Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2023 up RX model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fifth generation RX models.

Power outlets remain active after locking doors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24 | 03:46 PM
gregorTT
Rookie

Default Power outlets remain active after locking doors?

Greetings all - I am resurrecting this older thread for a 12V battery-related question. I am currently researching in anticipation of purchasing a RX450h+...all the discussion on the anemic 12V battery issue has kept me busy! I am wondering if anyone knows if any of the cigarette lighter plugs remain active after locking doors? I ask because I currently have a couple Porsches in the garage, which are notorious for parasitic battery drain, that I keep on NOCO Genius maintainers by plugging into a dedicated cigarette lighter plug. Porsche actually designed keeping a plug active into many of their cars for just that purpose. SO, I am wonder if the Lexus has similar? I could attach a pigtail to the battery terminals for when I want to use the maintainer, I suppose, but it would be convenient to plug into a lighter plug, if available (and I've developed that habit already!). Thanks!
Old 05-14-24 | 09:05 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

The cigarette lighter plug on my 350h goes dead as soon as the car is turned off regardless of whether the doors are locked.
The following users liked this post:
gregorTT (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24 | 09:18 AM
gregorTT
Rookie

Thanks for the response - it is slightly unfortunate that it is that way, but not a show- stopper...
Old 05-14-24 | 10:02 AM
alextv
Instructor

Originally Posted by gregorTT
Thanks for the response - it is slightly unfortunate that it is that way, but not a show- stopper...
In the old days there were a lot of dead batteries because the 12v port was always live with accessories plugged in.
Old 05-14-24 | 10:21 AM
WellsB
Advanced

I use one of these for my dashboard solar charger in vehicles without a live 12v outlet.

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...ccessory-Cable
Old 05-14-24 | 12:33 PM
gregorTT
Rookie

Originally Posted by WellsB
I use one of these for my dashboard solar charger in vehicles without a live 12v outlet.

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...ccessory-Cable
UPDATE: This is no longer available for the Noco Genius. Looks like it'll be direct attachments to the battery for me!

I didn't know about these -- thanks! Looks like there is one for my Noco Genius, too.
Amazon.com: NOCO GC012 X-Connect OBD-II Adapter Accessory Genius Smart Battery Chargers, One Size : Automotive Amazon.com: NOCO GC012 X-Connect OBD-II Adapter Accessory Genius Smart Battery Chargers, One Size : Automotive

Last edited by gregorTT; 05-14-24 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 05-14-24 | 05:13 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Noco does make a SAE adapter.
Old 05-14-24 | 06:29 PM
gregorTT
Rookie

Noco does make a SAE adapter.
Yep, I have two of them. Just hoping to find a solution that I could plug in only when i wanted to top off the 12V. My issue with the SAE adapter is its always attached, necessitating a solution to store the cable and plug out of the way, yet easily accessible.....
Old 05-14-24 | 06:39 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Originally Posted by gregorTT
Yep, I have two of them. Just hoping to find a solution that I could plug in only when i wanted to top off the 12V. My issue with the SAE adapter is its always attached, necessitating a solution to store the cable and plug out of the way, yet easily accessible.....
Not sure we're talking about the same thing.
This;
https://no.co/gc009 can plug into the BatteryTender OBD2 adapter.
Old 05-14-24 | 08:36 PM
gregorTT
Rookie

Not sure we're talking about the same thing.
This;
https://no.co/gc009 can plug into the BatteryTender OBD2 adapter.
You are right - I was in left field on that one. that would work to connect the OBDII plug you linked above to my Genius. Thanks!