Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

450h Gen 3 to Gen 4 Transition.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-24, 08:23 AM
Kulharin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 450h Gen 3 to Gen 4 Transition.

Going from a Gen 2 to Gen 3 was fairly straight forward. The Gen 4 seems a bit more complicated with all the tech. I am hoping someone can assist to help make the transition smoother.

1.) Should mileage be worse than the second and third gen? HWY seemed to be consuming more fuel than my gen 3, even in eco mode. I wasn't driving it any differently. But it seemed to be using an extra 1.0 liter per 100 KM on average?

2.) The parking assist is freaking out because I have a trailer hitch bike rack, so anytime I put it into reverse I get a constant warning alarm due to the bike rack. Is there any way around that or do I have to disable the parking assist feature entirely? ... I was also getting a "clean parking sensors" that seemed to appear which triggered the check engine light, but it then disappeared after I restarted the vehicle?

3.) The tire pressure sensor seemed to start malfunctioning when I was about 75km from the dealership. Is there anyway to "reset" it?

4.) In the Gen 3 the seat belt alarm would **** pretty quick, Gen 4 is seems to constantly go off. Can this be disabled. I always use my seat belt when driving around town and on highways. But I am just crawling along in a slow residential neighbor hood. Or sometimes I have a bunch of stuff on my passenger seat so it thinks I have a passenger.
Old 04-03-24, 09:19 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Kulharin
Going from a Gen 2 to Gen 3 was fairly straight forward. The Gen 4 seems a bit more complicated with all the tech. I am hoping someone can assist to help make the transition smoother.

1.) Should mileage be worse than the second and third gen? HWY seemed to be consuming more fuel than my gen 3, even in eco mode. I wasn't driving it any differently. But it seemed to be using an extra 1.0 liter per 100 KM on average?

2.) The parking assist is freaking out because I have a trailer hitch bike rack, so anytime I put it into reverse I get a constant warning alarm due to the bike rack. Is there any way around that or do I have to disable the parking assist feature entirely? ... I was also getting a "clean parking sensors" that seemed to appear which triggered the check engine light, but it then disappeared after I restarted the vehicle?

3.) The tire pressure sensor seemed to start malfunctioning when I was about 75km from the dealership. Is there anyway to "reset" it?

4.) In the Gen 3 the seat belt alarm would **** pretty quick, Gen 4 is seems to constantly go off. Can this be disabled. I always use my seat belt when driving around town and on highways. But I am just crawling along in a slow residential neighbor hood. Or sometimes I have a bunch of stuff on my passenger seat so it thinks I have a passenger.
I can only address question 4. Yes, the seatbelt warning can be disabled by the dealer, but many dealers don’t like to do it. They are probably worried about liability. You can disable it yourself using a phone app such as Carista (subscription required, but you can subscribe briefly to make any necessary changes, then cancel) or Techstream software on a Windows PC. I believe those familiar with Techstream indicated that it needs to be a Windows 7 PC and also requires a database product such as MySQL. I have only used Carista with a Bluetooth ODB dongle.
Old 04-03-24, 09:23 AM
Kulharin
Rookie

Is this not valid for the 4th gen?

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...-buzzer-367179

Edit:

Also, can ICS sensitivity be lowered? I saw I could change parking assist and collision detection sensitivity in the settings.

with a bike on my bike rack the ICS sensors freak out. It will auto brake when reversing and then the system will malfunction and flash and say I need to clean the sensors until I restart the car. I can disable the system entirely but then I get a bright orange warning light on my dashboard for the system being off.

Last edited by Kulharin; 04-03-24 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-04-24, 08:02 AM
Kulharin
Rookie

Also, am I blind or has the dedicated "Snow" mode been removed in the 4th generation?

Old 04-04-24, 09:03 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Also, am I blind or has the dedicated "Snow" mode been removed in the 4th generation?
4th gen hybrids don’t get a dedicated “Snow Mode” button. I’m sorry, but I cannot recall the technical reason for this but I remember thinking the explanation made sense (to me anyway). I’m actually surprised your 3rd Gen 450h had that button/feature. I don’t believe my NX hybrid had one either - but I honestly can’t swear to that.

Last edited by TechNut; 04-04-24 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-04-24, 09:15 AM
Kulharin
Rookie

Does that mean the4th gen AWD system essentially figures itself out in the snow and handles well it well enough without being manually toggled?

Both the 3rd gen and 2nd gen RX hybrid did have a button for this... I hope improvements to the AWD in the 4th gen are enough to offset that?

edit: mileage actually seems better in the city yet worse on the hwy. I guess that can be attributed to the improvements to the Hybrid technology?

Last edited by Kulharin; 04-04-24 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-05-24, 12:52 AM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

edit: mileage actually seems better in the city yet worse on the hwy. I guess that can be attributed to the improvements to the Hybrid technology?
Yes, the hybrid is improved. however 4th gen has bigger and heavier wheels all around which offsets any economy gain.
Old 04-05-24, 05:10 AM
Kulharin
Rookie

I was wrong, mileage is better overall. I had the meter settings at km per liter rather than liter per100km . Average mileage is 1.5 litres per 100 km better compared to my 2010.

I am annoyed parking assist and ICS is completely busted by the bike rack, so much so I cannot benefit from it for the front of the vehicle.

If I don’t turn both off myself they’ll malfunction as soon as I put it in reverse and back out. After the initial proximity warning or auto brake it then tells me to clean the sensors then both auto disable with the check engine light and flashing ics light.
Old 04-05-24, 09:26 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Does that mean the4th gen AWD system essentially figures itself out in the snow and handles well it well enough without being manually toggled?

Both the 3rd gen and 2nd gen RX hybrid did have a button for this... I hope improvements to the AWD in the 4th gen are enough to offset that?

I would assume that to be the case, but I cannot back that assumption up with any specific facts. It’s merely my opinion since I cannot recall the specific explanation or the credibility of that discussion.