Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2013 ES300h transmission issues ? Shaking / shudder

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-24, 07:01 PM
jsb99
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 ES300h transmission issues ? Shaking / shudder

Sorry for a very long first post but wanted to get all the info out there in the beginning. Short version shaking in driver floor between 40 -50 and most noticeable at 45mph.

I have not been able to find any info after exhaustive searches but wondering if anyone else has this issue or has had transmission issues. Bought the car from Carvana and i'm about 14 days and 1000 miles from the end of my 100 day warranty so just trying to get this fixed if it really is an issue. I know Toyota hybrid trans failures are almost no existent. This is also my 3rd Toyota hybrid so I am very familar with them.

I've been noticing an issue where when taking off from a complete stop ( and usually only from a complete stop does this happen ) the car will start to shake in the driver floor between 40 -50 and is most noticeable at 45mph. The shaking is not felt in the steering wheel and has been verified there is no suspension or steering components that are bad. One shop said they never felt it so took it to another today and one tech said he kind of felt it and another who drove it said he for sure felt it and thinks it's something in the transmission. The last week or so it also seems like the transmission whine is louder than normal especially when letting of the gas and the regen braking kicks in. The shop is going to verify tires are mounted and balanced correctly Monday and also test drive it again and have another tech ride along to view and save live data while the shaking happens. Also need to mention code scan comes back completely clear when I scanned with techstream the other day and when scanned today with whatever scanner the shop uses so if they can't find some proof of trans issue then warranty won't pay.

Car is 2013 ES300h purchased in March with 97K miles which was one owner and complete dealer service history every 5K miles from new. Bought the car based on the history and knowing the only major things ever done to it were a couple of lock actuators, a leaking strut at 47K and the brake actuator at 94K. All 4 wheel bearings have since been replaced drivers side due to misdiagnosis and passenger side which solved the wheel bearing noise. Transmission fluid was changed about 2k miles ago with OEM WS fluid and verified in the last few days again it's at the correct level. Drained fluid was reddish brown but definitely not burnt or bad. Car also has all brand new tires.

Old 05-31-24, 08:00 PM
Aegean
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

I hope it something like cupped tires or unbalanced wheels. As you said these hybrid transmissions are extremely reliable. So, if the experienced tech is suspecting the transmission and you did a recent fluid change it might be something wrong with that process. The WS fluid is just drain and refill on a car like the Gen 2 Prius, however the 300h is connected to the radiator and needs to be changed in 2 steps. You drain, refill, run the engine (in inspection mode) for 30 sec, drain and refill. Was that done correctly?

Also checking the transmission fluid is tricky. Most cars specify a specific fluid temperature to check the level because fluid expands. The Lexus manual does not but it is implied to be operating temperature by instructing to check fluid after driving. Remember when we change fluid it is cold so checking the level then is not accurate.

I would change the inexpensive WS fluid one more time to be sure it is not that.
Old 05-31-24, 09:30 PM
jsb99
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply ! Tires are brand new with about 3K miles on them now but I can't remember if it was doing it then or started at a later time. Rebalancing and checking for bent wheels is on their list for Monday as they did notice either weights are missing from atleast one or the adhesive was left behind when old ones were removed. The last discount tire that replaced two tire sensors I've had issues with before on other vehicles and have had to have them rebalanced at another location. I did find another post somewhere else where someone had a similar issue and it was their tires and alignment where the rear toe was out. The car did have an alignment when the passenger side wheel bearings were replaced but I did not get the print out of the results. My thought was if it was a tire balance or wear issue though it would be felt in the steering wheel but maybe not.

Also saw a few other posts this evening in other places with very similar complaints and it was suggested it could be the car being in a spot where it is rapidly switching between ice and ev mode which would make sense. I never paid attention or thought to look and see if the ev light was going on and off when this was happening.

As for the transmission fluid change I also can't remember if it was already doing it then or started after but you may also be on to something there. I've done fluid changes on both gen 2 and 3 prius before but none of the DIY's I found for the ES300H mentioned it going through the radiator or it needing to be up to temp when checking after a change but that would make sense. When it was checked the other day the car was warm but had been sitting for a while after it had been driven. if they can't pinpoint any other cause I'll for sure do another change when I get it back or may do it just for saftey sake.

Logged in as jsb99
Title:

Lead Lap

Received 778 Likes on 527 Posts

The es300h doesn’t shake between ice and ev. So it’s not that.

