Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

No spare on RX450+

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-24, 10:13 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts
Default No spare on RX450+

I was looking into the 450h plus and was displeased to find there was no spare tire (absurd). This car could have been designed to have both the extra battery capacity and the spare tire. I see this as a safety issue being stranded with no cell signal and a sliced tire beyond temp fix. Lexus keeps taking what we want away and doesn't look back. There reliability keeps me with them but don't understand some of there actions.
Old 02-24-24, 11:04 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 205 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
I was looking into the 450h plus and was displeased to find there was no spare tire (absurd). This car could have been designed to have both the extra battery capacity and the spare tire. I see this as a safety issue being stranded with no cell signal and a sliced tire beyond temp fix. Lexus keeps taking what we want away and doesn't look back. There reliability keeps me with them but don't understand some of there actions.
Our NX450h+ did come with RFT's but our RX450h+ did not. While I agree, it is somewhat annoying but, I did put a lug wrench, a scissor jack and a tire plug kit in both vehicle's cargo area, accompanied by a Makita LXT air pump. I haven't had a flat tire in over thirty years. Perhaps luck has been with me but, I am not overly concerned about it, as I can always call for AAA roadside assistance, if I find myself in a real jam. I suppose that there is only so much room in the cargo area and the spare tire had to be omitted.
Old 02-24-24, 12:09 PM
alextv
Instructor

I rarely have a flat either but would like to have the comfort of knowing it was there in need. I travel at night sometimes to our beach place and do go through areas with no cell signal so that would be a problem if tire was not temp fixable. As for not enough room for a tire the director of engineering tells the design engineer to make it possible and it happens. Haven't actually looked at trunk but wonder if the emergency spare would fit if all the plastic tray lifted out? As for run flat tires for the RX tire selection availability is very slim anyway.
Old 02-24-24, 05:04 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
I rarely have a flat either but would like to have the comfort of knowing it was there in need. I travel at night sometimes to our beach place and do go through areas with no cell signal so that would be a problem if tire was not temp fixable. As for not enough room for a tire the director of engineering tells the design engineer to make it possible and it happens. Haven't actually looked at trunk but wonder if the emergency spare would fit if all the plastic tray lifted out? As for run flat tires for the RX tire selection availability is very slim anyway.
You can try to buy the spare for the Rx350h Luxury trim - which has the same 21 in wheels - as a part from a Lexus dealer. Then carry it in the trunk area when you go through cellphone free or other risky areas. If you find out if that can work - please let us know
Old 02-25-24, 07:00 AM
alextv
Instructor

I am still in the process of figuring out what I want to trade for my 2020 ES300h UL and just looking at all potential downsides. Emergency donut spares are available but would not want to take up trunk space and always have to look at it if not hidden somewhere. That is why I was asking if maybe taking out the plastic tray if a spare would still fit. As for availability for even the stock tire it is still slim and firestone even advised me back in December if I purchased the RX with 21 inch tires to buy 4 and put them in my basement. I do see now that discount tire and costco have finally listed the RX 21 tire on there site for order. This is a great car and I just wish there was at least an option from Lexus to add spare.
Old 02-25-24, 11:32 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

I'm sure Modern Spares would find a good enough market, if they were to expand to spares for the RX450h+ from beyond their spare for the NX450h+
Old 02-25-24, 08:42 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

I wonder if the RX350h underfloor components would fit the RX450h+, thus allowing a spare tire to be carried while still looking stock.
Old 02-25-24, 09:08 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WellsB
I wonder if the RX350h underfloor components would fit the RX450h+, thus allowing a spare tire to be carried while still looking stock.
Did you mean by “underfloor components” just the carrying location of the 350h Lux’s spare in the 450h+ ? Or do you think the suspension or other design of the 450h+ would somehow preclude actually putting on or using the 350h Lux’s spare into the 450h+?
Old 02-25-24, 09:18 PM
WellsB
Advanced

I mean all the plastic stuff that holds the spare and tools. I'd be surprised if the suspension is that different. The only thing I can think of that would impinge on space would be the traction battery charger, but my understanding is that the charger is under the rear seat. Maybe it extends past the seat?
Old 02-25-24, 09:29 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Just watched this video of the NX450h+ and it looks like the charger as well as high voltage relays could be taking up space. I'll have to look at ours and see how hard it would be to remove everything to see under the plastic.

The following users liked this post:
wrinkle (02-25-24)
Old 03-06-24, 05:44 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StefanoS
The come with a battery powered air pump and a bottle of tire sealant.
Did you find any difference between the sealant + pump from the
Flix-a-Flat Flix-a-Flat
, which is already pressurized in the can (doesn't need a pump use) ?

Using a Fix-Flat appears as a simpler thing to do than the manual-described way to use the Lexus-provided sealant and pump... but would it damage the tire or not be effective enough ?
Old 03-07-24, 04:58 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

Using a Fix-Flat appears as a simpler thing to do than the manual-described way to use the Lexus-provided sealant and pump... but would it damage the tire or not be effective enough ?
Do our Lexus' have the foam sound reducer inside the tires? If so, you might induce a balance issue with Flat-Fix. Same would apply to using the factory goop, I would imagine.

Some flat-fix stuff affects the TPMS sensors in the tire valves.

The following users liked this post:
wrinkle (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 09:30 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

[QUOTE=wrinkle;11682415]Did you find any difference between the sealant + pump from the
Flix-a-Flat Flix-a-Flat
, which is already pressurized in the can (doesn't need a pump use) ?

Using a Fix-Flat appears as a simpler thing to do than the manual-described way to use the Lexus-provided sealant and pump... but would it damage the tire or not be effective enough ?[/QUOTE

To be honest, I have never used Fix a Flat. I have used Slime on a bicycle tube and tire before for a small leak but, of course, that does require using an air pump. After some time, the tire is still holding air. If it were my car, I would feel more comfortable putting a plug in it, since it's a tubeless tire. I'm not certain that I would use the liquid sealant. When I take a trip, I will carry my Makita air pump and tubeless tire plug kit with me but, I have not have a flat in over thirty years.......(knock on wood).
Old 03-07-24, 09:59 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Interesting things to think about indeed, for new designs that lose spare tires, Carbuff and Stefanos.... some way to carry a Modern Spare or at least the 21-inch spare from RX350h Luxury trim + jack might be the simplest solution after all, as insurance for when we are in a remote place (with either no cell access or repairshop/dealership access)
Old 03-07-24, 10:36 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wrinkle
Interesting things to think about indeed, for new designs that lose spare tires, Carbuff and Stefanos.... some way to carry a Modern Spare or at least the 21-inch spare from RX350h Luxury trim + jack might be the simplest solution after all, as insurance for when we are in a remote place (with either no cell access or repairshop/dealership access)
I have kicked around the idea of carrying a Modern Spare, or the like, if I were to take a long trip in my RX but, so far, I haven't pulled the trigger. I already have a jack and lug wrench in the back. If I did buy one, I would most likely use something like this to carry it on the road.
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: No spare on RX450+