if there are please tell me if you think this is accurate. I will need to make a decision by the end of this week and it is a $6000 fix in order to do this with the dealership. Does this make sense and is it true. Should I do this or not? I did get 472,000 miles out of the original engine so i am going for more with this project. Everything did mate and hook up with the electronics all except for the a/c compressor which had a different connector so we went back with the original 2009 a/c compressor and it hooked right up. Remember the car will crank and drive only when the accelerator is pressed significantly down but once letting off of the accelerator it will shut down altogether. If anyone may know anything on this please share it here and i know it isnt something being done everyday but the part # and also the model # was the same so this is why i went with this low mileage 2012 engine. 30000 miles on it. And the add on ebay when i put in the vin # said that it was a compatible fit. I can say that ebay has worked very well on this in past purchases on any parts, Maybe this will go and maybe it will not. Any 1st hand knowledge of this situation and of this hybrid vehicle please send it my way. I would very much appreciate any helpful info I can get. I think that the 2008 to 2016 engines were all identical and never any change othere than the a/c compressor that we found during this install. I think that the crankshafts and the camshafts are also alll the same. Lexus told me different and that camshafts and crankshafts are different in the 2008 vs the 2012 engine but me i am not believeing that based on what I have found. I caled the headquarters at Lexus and they know nothing. Thank you very much!

Craig
Any hybrid software/hardware mechanics in here on this thread. This is what I have been told on this 202 engine in a 2008 Lexus LS 600 hL And it is this. That there are 2 versions of this engine that was manufactured. The Japanese version and the United States version. My hybrid mechanic is now offering to change out my entire fuel system from this Japanese version which will not work right pver to the United States version which is supposed to work right with my 2102 engine that was operated in Japan for around 30.000 miles. This is all emmisions related they are all telling me. The changeover to get to the United States version is $6000.00. I am ok in paying this amount if it indeed would work with my 2008. I have had Lexus supervisors techs to tell me that Lexus changed the camshaft/crankshafts on these engines and the ones in question for me is 2008 to 2016. But the mechanic was actually able to get this car to start and to drive around in their parking lot at theit dealership. i saw him do that. But is shut down when he let off of the accelerator and will not idle. Are we on the right track in changing the fuel system or should we scrap this project now altogether based on engine incompatibility and also hardware/software incompatibility. All of the computer boards the comunication board had been replace in my 2008. Ok anyone who knows pleas answer me right here. This may be a brand new project never attempted before but if it can be made workable i want to know it. Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-29-24, 12:11 AM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

The electronics are they compatible with this 2012 engine going into a 2008 year Lexus LS 600 HL? The part # on the 2008 and te 2012 engine is identical. I thought that it would be since the 2008 to 2012 Lexus LS 600 hL are the same generation. If anyone in here has any info or knowledge on this application please share it here with us. I chose the 2012 engine over a 2008 because they had the same part # and that the 2008 used engines had a lot higher mileage on them. And I found this 2012 with only 30000 miles on it. Also they are saying that this 2012 engine is the Japanese version instead of the US version which have 2 different fuel systems on them. They can convert this fuel system for around 6 k. which I would do if it will really work. I am in the US so I need to have the US version fuel system intact instead of the Japanese version, If not compatible could the ecu/ecm board get reprogrammed to this application. If anyone has any knowledge on this please share it here with us. I appreciate this.

Craig.
Old 04-13-24, 11:32 AM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 vs 2012 fuel system on lexus LS 600 hL

The electronics are they compatible with this 2012 engine going into a 2008 year Lexus LS 600 HL? The part # on the 2008 and te 2012 engine is identical. I thought that it would be since the 2008 to 2012 Lexus LS 600 hL are the same generation. If anyone in here has any info or knowledge on this application please share it here with us. I chose the 2012 engine over a 2008 because they had the same part # and that the 2008 used engines had a lot higher mileage on them. And I found this 2012 with only 30000 miles on it. Also they are saying that this 2012 engine is the Japanese version instead of the US version which have 2 different fuel systems on them. They can convert this fuel system for around 6 k. which I would do if it will really work. I am in the US so I need to have the US version fuel system intact instead of the Japanese version, If not compatible could the ecu/ecm board get reprogrammed to this application. If anyone has any knowledge on this please share it here with us. I appreciate this.

Craig.
Hello,

this is what the seeler has told my dealer and also myself. I bought a 2012 engine from jdwestcoastinc on ebay. And it is installed in my 2008 Lexus LS 600 hL. It all hooked up fine electrical etc and it did crank and they drove it around the dealer parking lot. I saw it rolling through that parking lot myself. However when we let off of the fuel it wll shut down. The mechanic diagnose more and found fuel on the spark plugs. The seller says that Lexus had 2 seperate systems when the manufactured engines particularly the fuel system. He told us that their was a Japanese version made for Japan emission requirements. And they also made a version for the United States for their emission requirements. Hw went to say to us that by virtue of the fact that I had a version made in the United States that we would need to change out the entire fuel system on the 2012 to the American version and that then the car would run properly. Is there anyone in here who may be a hybrid mechanic and or maybe has knowledge of this. Is it true that there were 2 versions? I can believe that but I question if they would be all that different. But the seller insists to us that the 2 are incompatible and that the entire fuel system has to be changed out and at an additional cost of around $6000 more. Low presure injectors would be changed as well as the high pressure injectors and around r fuel rails on it. Anyone believe that this is true. Should i try it go for it or give it up and use this as a parts car becuse as it is it is not road worthy. They relpaced the hybrid battery also and had the same result. Shut down when letting off of the fuel and the vehicle will not idle. I know it has a lot of computers to shut it down when something is off. Please let me know some thoughts on this project and i thank you for any input and knowledge that any certified hybrid tech would have on these Lexus engines. Part numbers and model #;'s are identical on the 2008 and 2012 engines. This is the same generatin from 2008 to 2012 and all is essentially the same with only very minor changes made year to year if any on the engines. 2013 was an altogether revamp but ill bet you all that the engine is the same hp and all. Ok hope to hear from you on this.

Regards,

Craig
Old 04-19-24, 05:36 PM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

Default 08 Lexus ls 600 hl

Someone today who know vehicles fairly well butnot a mechanic tells me this. He says before installing an all new fuel system for this 2008 Lexus ls 600 hL that is not running properly to have the techs to take a look at the 2 fuel pumps on the car to be sure that they both are operating properly. One in the tank and the other on top of the engine. He also aske me if the main coputer board had been replaced and i told him yes. As I have mentioned I had another engine installed recently and he told me that the board needed to be flashed to the engine in order to be able to communicate. Bot of these suggestions make sense befor buying the all new fuel system for the car. Comments and or observtions? Thank you,

Craig