Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

Thinking about trading-in my '22 450h for a '24 450h+

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 11:58 PM
neilsarkar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Thinking about trading-in my '22 450h for a '24 450h+

Hi everyone,

I am in two minds about trading in my 4th gen (2022) 450h for a 2024 450h+.

Why I want to upgrade

+ I already have an L2 charger at home — hence the big draw for me is never having to burn gasoline except for long trips.
+ Technology wise, the 5th gen RX seems far more advanced than 4th gen.
+ I am hoping to get better MPG (~ 28 MPG) than my 450h.

Why I am dragging my feet

- The 2GR V6 in my RX is one of the smoothest engine I have experienced. I know times are changing, but I feel iffy about spending nearly $80k for a car with I-4 engine.
- Many reviewers bash the capacitative buttons on steering wheel as a regression from the previous design.
- Don't like the lack of spare tire in 5th gen 450h+.

If anyone of you upgraded from a 4th gen 450h to 5th gen 450+, I am very eager to learn about your impressions so far. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by neilsarkar; 03-11-24 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-11-24, 06:10 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I have not traded in a previous RX, but I've driven my RX 450h+ for around 2-3 weeks now (307 miles)

1. I've been able to get 46 miles on EV alone, which was more than enough for the short grocery hops we did. This is more than the estimated 37 miles by Lexus/EPA.

Estimated mpg on HV is around 35 or so I believe, I didn't catch it when I was on full HV for the initial 200+ miles trip back home. I am sure it'll be more than 28 mpg though, depending on your driving.

2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the technology on it, esp the HUD and the safety features. Self parking was cool to watch too.

3. The ride is fantastic and quiet and luxurious. Obviously, I have not done strong acceleration or strong braking yet, but I didn't buy it for a sports car, and I'm sure I'll be babying it a decade from now. Still the 304 hp on it and the 5.8 seconds to 60 mph according to Motor Trend (official est 6.2) probably means you have enough power to accelerate.

4. Not having a spare sucks, but being able to temporarily inflate the damaged tire for the very rare events when you do get a strong flat might alleviate that. I also have AAA so I can always have it towed anyways. Actually, the last time I had a flat that was severe enough to need fixing on the spot (as opposed to noticing it while parked on driveway) was literally more than 20 years ago lol

5. It's a seriously beautiful car, inside and out.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-11-24 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
neilsarkar (03-11-24)
Old 03-11-24, 06:59 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

I have the 2024 350h and average 6.5L/100km (37 MPG) in Ontario Canada winter and was averaging 5.8 L/100 km (40MPG) in the fall.

Where I live I would never see the cost saving to pay for the extra of 450h+ based the extra cost Lexus is currently charging for plug in hybrid over the regular hybrid.

As far the Capacitive touch and the technology, I have both a 2016 RX and a 2024 and I LOVE the tech in the new one. No issues with the touch steering wheel buttons either. Most complaints are from reviewers that don't spend enough time with a car. I don't love the push button doors or the profile based system.

The following 3 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
mikemu30 (03-12-24), neilsarkar (03-11-24), wa3cuj (03-11-24)
Old 03-11-24, 07:48 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Where I live I would never see the cost saving to pay for the extra of 450h+ based the extra cost Lexus is currently charging for plug in hybrid over the regular hybrid.
It's an extra US $8k I believe, which is a lot.

So yeah that depends on how you are using the car.

If you do LOTS of local driving that is less than 60 km (37 miles) or so everyday, then you might be barely using the HV and gas at all over the course of the year, so then it would come down to how much you are paying for kwh at home as well as the cost of gas in your location.

During my first trip out on all EV, I was able to get 5.1 km/kwh (3.2 miles/kwh), although the official estimates are lower than that, so if you look at your electricity bill you can use such measurements to estimate your usage and costs.

I honestly did not work out the economics when I decided to buy the PHEV over the HEV RX 350h. I just wanted to try out the plug-in, as I have had a standard hybrid (Prius) for 14 years now. But it does help that my wife and I mostly go local trips with occasional very long trips, so the PHEV is probably the optimal solution.