Why did you change the transmission fluid?
Old 06-02-24, 03:24 PM
jsb99
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 703
The es300h doesn’t shake between ice and ev. So it’s not that.

Why did you change the transmission fluid?
Transmission fluid was changed because it was almost 100K miles and it's the same thing I did in both Prius I've had in the past. Also since the majority consensus is do it even though Toyota says they don't need it. Not sure I would do it again had I not already done it but it's been done so no going back on that one. I'm not convinced it's a transmission issue knowing the history of Toyota Hybrids except for possibly a fluid level issue but then again I can't say whether or not the issue was there before or started after the fluid change.

I'm going to get the car back from the shop tomorrow as it's apparent they know nothing about Toyota hybrid transmissions since I kept having to explain to them it's not a regular cvt and does not have a belt or a torque converter.
Old 06-02-24, 04:40 PM
Lead Lap

Received 778 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by jsb99
Toyota Hybrids except for possibly a fluid level issue but then again I can't say whether or not the issue was there before or started after the fluid change.
Temperature is not important for this transmission fluid change, but they need to use Techstream to idle engine for 30secs after first fill, then 30secs check level/fill (3x times) to get the correct level. Unlikely they followed the steps in the repair manual and just did a lazy drain and fill. Hence I never recommend fluid change unless you do towing in a hybrid. The accuracy needs to be within 0.197 inch of the filler plug. There has never been reports of the hybrid transmission failing because of no fluid change, but plenty of cases where it wasn't done correctly and it never drives the same.

Last edited by 703; 06-05-24 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-02-24, 07:36 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

These transmission are durable as hell. Im at 140k and I think the fluid has never been changed but cannot confirm. I have owned the Es300h for the past 20k miles and do not notice any shake like your saying. I will say, the shifter plate (you know the piano black piece), is hot/warm to touch. Not sure if thats normal or abnormal.

Hopefully you get to resolve your matter and maybe its something else not due to the transmission it self
Old 06-10-24, 11:55 PM
matelot
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
...Unlikely they followed the steps in the repair manual and just did a lazy drain and fill
From what I have read & spoken with shops - the 3-time-drain-fill only exists on the service manual paper, no shops ever done that.
I did read one time one guy did it himself "by the book". I think he used new fluid all 3 times, no re-use.

....plenty of cases where it wasn't done correctly and it never drives the same.
Plenty really ? I have been following this topic since last Sept. researched here and toyotanation,
i can't recall ever reading anyone reporting post-ATF-change issue.

Last edited by matelot; 06-11-24 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-11-24, 12:00 AM
matelot
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jsb99
...I can't say whether or not the issue was there before or started after the fluid change.
huh ? car purchased in March, when did you get the ATF change ?
Old 06-11-24, 09:16 AM
jsb99
4th Gear

Originally Posted by matelot
huh ? car purchased in March, when did you get the ATF change ?
I can't say 100% this issue was or wasn't there before the ATF change as it wasn't driven much at that time. ATF was changed late March or early April and done again last week to make sure the level was correct. My belief is it was overfilled the first time as you could see some oily dirt on top of the transmission around what appears to be a vent but not sure that's what it is. When I removed the fill plug fluid immediately started running out not a lot but definitely more than should have been if any. Drained and refilled and let it sit until there was for sure nothing else dripping out, started the car in maintenance mode for 30 seconds and checked again and nothing came out. Vibration still mostly there but not always.

I'm still not convinced it has anything to do with the transmission as I've done the drain and fill in the past on two different Prius and never had an issue. I'm more on the track of a CV axle or motor / transmission mount as i've read about both of those causing vibrations or the wheel bearing was not installed correctly when replaced. I don't know what bearing they used but I know it was from a local parts store and likely they cheapest available. When I picked it up from the shop the lead tech was telling the owner he believed it was something drive line and specifically mentioned mount or axle after swearing to me it was a torque converter lock up issue to which I replied it does not have a torque converter and it's not a regular CVT like he kept implying.

I did find a post where someone else leased a low mileage CPO 6th gen and had the same exact issue at 45mph also. Dealers never did find a problem and were claiming it was normal but no further updates as they were trying to have it bought back. For now i'm just waiting to see if it gets worse or if something more evident appears as I don't want to bring out the parts cannon and replace OEM parts that may not be bad with aftermarket or reman.