Most complaints are from reviewers that don't spend enough time with a car.

I was shaking my head the entire time the Consumer Reports guys were talking about the HUD and the unmarked steering buttons. I love it myself.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-11-24 at 08:00 AM.
StefanoS (03-12-24)
Old 03-11-24, 09:23 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by neilsarkar
Hi everyone,

I am in two minds about trading in my 4th gen (2022) 450h for a 2024 450h+.

Why I want to upgrade

+ I already have an L2 charger at home — hence the big draw for me is never having to burn gasoline except for long trips.
+ Technology wise, the 5th gen RX seems far more advanced than 4th gen.
+ I am hoping to get better MPG (~ 28 MPG) than my 450h.

Why I am dragging my feet

- The 2GR V6 in my RX is one of the smoothest engine I have experienced. I know times are changing, but I feel iffy about spending nearly $80k for a car with I-4 engine.
- Many reviewers bash the capacitative buttons on steering wheel as a regression from the previous design.
- Don't like the lack of spare tire in 5th gen 450h+.

If anyone of you upgraded from a 4th gen 450h to 5th gen 450+, I am very eager to learn about your impressions so far. Thanks in advance.
I have not upgraded from a previous Lexus but, I have owned many Toyotas along the way. My wife's previous car was a 2017 Acura RDX, which was a smooth and gutsy little 3.5L V6. Currently, we have two 450h+ models, an RX and an NX. The RX is the quietest and smoothest driving car that I have ever owned. It has plenty of power when needed. In fact, as pointed out by WellsB, it is faster than the current Lexus 4 cylinder turbo models. I have no issues with the steering wheel buttons and as Toyotaman7 mentioned, it is most likely people not spending enough time familiarizing themselves with the features. The lack of a spare was not a deal breaker, as I also have AAA, although I have never had to call for roadside assistance, since I've had no flat tires for over thirty years. The RX has only seen a gas station twice since I bought it in October. The NX has only been to the gas station once since it arrived in December. All things considered, I have no regrets about buying either of these two vehicles. Spending a premium dollar amount for one of these cars may seem frivolous but, you get what you pay for in life. I wanted a reliable PHEV, as I was not quite ready to buy a BEV yet and I think it was a good choice.
JTT (03-16-24)
Old 03-11-24, 12:41 PM
omar33
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not a 450h+ owner (350h actually) but I have some thoughts:
- With regards to missing the V6, if you are planning to use mostly EV mode and use in ICE mode for long drives, you won't notice the engine all that much while driving at constant speed on the highway. Yes this engine does not sound pleasant when accelerating hard but I think most people won't be flooring them.
- I am personally ok with the capacitive buttons on the steering wheel, its not intuitive at first but you get use to it after a few days. I take issue with reviewers because most don't do long term reviews. Once you get use it, its really quite a clever way to keep your eyes on the road to perform a lot of basic functions.
- If I had to bet, build quality and materials likely went a slight step down, though I don't have first had knowledge on this. I think there is less interior wood trim used and people question if this is real wood. Also there is more hard plastic than I would like to see used in a luxury SUV (in the door pockets and door handle area).

If I were in your shoes I would be torn upgrading as well. Your car is only 2 years old and I don't know if you are better off keeping that car a few more years versus paying up for a $80k car. What you save in gas with the new car is probably less than what you lose in trading in the old one. Though I could totally be wrong here.
neilsarkar (03-12-24)
Old 03-12-24, 01:33 AM
MooneyPilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

1300 miles + with our wounded RX450h+ and I can honestly say that the little 4 banger is well isolated and there is just a muted growl when getting on it. Passing ability is pretty good for the times you need it as long as you’re in ev/hv. I’m still trying to warm up to the ECVT after driving the slick acura DCT on the mdx we had. Current full charge range is at 38 mi(up from 31 when we first brought it home.